X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hershey
    • Oct 2008

Dayton Quatro 15 HT Sub Build

I'm building a pair cabinets for the Dayton Quatro 15" 4 ohm sub (available at Parts Express) for a friend's home theater. My friend has another friend who recommended a 5.5 ft^3 enclosure with a single four inch port 7.5 inches long. That suggestion seemed a little out of whack to me, particularly the single four inch ID port with a 15, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Any suggestions? He'll be powering them with the 500 watt Bash amplifier also sold by Parts Express.

If you were building a pair of these for dedicated HT use what tuning alignment would you use, and why?

Thanks,

-Steve
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not unusual to use a 4" port for a driver like the Quatro.

7" seems a bit short given PE's own recommendation for a 12.75" length (F3 24Hz) for a 5.5cu ft box.

Any of these designs must be used with a hi-pass filter, otherwise the very low frequencies on DVDs that are below the box's Fb will destroy the driver.

Given the cost of a pair of 15" Quatros, a single $188 Exodus Audio 15" Tempest-X seems like a better investment.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hershey
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Not unusual to use a 4" port for a driver like the Quatro.

7" seems a bit short given PE's own recommendation for a 12.75" length (F3 24Hz) for a 5.5cu ft box.

Any of these designs must be used with a hi-pass filter, otherwise the very low frequencies on DVDs that are below the box's Fb will destroy the driver.

Given the cost of a pair of 15" Quatros, a single $188 Exodus Audio 15" Tempest-X seems like a better investment.
      He has one quatro currently being used in his theater and just wants to add a second and put them both in new enclosures or I would have recommended a different sub.

Is there a place for using a band pass enclosure with this sub? Would that help keep the driver from overextending in the lower registers?

I just ran a quick shot at it in winisd and the model generated by the program puts me at 3.25 ft^3 rear chamber, 2.175 ft^3 front chamber tuned to 36.6 Hz with a modeled f3 of approximately 22.5 Hz. The modeled port was 4 inch ID and approximately 8.5 inches long.

Could this work?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Could it work?

Yes but IMO it's not the best solution.

I think the BASH amps have a built-in hi-pass? If so that's the best bet.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"