X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mornlith
    • Sep 2008

Neophyte 8" MTM Question

Hi all...

I am a neophyte - pretty familiar with HT but an absolute novice when it comes to DIY and especially with speaker building. Instead of doing gradschool work like I should be, I've picked up a couple of speaker building books and have been perusing a bunch of forums to come up with ideas for my first speaker build...tower mains to replace my HTIB (i know, i know, but I needed something to get by with while we saved up for a house).

I've seen a lot of interesting projects, but I've only seen 1 reference to an MTM setup using 8" woofers. The majority of MTM designs i've seen use 5 1/4 - 7" woofers. This may be a silly question for the gurus, but why is there a lack of 8" woofers in the MTM designs? Is the cost/benefit of the 8"-ers that much less than the 7" woofers? Are dual 8's overpowering in this configuration? Is it because of difficulties crossing over a tweeter at 2K Hz or below? Or is it something else/all of the above?

I'm not really considering building an MTM with that size woofers because my wife would probably drop kick me when I tried to put them in the living room, but my curiosity was tweaked and I was hoping someone might know the answer.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Warning this is 48 meg download...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mornlith
      • Sep 2008

Thanks Thomas...I've seen that before, but for some reason I missed the tower part at the bottom.

It looks like there are a bunch of guys who have made the M8a MTMs and like them...

If anyone has made the M8a MTM, what were your approximate build costs? On a cost-value scale of 1-5 (5 being the highest value achieved), what would you rank it as?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"