Opinions wanted to help a newbie (please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJ967x
    • Oct 2008

Opinions wanted to help a newbie (please)

I am thinking about trying the DIY hobby so I am asking all you experienced hobbyists (and pro's) for an opinion on LCR home theater speakers for my first build with 90% HT use but still sound slightly above average for 2ch. I would a total budget of $1000 or less for all five speakers of 5.1 (exclude sub) so $800 for front three if possible. I am flexible if there is a huge step in quality to spend a couple of hundred more or on the flip side save a little if there isn't enough gain after passing $600 to justify a couple of hundred more unless I go all the way to $1500.

Room is 15X20 ish with vaulted ceiling and hardwood floors, the floor plan has two open entries along the long left wall with a fireplace/mantle in center see pic attached. Speakers shown for L&R are Boston T930 with Linn AV-5120 center until I get my Linn AV-5140's repaired, the surround split on the mid's at the end of the cone like someone took a razor blade an sliced a clean line.

I thought of doing on wall for a clean look but I don't want to sacrifice output and sound stage but if you have a a design that works I am open to all thoughts.
    I have moved all electronics to a closet so the front wall is open to all options. What I desire is to feel the sound so a non fatiguing sound that can produce a lot of SPL with ease. I was in the audio business for a few years around 1991, I was a car audio guy but did wander over to home hi fi on occasion so I will give you a reference of what I liked back then. IIRC my favorite home speaker we carried was the Kef 105 or 107 not exactly sure and for car audio it was the ADS 320i which I perceived to be on the warm and mellow side of sound. I do like ample amounts of bass (probably a bass junkie but not a boom junkie) so I will be using some type of dual subs (currently using HSU VFT3) like the Emotiva sealed 12's which may not be earthquake amounts of bass but the user interface, 1000 watts of power and room EQ options make it very appealing. I am also considering the DIY servo system with dual sealed 15's that is in the future which has 600 watts of power. The subs will either reside under the TV or in the right corner along the right wall side by side or single enclosure if DIY.

Amplification will be handled by an ATI 1505 which at a 4 ohm load should produce in the area of 250wpc IIRC with a B&K 5x100 if extra channels are needed and Emotiva LMC-1 processor until the XMC-1 becomes available which will have auto room EQ options.

Hopefully that is enough info to get us started so please share your wealth of info.

One last question, would three identical front speakers sound better (more natural) than the horizontal match option. WAF is not usually an issue, it factors more on weird vs normal but she will accept my decision if I feel strong enough about my choice and there is no similar alternative in the price/performace category.

Thanks for your time to read my ramble.
    Attached Files
  • David_D
    • Feb 2008

Hi there RJ967X,
    One popular design that falls around you budget is the "Statements" line.
    Here is a link to an independant review.
    Notice pricing has increased for all the designs in this section of the forum. People should use the BOM's and check with suppliers for current prices The Statements are a ported W-M/T/M-W design based on Dayton RS225 woofers, Tangband W4-1337S Titanium mids and a Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon tweeter. The mids are an open backed
    -David

As we try and consider
    We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

800 for the front 3 is probably going to be hard. And leaving 200 for surrounds is about impossible.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Just to give you an idea, I spent about $520/pr to build the Statments Monitors, and about $350 for the center.
        -Chuck

Comment

• RJ967x
          • Oct 2008

The statements did catch my eye and I thought the BOM was $815 and read $200 less for mini version. I was pretty sure I have seen a few surround capable builds for less than $200. G&R has a few options at $300 to $600 for mains.

What do you think about the three towers in front vs horizontal center?

Comment

• David_D
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by RJ967x
            What do you think about the three towers in front vs horizontal center?
            effin awesome! Jealousy!
            -David

As we try and consider
            We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• 1Michael
              • Sep 2006

With that budget I would not build 5 speakers. Start with 2 good mains, then a center, and finally 2 rear channels. In the end you will be much happier with the 2 better than average mains that you can add to later on. The 2 mains are the most important especially if you listen to music :T
              Michael
              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"