X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LING GOWA
    • Dec 2007

3-way Opinions Please

What to you think of this setup? I don't have a workshop so I will be using the PE .75 cabs. This baffle is too small to put all three drivers on it. I have the woofer mid & Seas tweeter.

WOOFER = ETON 8-800/37
    MIDRANGE = VIFA PL11MH09-08
    TWEETER = HI-VI TN28 or SEAS 27TFFNC/G (H1396-04)

CROSSOVER POINTS = 360 HZ & 3500 HZ (2nd. order)
    Baffle Layout
    Website
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Those are really expensive drivers to be pairing with such a cheap tweeter.

Tweeter: $10 DOTD
    Mid: $64 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8263
    Woofer:$174 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=234

Have you seen Zaph's test of the TN28?:
    Bonus points for a neat looking top mount design. Minus points for energy storage at 8kHz. Tested in a typical configuration on top of an enclosure. High F5 at 1.6kHz will melt your ears if crossed over too low. Poor performer overall.
    Since it sound like you have the mid and woofer already, I would do find a tweeter worthy of the other parts and use a bigger premade box, like the 1cu ft or the floor standing boxes from Madisound.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• LING GOWA
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
      Those are really expensive drivers to be pairing with such a cheap tweeter.

Tweeter: $10 DOTD
      Mid: $64 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8263
      Woofer:$174 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=234

Have you seen Zaph's test of the TN28?:

Since it sound like you have the mid and woofer already, I would do find a tweeter worthy of the other parts and use a bigger premade box, like the 1cu ft or the floor standing boxes from Madisound.

Well, I agree these are nice quality drivers and I've been trying to get these running for a while now. Very frustrating having these drivers around doing nothing. I can't even find decent measurements or anyone who has even used them. I was so frustrated last month I even thought of selling them just to get them out of my sight but I got them at a great price and I just know that they would sound great.
      It would sure be nice to have someone do measurements like Zalph but for larger drivers. Oh well.
      I had thought of using the .75 cab just for the woofer and putting a .38 cab on top with the mid and tweeter in it but that would look odd. I have a number of tweeters on hand to choose from.
      LCY130
      MOREL MDT30-S
      MOREL DMS 30-S
      Website

Comment

• looneybomber
        • May 2007

Use a better tweeter and mount it to an open baffle. Place it on top of the enclosure and voila?

Comment

• b_force
          • Jun 2008

Beware of the Eton driver, it's x-max is very low so you can easily driver your driver above its limits.

My opinion is that are a bit better drivers for the money, but it depends if you have a measurement set.
          Otherwise look a bit further.

But if you have these driver just laying around it will be a decent combination.
          Again, I'am afraid of the xmax of the Eton woofer.

Comment

• LING GOWA
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by b_force
            Beware of the Eton driver, it's x-max is very low so you can easily driver your driver above its limits.

My opinion is that are a bit better drivers for the money, but it depends if you have a measurement set.
            Otherwise look a bit further.

But if you have these driver just laying around it will be a decent combination.
            Again, I'am afraid of the xmax of the Eton woofer.
            I usually find these types of comments from people who have not listened to Eton drivers. The 8-800 may be short on xmax but is big on SQ. I like Eton products but I agree, I wish they were a bit less expensive.
            Website

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"