X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flamethrower1
    • May 2008

mini statement, center statement and monitor build

I started down this DIY thing wanting to replace my mains and things just started snowballing from that point on.
    I am now building the whole frickin suround system, some people would call it ambitious, I think crazy is more in line.
    I did not know how much time was going to be involved in this project, but I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Anyway, I started with the cross overs first and have all of them completed.
    Most of the MDF is cut to correct dimentions and I will be starting the assy gig next.
    I owe all the people that ventured down this road before I did a big thanks for all the information that you posted as it was REALLY helpfull.
    Also I would like to thank Curt, Jim and Sefferdog for providing all the tech info for making this project available (FOR FREE MIND YOU) to all who would be interested in doing such a project.
    Try to find other woodworking projects on the net that are FREE.
    So I am posting a few pics of what I have done so far.

Okay, so after an hour of trying to upload photos it says all my files are to large, I tried to compress them, changed my camera setting to the lowest mega pixle setting and took pictures of the same things 27 times and COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT.
    Any sugestions would be helpful

Thanks, Greg
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

My first suggestion would be to establish a photo-bucket account (it's free - just google it),
    then use it as your host.
    Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:24 Friday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• CupCak3
      • Oct 2007

I use google's picasa. Easy to manage photos and even has a nice program to resize, upload and "photoshop" your pics.

Good luck!

Comment

• flamethrower1
        • May 2008

my statements build

I tried the photo-bucket thing, what a pain, takes longer to download, uplink something than it does to glue something together.
        Why is it that some other posts have pics directly on the posts?
        I am sorry that if I am waisting other peoples time, I was just to the point in the build where I thought it would be fun to share with other people.
        I thought the most difficult thing in this build would be,... I dont know, making the crossovers, cutting accurately, or maybe watching where your fingers are on the tablesaw.
        I do not want to rip the sight, BUT, I think if people could upload the pics of the builds they are doing a little easier, it would be benificial to everyone.

Just a thought,
        Greg
        Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:24 Friday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Hi Greg,

To upload a file to HT Guide it has to be in JPG format, no larger than 800 pixels on the widest side and smaller than 100K. This can be accomplished with free software like Faststone Viewer or Irfanview. Simply do a resize to get the proper dimensions and then a save as with the compression setting adjusted to get the image under the 100K limit.

Ya, I know it's a bit of a pain but most of the boards require it.

Sorry we got you hooked but I think you'll be very happy with the results. :T Just one clarification. It's Wayne Wendel rather than Sufferdog that was involved with the actual speaker design. Wayne is the official "sharp eared" member the team. I might also add, Brian Walter is the generous contributer of the autocad cabinet drawings. Many thanks to both for their help developing the projects. Sufferdog has been one of the premier builder of the Statements and has helped us out with pictures etc. ;x( Bottom line, there have been lots of folks contributing to the Statements sucess. However, Curt is the Grand Puba of the team. The main man with the plan. Me? I just come up with wild ideas and build cabinets.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by flamethrower1
            Why is it that some other posts have pics directly on the posts?
            Because they've uploaded their pictures to an account like Photo-bucket and are using links to those uploaded pictures.

I do not want to rip the sight, BUT, I think if people could upload the pics of the builds they are doing a little easier, it would be benificial to everyone.
            ALL forums have limitations on the size of attachments. Most photo editing programs have the ability to compress pictures and they aren't that difficult to use.
            Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:25 Friday. Reason: Update text

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

It's also generally courteous to the forum to host them yourself and link them as it cuts down on their bandwidth
              -Chuck

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

I like to work within the forum's limits and post them in the thread rather than on photo-bucket or whatever. It seems like over time, people remove photos from their photo-bucket account or their account goes dead, then the photos in the thread go dead. If you upload them to HT guide, as long as the thread is good then the photos are good.

If you practice a little and start out with good photos, getting photos less than 800x600 and 100k to look good can be done.
                Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:26 Friday. Reason: Update text
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Biff
                  • Jul 2006

Try this ---

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ , works pretty well, even for non-comps like moi!

Comment

• flamethrower1
                    • May 2008

Here are a few pics

SO, FINALLY I FIGURED THIS OUT. and I thought woodworking was challenging.
                    The pictures posted here are actually from a couple of weeks ago, I will post more as I have actualy got all the cabinets ready to glue the baffles on, but at least I am FINALLY on board as a builder of the STATEMENTS.
                    Again, thanks to all who have contributed info.

Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0348-640x480-640x480.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	851344

Name:	100_0349-640x480.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	851345

Name:	100_0350-640x480.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	851346

Name:	100_0351.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	851347

Name:	100_0352-640x480.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	851348
                    Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:20 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• flamethrower1
                      • May 2008

more pics

here are a few more pictures, more to come.

Name:	100_0357.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	851349

Name:	100_0351.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	851350

Name:	100_0361.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	851351

Name:	100_0358.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	851352

Name:	100_0360.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	851353
                      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:21 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Everything looks great! Excellent craftsmanship. :T

I did notice that you are using a Precision Port rather than the PE make a port kit. The instructions to achieve the correct port length are a different than the PE port. Check it out before you cut.
                        We're looking forward to following your progress.

Jim

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

Hey Jim when I did my monitors my create-a-port kit came in that "Precision" box too
                          -Chuck

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454
                            Hey Jim when I did my monitors my create-a-port kit came in that "Precision" box too
                            Interesting! I didn't know that.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jim

Comment

• Gusta
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                              Everything looks great! Excellent craftsmanship. :T

I did notice that you are using a Precision Port rather than the PE make a port kit. The instructions to achieve the correct port length are a different than the PE port. Check it out before you cut.
                              We're looking forward to following your progress.

Jim
                              Jim,
                              Do you know the catalog # for the correct port (I believe I may have gotten the wrong one for the Statements, but couldn't find the "Make a port" kit)? Thanks.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gusta
                                Jim,
                                Do you know the catalog # for the correct port (I believe I may have gotten the wrong one for the Statements, but couldn't find the "Make a port" kit)? Thanks.
                                Here's what you need:

(2) 268-320 Outside flare
                                (2) 269-322 Inside flare
                                (1) 268-328 15 3/4" x 3" port tube

Cut the tube to the correct length and press the flares on. You're ready to go.

Jim

Comment

• Gusta
                                  • Sep 2008

Thanks, Jim.

I didn't see it before, but just noticed it on the site.

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                    • May 2008

port questions

I ordered all the ports from information found on the original build threads, and/or Curts sight, no second guessing the geniusses!
                                    Anyway from left to right, the first port is for the minis, one tube with four flares and is suppose to be enough material to be cut to make two ports.
                                    The second two are for the monitors, which consist of two complete ports that need to be cut to the correct lenght and glued together.
                                    And finally the third is for the center, which is a tuue with a flare moulded to it and another tube that slides over it and is adjusted to the correct lenth and glued.
                                    If for some reason I have parts other than what I should have, please let me know.

Name:	100_0368.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	851362
                                    Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cobblepots
                                      • May 2008

You're Statements look awesome! I'm still building my mini's, monitors, and center. Bad idea building them all at the same time while doing night school... They're almost ready for the forum to see though!

Just a tip I'd share. I know this may seem silly but make sure you put the flared ends inside the box before you glue the front on... Makes life a bit more easy ops:

I may have missed this but do you have any ideas on finishes? Looking good! :T

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                        • May 2008

a few more pics

Here are a few more pics updating how far I am, getting SO close!
                                        When I started this project I guess I didnt realize how labor intense this was going to be.
                                        My biggest hopes are that they sound WAY better then the speakers I bought from Canada (Flu@NCE), not to say they don't sound good, I have had people over that have BIG dollars in the systems they own and were impressed with the way they sound.
                                        Cobblepots, I am going to finish mine with blackwalnut veneer.
                                        The bases, as you can see in the pics, are kind of costom as I intend to do the 3/4" round over on the four corners as well as the tops of the bases.
                                        I am going to vent them the way Curt did in his original build (holes are not cut yet).
                                        I am planning on just clearing them after that, I have a freind that builds kitchen cabinets who has a spray booth.
                                        I will probobly do a laquer finish in semi gloss.
                                        Oh thanks for the heads up on the flares.

Name:	100_0369.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	851365

Name:	100_0370.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	851366

Name:	100_0371.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	851367

Name:	100_0372.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	851368
                                        Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                          • May 2008

a little more progress

I FINALLY got the baffles glued to the boxes, it seems like I have been building these things forever.
                                          Very pleased so far on the way they are looking, by that I mean I did not make any major mistakes.
                                          A little sanding and I hope to have the veneer on next weekend.
                                          I was kind of playing around with the placement of the crossovers and noticed that they take up quite a bit of room inside of the boxes.
                                          Do I have to be concerned with any internal refraction issues or inductor proximity to the speaker magnets?
                                          Hope to revive this post as it is getting LONELY WAY DOWN AT THE BOTTOM.
                                          Again, ANY info would be greatly appreciated

Name:	100_0374.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	851409

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

I FINALLY got the baffles glued to the boxes, it seems like I have been building these things forever.
                                            Very pleased so far on the way they are looking, by that I mean I did not make any major mistakes.
                                            A little sanding and I hope to have the veneer on next weekend.
                                            I was kind of playing around with the placement of the crossovers and noticed that they take up quite a bit of room inside of the boxes.
                                            Do I have to be concerned with any internal refraction issues or inductor proximity to the speaker magnets?
                                            Hope to revive this post as it is getting LONELY WAY DOWN AT THE BOTTOM.
                                            Again, ANY info would be greatly appreciated
                                            I try and move my crossovers to the back of the cabinets and position them with the inductors as far away from the drivers as possible. I then foam/insulate around the boards and line all the walls to eliminate as many reflections as possible.

I don't think you'll have any problems. The cabinets look great!

Jim

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                              • May 2008

Almost Done

I have finally got back to this project and have gone through the veneering process, tons of fun.
                                              I used the Heat Lock product and it it worked very well.
                                              The veneer is black walnut and I used danish oil for the finish.
                                              I went with this finish because I ended up doing it in my basement so I would'nt have to worry about a bunch of fumes and I doubt any commercial speaker would have this kind of finish as it is WAY labor intensive.
                                              I am hoping to have them fired up this weekend.
                                              After seven months, I cant wait.

Name:	100_0376.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	851689

Name:	100_0377.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	851690

Name:	100_0378.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	851691
                                              Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:23 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                • May 2008

better pics

The other pics were not very good, so here are some better ones.
                                                I am hoping to have them up and running this weekend.
                                                After seven months, I Am REALLY looking forward to sticking a knife in this project.
                                                Again thanks to all the people who helped along the way.

Gregl

Name:	100_0387.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	851698

Name:	100_0388.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	851699

Name:	100_0389.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	851700

Name:	100_0390.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	851701
                                                Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:23 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Hi Greg,

The cabinets look great! Excellent craftsmanship! :T

Jim

Comment

• David_D
                                                    • Feb 2008

OOHHH.... Purdy!
                                                    Love the walnut. Very rich looking
                                                    -David

As we try and consider
                                                    We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                      • May 2008

The End Of The Project

I have now a full room of Statements.
                                                      I got them up and running this past weekend and have had a few hours of listening time with both music and DVD'S.
                                                      Had some friends over to audition them and everyone could not believe the way these things sounded.
                                                      The soundstage is amazing and it seems like the music is not even coming from the speakers themselves.
                                                      My dog barks at things he hears from them.
                                                      One friend has a very expensive system and was jealous at the way these sounded for the amount of money I had in them.
                                                      Thanks again to all that helped me along the way, I am very glad I pursued this adventure.

Name:	100_0405.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	851808

Name:	100_0406.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	851809

Name:	100_0407.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	851810

Name:	100_0408.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	851811

Name:	100_0409.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	851812
                                                      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:24 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• kgveteran
                                                        • Oct 2005

You'll never go wrong in this forum. From the designs to the members, it's first rate. Everytime I have someone over to give a listen they can't believe the sound tracks. Some of the musical scores can be as demanding as the explosions and my three WTMW's never give out. Hats off then ever i can.

Kg
                                                        Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

Simply gorgeous looking speakers!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

I have now a full room of Statements.
                                                            I got them up and running this past weekend and have had a few hours of listening time with both music and DVD'S.
                                                            Had some friends over to audition them and everyone could not believe the way these things sounded.
                                                            The soundstage is amazing and it seems like the music is not even coming from the speakers themselves.
                                                            My dog barks at things he hears from them.
                                                            One friend has a very expensive system and was jealous at the way these sounded for the amount of money I had in them.
                                                            Thanks again to all that helped me along the way, I am very glad I pursued this adventure.
                                                            Beautiful! Excellent craftsmanship and I'm extremely pleased that you like them as well as I do. :T

Enjoy the music!

Jim

Comment

• blue934
                                                              • Mar 2008

criminy that's nice! but isn't it sacrilige to place nick nacks on works of art like that? nothing should be allowed within two feet of those beauties!
                                                              great job

blue934

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                • May 2008

final post

I have been enjoing my Statements for a couple of weeks now (its almost like I got some of my hearing loss back).
                                                                I am driving these with the following:
                                                                DVD-S2700 YAMAHA
                                                                RX-V1800 YAMAHA
                                                                XPA-5 EMOTIVA

The sound stage is spectacular, no matter what the format is, dvd audoio, two channel, movies....etc..
                                                                The sound is SO easy on the ears it just amazes me.
                                                                Without a doubt, the best sound system I have ever owned.
                                                                To the guys that worked so hard to come up with this, my hats off to you, you have come up with something trully amazing.
                                                                I have nothing but thanks and adoration for developing this speaker build and sharing it with us all.
                                                                Please do me a favor though, take a break , enjoy listening to what you have now as I am doing, and dont come up with something better (for a while) as I would be compelled to do this again.

Thanks, greg

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

I have been enjoing my Statements for a couple of weeks now (its almost like I got some of my hearing loss back).
                                                                  I am driving these with the following:
                                                                  DVD-S2700 YAMAHA
                                                                  RX-V1800 YAMAHA
                                                                  XPA-5 EMOTIVA

The sound stage is spectacular, no matter what the format is, dvd audoio, two channel, movies....etc..
                                                                  The sound is SO easy on the ears it just amazes me.
                                                                  Without a doubt, the best sound system I have ever owned.
                                                                  To the guys that worked so hard to come up with this, my hats off to you, you have come up with something trully amazing.
                                                                  I have nothing but thanks and adoration for developing this speaker build and sharing it with us all.
                                                                  Please do me a favor though, take a break , enjoy listening to what you have now as I am doing, and dont come up with something better (for a while) as I would be compelled to do this again.

Thanks, greg
                                                                  Hi Greg,

I think I can speak for both Curt and Wayne when I say, we truly appreciate your very kind comments. Its people like you enjoying our creations that makes the effort worthwhile.

There is a problem with the Statements though. They've taken my desire to create new designs away, I'm enjoying them so much.

Anyway, enjoy your system! Your speakers are beautiful. You should be very proud of your craftsmanship.

Jim

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2008

upgrading equipment??

I am currently driving my speakers with a Yamaha RX-V1800 and an Emotiva XPA-5 amp.
                                                                    I am on the the preorder list for the UMC-1 , but I want to upgrade my output for the two mains.
                                                                    What would you guys suggest, the XPA-2 or the RPA-2.
                                                                    Just thought I would ask the creators of these "babies" what " mothers milk " you would think they would enjoy.

Thanks, Greg

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

I am currently driving my speakers with a Yamaha RX-V1800 and an Emotiva XPA-5 amp.
                                                                      I am on the the preorder list for the UMC-1 , but I want to upgrade my output for the two mains.
                                                                      What would you guys suggest, the XPA-2 or the RPA-2.
                                                                      Just thought I would ask the creators of these "babies" what " mothers milk " you would think they would enjoy.

Thanks, Greg
                                                                      Hi Greg,

Here's my opinion, FWIW. I think you'll hear little difference between your XPA-5 and either the XPA-2 or RPA-2. I do think you'll notice a difference in the UMC-1 Vs. the Yamaha you're currently using. I also think you'll find the sound quality of the UNC-1 on movies to be really good. That's speculation of course since it's not been released yet.

I would not plan on using the UMC-1 as a DAC for music. It's optimized for home theater rather than music. I use a Pacific Valves Lite Audio DAC-62 that I picked up used as a DAC with a Squeezebox Duet as the transport. This is easily the best combination I've had in my system. The DAC-62 has a tube output stage that really compliments the Statements extremely well. Very, very analog sounding yet it still has tons of detail and dynamics. Bass is just killer!

So, what I'm saying is, I think you'll hear more improvements in upgrading your source equipment (not knowing what you have) rather than your amp. The XPA-5 is a fine amp with excellent sound quality.

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2008

equipment???

Yeah Jim, I guess I could have added the source equipment.
                                                                        I have a Yamaha DVD-S2700 that I use for music (some movies too.)
                                                                        And I just got a BDP-S550 Sony for Blueray stuff.
                                                                        I have to admit that I am kind of new to this high end stuff and found some info on the DAC you were referring to, but am lost in the Squeezebox Duet transport thingy.
                                                                        If you could elaborate a litttle more on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Greg

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3223

Yeah Jim, I guess I could have added the source equipment.
                                                                          I have a Yamaha DVD-S2700 that I use for music (some movies too.)
                                                                          And I just got a BDP-S550 Sony for Blueray stuff.
                                                                          I have to admit that I am kind of new to this high end stuff and found some info on the DAC you were referring to, but am lost in the Squeezebox Duet transport thingy.
                                                                          If you could elaborate a litttle more on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Greg
                                                                          Hi Greg,

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. The Sony S550 is a VERY nice player I think you'll enjoy it. Try playing CD's from it using it's built in DAC's and analog out and see if you're happy with the sound. If not, you can use it as a transport by connecting the digital coax output to a separate DAC.

I really like the DAC-62 (not available new anymore) but there are nearly endless choices in DAC's. The DACMAGIC is a new one that is reasonably priced and getting very good reviews. There are many Cambridge dealers so sourcing one isn't a problem.

The Duet is a Logitech/Slimdevices component that interfaces with your PC through your wired/wireless network and plays your CD's from your PC's hard drive. I have my complete CD collection ripped to my hard drive and can access them all from the Duet controller anywhere in the house. It's very slick but I'm a music nut so I like toys.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Face
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2007
                                                                            • 995

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                                            The DACMAGIC is a new one that is reasonably priced and getting very good reviews. There are many Cambridge dealers so sourcing one isn't a problem.
                                                                            They're on backorder from the manufacturer.
                                                                            SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2008
                                                                              • 392

#39
                                                                              equipment???

So you think the Sony s550 is better than the Yamaha.
                                                                              I need to talk to you more about equipment purchases in the future as the Yamaha was like twice as much.
                                                                              Where do you live, I will pick up some beer, we can listen to your system and maybe you can educate me on setting up a fine system.

Thanks, Greg

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 10933

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Face
                                                                                They're on backorder from the manufacturer.
                                                                                Audio Advisor has both colors in stock for $399

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Face
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 995

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                                                  Audio Advisor has both colors in stock for $399
                                                                                  I already committed to one from my local dealer, but thanks for the heads up.
                                                                                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 3223

#42
                                                                                    So you think the Sony s550 is better than the Yamaha.
                                                                                    I need to talk to you more about equipment purchases in the future as the Yamaha was like twice as much.
                                                                                    Where do you live, I will pick up some beer, we can listen to your system and maybe you can educate me on setting up a fine system.

Thanks, Greg
                                                                                    Hi Greg,

You are more than welcome to stop by for a listening session and a beer. However, I've only stated my opinions and others may or may not agree.

I'm in the center of middle America, just outside of Des Moines, Iowa. If you're in road trip distance, shot me a PM.

EDIT: Yes, I do think the Sony will be better than the Yamaha. There are very few receivers that aren't easily out done by a stand alone CD player. Compare them and see what you think.

That said, a dedicated DAC is another step up and usually a big one unless your CD player is a Cary or one of the other uber expensive players.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"