X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LING GOWA
    • Dec 2007

Silver Flute 6-1/2" Wool Cone

Anyone know of a design for the Silver Flute 6-1/2" Wool Cone Shielded W17RC38-S (8 ohm).
    Mad has them on sale.
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

I'm hoping to load these in an existing box that measures 14.5'' X 9'' baffle with .5 cu. ft. volume.
    Website
  • jquin
    • Dec 2006

I don't know what your plans are.
    You may wish to have fun with doing a design and making the mistakes and learning, in which case fill your boots.

However if you want a budget DIY speaker system then you are going about this the wrong way.
    Look at the mission accomplished section.
    As far as budget is concerned the Modula MT's are a good start
    I have built some and recommend them as being excellent value for money.
    If you want to cut costs a bit the use inductors with cores and dare I say bi-polar electrolytic capacitors.
    You will avoid disappointment doing it this way. Choosing a driver on special and then building a system around it seems like a lot of hard work especially to get it to the level of the true and tried designs.
    But hey it's your nickel. Don't feel pressured, different people are looking for different things when doing DIY.

Hope this helps

Comment

• LING GOWA
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by jquin
      I don't know what your plans are.
      You may wish to have fun with doing a design and making the mistakes and learning, in which case fill your boots.

However if you want a budget DIY speaker system then you are going about this the wrong way.
      Look at the mission accomplished section.
      As far as budget is concerned the Modula MT's are a good start
      I have built some and recommend them as being excellent value for money.
      If you want to cut costs a bit the use inductors with cores and dare I say bi-polar electrolytic capacitors.
      You will avoid disappointment doing it this way. Choosing a driver on special and then building a system around it seems like a lot of hard work especially to get it to the level of the true and tried designs.
      But hey it's your nickel. Don't feel pressured, different people are looking for different things when doing DIY.

Hope this helps

Yes, I will be building the Modula MT as well very soon. It's just that I have a feeling that these Silver Flutes are under rated and I would like to try them out. Thanks for your input.
      Website

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Silver flutes are nice drivers for the money. I'd cross it at about the same point and with similar filters (though I doubt very much it'd be a drop-in) to the RS180. Distortion issues on the top end.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• LING GOWA
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by cjd
          Silver flutes are nice drivers for the money. I'd cross it at about the same point and with similar filters (though I doubt very much it'd be a drop-in) to the RS180. Distortion issues on the top end.

C
          I wouldn't use the crossover from another design. I'd go with a fresh one that is specific to the drivers. I'm trying to limit the tweeter to $20.00 if possible.
          I have no idea how accurate these measurements are. I got them from Solen's website.

Website

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LING GOWA
            I have no idea how accurate these measurements are. I got them from Solen's website.
            Wolf got some results with Silver Flute's graphs on that woofer. My own measurements with Silver Flute woofers, while doing the Orient Express, showed somewhat different results than Silver Flute's pretty, flat FR (ie: actual peaking w/ the cone breakup).

But I thought the W14RC25 was a fun little woofer nonetheless; and the build quality is just amazing... up there with the big boys. (Also, I was able to cross it above 2K with no ill effects) So it made me curious to try the 6.5" Silver Flutes. My hesitation came, however, when I was trying to do a box model. It seemed no matter how I fudged the box size and tuning, I couldn't get a lower F3 than if I had used the 5.5". Ironically, the same was basically true for the 8". Thus, I haven't gone out of my way to work with the 6.5" Silver Flute woofer. I'd rather spend my money on something I can get better bass extension or can get a higher XO point.

My $.02
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• LING GOWA
              • Dec 2007

Thanks for the input, Paul.
              Website

Comment

• HareBrained
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Undefinition
                Wolf got some results with Silver Flute's graphs on that woofer. My own measurements with Silver Flute woofers, while doing the Orient Express, showed somewhat different results than Silver Flute's pretty, flat FR (ie: actual peaking w/ the cone breakup).

But I thought the W14RC25 was a fun little woofer nonetheless; and the build quality is just amazing... up there with the big boys. (Also, I was able to cross it above 2K with no ill effects) So it made me curious to try the 6.5" Silver Flutes. My hesitation came, however, when I was trying to do a box model. It seemed no matter how I fudged the box size and tuning, I couldn't get a lower F3 than if I had used the 5.5". Ironically, the same was basically true for the 8". Thus, I haven't gone out of my way to work with the 6.5" Silver Flute woofer. I'd rather spend my money on something I can get better bass extension or can get a higher XO point.

My $.02
                I found the same thing in modeling the SF drivers. And very similarly, the MCM 55-3870 (being used in Zaph's forthcoming ZVM5) is another 5" driver that performs as well as it's bigger brother (cast frame 55-38xx) . I also notice that the MCM driver is very flexible regarding the enclosure size, offering good response in a small vented cabinet while rewarding those who can go large.
                John

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Yeah, the 6.5's are rough box-wise.

The WR14's I'd optimally cross 1800Hz 4th order, but you can push it higher with less ill effect than the RS150... but not less distortion and probably not less loss of clarity or accuracy.

They're not entirely suited to a budget system - crossover cost feels out of place rather quickly with them.

Nice drivers though.

C
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cotdt
                    • Oct 2005

The Silver Flute 6.5" is difficult to work with as it has a nasty breakup peak that occurs quite early, you'd have to cross low, which requires an expensive tweeter.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"