X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Nulls in bass

Hey everyone, it's been quite the while since I've last posted. A lot has been going on; I finally graduated from undergrad and am getting my Ph.D. I just bought a new house and was setting up a room to be my designated theater room. I noticed that I was getting really bad nulls throughout the room. At some places, the bass was very nice and tight, others it was muddy, and in other places there was almost no bass. I was wondering what could be causing that? I'll post pictures of the room once I get my digital camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • bluewizard
    • Mar 2008

Just a preliminary thought, but if you are getting these nulls then it is probably because you are getting strong reflections off the walls and ceiling.

To sort things out, you need to add some acoustical treatments of some type. These could be curtains, rugs, etc.... Or you might have to go as far as bass traps, sound absorbing panels, and diffusers.

Here are some links I posted in another thread, that should help give you an idea of the possibilities.

You can use real acoustical convoluted foam, but except that that is going to cost significant money.

A better compromise it to use convoluted packing foam as seen here -

Uline stocks over 29,000 shipping boxes, packing materials and mailing supplies. Same day shipping for cardboard shipping boxes, plastic bags, janitorial, retail and shipping supplies.

in pink or charcoal; I'm guessing you'll want charcoal.

Just one small note, the packing foam, is not specifically flame retardant the way acoustical foam is. Though acoustical foam is flame retardant to some standard, I have no idea how strict that particular standard is.

I did try burning packing foam (very old), upholstery foam, and some foam backed carpet. The old packing foam would sustain a slow flame on it's own. The upholstery foam, burned as long as I held a flame to it, but when out when I moved the the flame away. The foam backed carpet, would sustain a flame, but was slightly harder to ignite.

You'll have to use your judgment here.

For more professional room treatments, check out these links -

A DIY source for ridged fiberglass insulation.

RealTraps high-performance acoustic treatment.

Check out their on-line videos.

Source of acoustical foam in several configurations as well has other products.

Cut out background noise, disruptive frequencies and more with our premium acoustic wedge foam. Take your next audio recording to the next level of clarity.

Another source of foam.

Order Direct - GIK Acoustics designs made-to-order bass traps, acoustic panels and acoustic diffusion for home theaters, recording studios, restaurants, listening rooms, auditoriums, and any environment where listening is critical. 5-Star Rated from +500 reviews for our acoustic treatment panels and acoustic room treatments. GIK Acoustics is known for its expert room acoustics advice and as a leader in producing the highest quality acoustic panels and sound panels at the most affordable price. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, GIK Acoustics creates the most effective sound absorbing panels and sound diffusers for commercial and residential applications, used in any space where sound clarity is important.

Silent Source is your one-stop-shop for all your interior acoustical treatments at very competitive prices including Acoustical Treatment and Soundproofing.

Wide assortment of sound damping materials.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• minkuni
      • Feb 2008

Standing waves and room (eigen)modes are two names for the problem. It is related to the physical shape of the room and it is impossible to remove its effect in a normal room with realistic treatments. Correctly tuned Helmholtz resonators (bass traps) can help with the worst peaks, but ultimately you just have to find the best placing of the speakers and listening position in order to minimize the effect.

Try this calculator to see which frequencies your room has standing waves at.

Buy a copy of The Master Handbook of Acoustics and spend some time studying. The time and money invested in the book could save you some money which you otherwise might have spent on fancy cables :B
      Hail to Slay Radio baby!

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Inu_Yasha
        At some places, the bass was very nice and tight, others it was muddy, and in other places there was almost no bass. I was wondering what could be causing that?
        Start here....

here

and here

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"