X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

Amp issues

Just trying to hook up my Avalanche 15 in a 4 cu ft box to my system via a Feedback Destroyer + Ep2500. The Ep2500 is bridged mono. My problem is that the output level is non existent.

I did the fan mod on the EP2500.

The signal input on the amp does not light up.

Subwoofer works. Connected it to another amp to verify.

Output of the subout on the receiver is good. Confirmed by testing another subwoofer.

Any ideas?

Or did I just get a bad amp?

Thanks.
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

The Avalanche has dual 2 ohm VCs. I followed this wiring diagram to get a 4 onm mono load:

Comment

• Cdub
      • Aug 2003

Hmm...backtracked a bit.

Double checked wiring of the subwoofer.

MAde sure the amp is configured for four ohm bridged mono load( switched 1,6,7 on)

Connected subwoofer with NO input connected to the EP2500.

Channel 2 turned all the way off.

Power on: clip light comes ON, with gain all the way down.

Tried wiring the sub with only one VC running/ wired for 4 ohm load with the amp in stereo mode. No input signal detected. No clip light.

Hmm, any ideas... Tried multiple cables so that is not the issue.

I don't think I could mess up the wiring unless the sub is not a 2 ohm DVC driver.

Did I get a dud?

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Just trying to hook up my Avalanche 15 in a 4 cu ft box to my system via a Feedback Destroyer + Ep2500.
        Have you tried pulling the FBD out of the signal path -- receiver straight to the amp?

Comment

• Cdub
          • Aug 2003

I forgot to mention that. Removing the FBD was the first thing I did when trying to track down the problem. All of the before mentioned trouble shooting is without the FBD in the signal path.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Have you tested the sub with another amp? If you don't have one handy, just hook the L or R speaker wire from the receiver to the sub to see if it makes some sound. If that works okay, it sounds like your amp is bad.

Comment

• David_D
              • Feb 2008

Hi Cdub,
              I hope that you amp is not a dud, considering the voided warrenty with the fan change.

I did do a little searching...
              There are others that have had faulty RCA to 1/4" adapters.
              The dipswitch labels on the EP2500 have been incorrect in the past.
              There have been others that have needed line level shifters to get into that amp's range.

I hope some of this helps.
              -David

As we try and consider
              We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• Cdub
                • Aug 2003

Arrrgh... thanks you guys. I think the amp is defective.

I tried hooking the sub up to a speaker output on the receiver and it works, just as it should.

I also tried multiple RCA to 1/4" adapters as well as a specific rca to 1/4" cable. No luck.

I tried different dipswitch combos without luck.

Oh well, the fan mod work flawlessly for those wondering... I had to reuse the connector supplied with the original fan and resoldered it. Easy to do and the new fan is silent...only if the amp worked...

I'll try to un mod the amp and return it to the distributor and hope for the best...

Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"