X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HTPC Newbie
    • Sep 2008

Keep or Junk them?

Hey,

I have a couple pair of speakers that have blown drivers in them and was wondering if you guys thought that they were worth keeping. If so I would prefer to put in other drivers but really don't know how to go about figuring which would be best. I have been searching for specs on the Wharfedale but am striking out. My next step is to email or call the company and see what I come up with.

Here are the two pair of speakers - ( I can get new drivers from the companies but they haven't (well the wharfedale) lasted too long as I guess I turn it up a little too high.... ops:

1) Wharfedale Modus Two - here is what they look like http://www.audiophilemania.com/forum...2&pictureid=12

2) Polk RT35s - Here is the link location to the manual of the rt35s http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/m..._55iManual.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I remember the wharfedales being a little to bright for me and the polks more my style. All drivers on the wharfedale are shot and the polk have 2 good woofers and one good tweeter out of 4 drivers.

THANKS!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If they're available you'll find buying replacement drivers from mfgrs will be quite expensive...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mudjock
      • Sep 2005

Based on what I have heard about that line of Polks (Dennis Murphy, et al.), they have decent cabinets, so are probably worth salvaging. If you want to retain the original appearance (more-or-less), you will need to remove the front cover that sits over the driver flanges to see what constraints you have there. Then, you will need to look for a 6.5" woofer that will be happy in that size box (If you can estimate the internal volume of the box and the port dimensions, Unibox can be used to model the response of any woofer you can find T/S parameters for).

I don't really know about the Warfedales - but with those funky top mount tweeters, it seems like they might not be worth the effort.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• HTPC Newbie
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
        If they're available you'll find buying replacement drivers from mfgrs will be quite expensive...

Yup been that route already before.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

If you search the internet and ask on various forums, you will find people that will tell you that they bought driver XYZ from PE and stuck it in and it sounded amazing. In my opinion, the only way this works is if the original speaker was cheap and had design compromises, which the new speaker will also, but likely different (more?) have and the person is not hearing the compromises in either design.

You have three options:

1. Replace the driver with a new driver from the manf. it will sound the same, be costly, and you'll need to control yourself and not blow them again.

2. Replace the driver with some misc. driver from PE. This could make them sound like garbage. It depends on a lot of things. Without the specs from the manf. for the existing, you're shooting in the dark. Even with them, it isn't straight forward.

3. Ditch the existing drivers and crossovers and try and find a DIY project that fits those boxes. Check here, zaphaudio, rjbaudio.com, PE, whatever. It probably won't be easy (No box design is going to be like the Wharfedale), and new drivers and crossovers could be just as much as the replacement drivers, but this would probably sound the best. You may have to make minor adjustments that change the sound a little. Again, who knows.

4. Sell them on ebay as is. morons will buy anything on ebay.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HTPC Newbie

Here are the two pair of speakers - ( I can get new drivers from the companies but they haven't (well the wharfedale) lasted too long as I guess I turn it up a little too high.... ops:

All drivers on the wharfedale are shot and the polk have 2 good woofers and one good tweeter out of 4 drivers.
            Your commensts suggest that neither set may adequate for the SPL's you require. Running the amplifier into clipping is a sure way to burn out tweeters, and perhaps a larger amplifer is in order. -But if you are also burning out woofers, I suspect you just need to buy or build a speaker design capable of handling those high SPL's.

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Mudjock
              • Sep 2005

Sound advice by -K- and Curt. My suggestion was based on the idea that you would find a beefier woofer and tweeter than Polk used and design a new crossover.

As someone who is on more on the crossover design and listening side of the hobby, as opposed to the woodworking and finishing side - I try to take advantage of any opportunity to get a solid, useable cabinet without having to make it myself
              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• 1Michael
                • Sep 2006

You also might want to consider having them reconed.
                Michael
                Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"