X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobblepots
    • May 2008

Burned a capacitor...

So I was working on my crossovers yesterday and accidently let the side of the iron touch a capacitor. The black casing melted away slightly (about the size of a pea). The white underneath is visible. Should I be worried? Should I buy a new one? Slightly anoyed at myself about that
  • dmalphur
    • Jun 2007

At worst you shorted a few layers of the capacitor together, reducing the capacitance slightly. Do you have a multimeter to measure the capacitance? If its within 10% or so of the needed value don't worry about it, you'll likely not notice.

-David

Comment

• cobblepots
      • May 2008

I don't have a multi-meter available. Best I have at the moment is a lightbulb continuity tester for faulty soldering jobs. It's a very small burn and from what you are saying I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Pictures!
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Mike B
          • Aug 2008

Test to see if it's shorted. If shorted toss it, it could damage your amp.

Comment

• Amphiprion
            • Apr 2006

I would toss it. It's doubtful you improved it's performance any Even if it passes a continuity test its performance still might not be too good.

Comment

• pedroskova
              • Mar 2007

If it's a metalized polypropylene, don't worry about it.

Comment

• cobblepots
                • May 2008

I don't have any pictures with me at the office. Off the top of my head I can't remeber which one it is exactly. It was a Jantzen 5.6 or 3.3mh on the high frequency circuit of the Mini statments network. It's a polypropylene capacitor.

Another question while I'm at it, how far back has everyone been placing the foam lining in the transmission tunnel? Should I place it all the way back against the baffle? I will tune the length to listening tastes but I havn't read anything about where to place the foam in relation to the TB. Thanks for the great advice as always!

The speakers are very close to being finished. I have all the x-overs finished and ready to test and the baffles painted. But with my trip to Japan next week and the extra work I have to do at the office I don't think I'll be making any noise out of them until the first weekend of November. The polishing, grills, and veneer work will come at a later date and I'll probably only do one at a time.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by cobblepots
                  Another question while I'm at it, how far back has everyone been placing the foam lining in the transmission tunnel? Should I place it all the way back against the baffle? I will tune the length to listening tastes but I havn't read anything about where to place the foam in relation to the TB. Thanks for the great advice as always!
                  The 1" foam lining in the mid tunnel is a bit touchy in that it must be held back from the back of the W4-1337SA about 2" with the driver end of the foam beveled at a 45 degree angle. I just flush the foam at the back of the speaker.

Following the process I outlined will allow the mid to match the woofers/ribbon and have the mid range clarity the Statements series is known for. If the foam is too close to the back of the mid and isn't beveled, it kills the mids.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• cobblepots
                    • May 2008

Thanks for your input!

Comment

• Luke
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by dmalphur
                      At worst you shorted a few layers of the capacitor together, reducing the capacitance slightly. Do you have a multimeter to measure the capacitance? If its within 10% or so of the needed value don't worry about it, you'll likely not notice.

-David
                      If he shorted a few layers together it doesn't reduce capacitance slightly. IT's caput!
                      Just measure resistance with ohmeter and you will see if it's shorted.
                      If it is shorted the cap is destroyed, whatever dielectric technology.

Luke

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

Even if it's not shorted, there are a lot of other things that can be wrong with it. I'd toss it.

Comment

• cobblepots
                          • May 2008

Now it looks like the forum is leaning towards tossing it. Looks like that's what I'll do. It's not worth frying a TB AND buying a new capacitor

Comment

• fbov
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ---k---
                            Pictures!
                            I bump Ryan's request because your description may not mean the same thing to us as it does to you. Pictures are also cheaper than new parts ... And I bet responses will be more uniform.

Frank

Comment

• cobblepots
                              • May 2008

I'm new to the post pictures thing. what res/size does it have to be? How do I post it?

I've been at work 8-5 every day and working on night school from 5-11. Little time for anything during the week...

Comment

• Luke
                                • Sep 2008

Now it looks like the forum is leaning towards tossing it. Looks like that's what I'll do. It's not worth frying a TB AND buying a new capacitor
                                Yeah. And if your cap is shorted and your crossover has a shunt coil, the whole amp will be shorted!
                                Get rid of this cap as, anyway specs are all changed.

Luke

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

I'm new to the post pictures thing. what res/size does it have to be? How do I post it?
                                  800x600 jpg less than 100k works well.
                                  In advance posting mode, use the "Manage Attachments" button to upload the picture to the post.
                                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dmalphur
                                    • Jun 2007

Doh. I thought about it more and Luke (and the others) are right. I still doubt that anything is wrong with it, but since you can't test it, I agree that tossing it would be best.

-David

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"