X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdiddy
    • Sep 2008

Modification of Solen's Budgeto III

I'd like to build Solen's Budgeto III. The tweeter is out of stock so I'm wondering if someone could fill me in on a good replacement. I really have no experience with this at all. Is there any replacement I could use that would keep the crossover intact, or would it have to be modified according to each speaker?

How do I make the rectangular port at the bottom? I can't find a plastic part that matches that on their site. Can I just make it out of MDF?

Cheers.
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

I believe the woofer should be out of stock, too. I tried to find one a couple of months ago, and it was sold out everywhere.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dave Bullet
      • Jul 2007

If you are using these speakers for general music use at a normal listening distance, I would not build them.

There is no baffle step compensation designed into the crossover, meaning the speaker will have weak bass. Voices and music will sound "thin".

Find another design using the same woofer - and implement that speaker's crossover, enclosure and alternate tweeter.

David.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Yeah, like Dave said, Solen isn't known for good crossover designs.

Comment

• fdiddy
          • Sep 2008

Ok. That's fine with me. I love music and want a good speaker for music. I like a warm sound and will be using an HK receiver (247 or 254 probably) with an external amp to power them. My budget for the pair is under $200. I really like Noah's 8s from PE. Can someone help me design something similar using parts from a Canadian retailer? Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers

Comment

• Dave Bullet
            • Jul 2007

Take a look at the missions accomplished here or www.zaphaudio.com

Zaph is a well regarded designer and has just released a new budget ZMV5 2-way speaker that would likely meet your budget goals - even if you had to ship from USA - assuming a Candian supplier (solen?) doesn't stock.

Alternatively, look for designs with parts you can get from Solen. Zaph's site has quite a few good options.

Cheers,
            David.

Comment

• fdiddy
              • Sep 2008

I've read all the mission accomplished resources here and at zaph. I was most interested in the Natalie P's, but never could pull the trigger. Reasons:
              - I want floor standing speakers
              - I don't like the big-small-big look
              If I found bookshelves that I liked, I could just build stands that would make it look like a tower so this is not necessarily a deal breaker. My ideal look would be a TM or a TW with a port underneath the larger driver. Aesthetics are very important to me and I won't build a speaker that I don't like to look at even if it gives me mystical performance.

How swappable are parts? Say I can't find the tweeter that a certain build uses, can I swap it out with one of the same size and ratings without having to modify the xo?

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

I would look at these: http://www.audioheuristics.org/proje...ence_rs225.htm

Just build them as floorstanders. In that case you could use the same volume and port as Curt C uses in the Statements. I think that would be an awesome, very good sounding speaker.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by fdiddy
                  Ok. That's fine with me. I love music and want a good speaker for music. I like a warm sound and will be using an HK receiver (247 or 254 probably) with an external amp to power them. My budget for the pair is under $200. I really like Noah's 8s from PE. Can someone help me design something similar using parts from a Canadian retailer? Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers
                  The Noah 8's uses inferior drivers, and the crossover was designed with X-Over 3 - which is hardly a step above a textbook crossover designer. I'd definitely avoid them...

Just about anything ever made by Zaph is OK! He's an extremely talented designer.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dave Bullet
                    • Jul 2007

I've read all the mission accomplished resources here and at zaph. I was most interested in the Natalie P's, but never could pull the trigger. Reasons:
                    - I want floor standing speakers
                    - I don't like the big-small-big look
                    If I found bookshelves that I liked, I could just build stands that would make it look like a tower so this is not necessarily a deal breaker. My ideal look would be a TM or a TW with a port underneath the larger driver. Aesthetics are very important to me and I won't build a speaker that I don't like to look at even if it gives me mystical performance.

How swappable are parts? Say I can't find the tweeter that a certain build uses, can I swap it out with one of the same size and ratings without having to modify the xo?
                    You can make any bookshelf you like into a floor stander. Just keep the internal enclosure dimensions the same (ie. insert a false shelf to keep the volume the same) and you'll be fine. Yes - extending baffle length will affect the baffle step and signature slightly, but nothing compared to poor quality drivers and crossover design in the first place.

Re swapping a tweeter out - the short answer is no, not unless the designer has said so. Have a look at missions accomplished. You could argue the RS28 and 27TBFC/G tweeters have similar specs - but the designers which provide for both those tweeters have DIFFERENT crossovers.

David.

Comment

• fdiddy
                      • Sep 2008

Near the bottom of Zaph's new ZMV5 page, it talks about adding a port under the woofer for near field listening. Would the port have a negative impact on a normal ~10 foot listening position? What would be the optimal size and distance from the woofer?

Since my choices seem to be poor, if not the ZMV5, what do you guys think would be the highest quality build in my budget?

Thanks again for all the responses, keep 'em coming. Cheers.

Comment

• fdiddy
                        • Sep 2008

Port anybody?

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Near the bottom of Zaph's new ZMV5 page, it talks about adding a port under the woofer for near field listening.
                          He's saying if you're building the ported version, and if the speaker is being used nearfield, then put the port on the front so it's not obstructed.

For a 10' listening distance you can put the port anywhere as long as it's not obstructed

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"