• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luke
    • Sep 2008

Midbass driver wanted

Hello

I need a little help.
    I'm looking for the best 8 inches woofer for mid-bass applications.
    Bandwidth will be between about 80 to 700Hz.
    Lowest harmonic and non-linear distortion should not be an option!
    Sensitivity around 87dB or more.
    Price for each driver...up to $150 is OK.
    Someone has an idea?

Luke
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

The Usher 8955A would be on the top of my list in that price range. Working with its FR might be difficult, but distortion should be excellent. $120

Comment

• NorthernGuy
      • Aug 2008

Hi,

RCF L8S800. I'm not sure about the prices in the U.S. This is an excellent Mid-Bass driver.

PHL E20-2460. Might be a little bit over Budget. Nothing to say more about PHL...

18Sound 8MB400. Didn't hear that driver, but read some recommendations in other forums.

My personal favourite is the RCF, but all 3 should do the job very well.

Best Regards

Comment

• Luke
        • Sep 2008

Hey Guys

Thanks for infos! Help appreciated.
        Of course these will have to be considered, depending on the price, naturally.
        Also. I made a search in this forum and found this:

OK, it's a goofy title, but perhaps meant to indicate the tentative nature of any conclusions one might draw- Got back to doing some driver testing this weekend. Eric Eva brought to my attention some test data published in Germany for a number of roughly 7" midbass drivers, including the Peerless 850439 and the 850467;

This is a thread from JonMarsh. Please check posts #44 & #45.
        And two interesting 8" candidates are the SEAS and for the price, the Peerless 830883.
        What do you think about these as low distortion units?
        Considering the limited 80-700Hz bandwidth usage.

Luke
        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 14:06 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• chrismercurio
          • May 2007

Audio Technology CQuenze

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Even on sale they are out of budget...but perhaps worth the stretch.

There are also:

Peerless Exclusive 8"
          Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

and I have a pair of Visaton AL200's sitting around doing nothing. I would sell those for much less than $150 each.

Chris

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Spoke with Jon recently about this and he prefers the 8" Peerless HDS Nomex 830869 over the Exclusive

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Luke
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
              Spoke with Jon recently about this and he prefers the 8" Peerless HDS Nomex 830869 over the Exclusive
              Thanks Thomas

Very interesting.
              You mean that Jon prefers this one over the 830884?
              According to him, for which reasons?
              As I'm looking at drivers specs on Impedance curve, I can note that this driver does not have a copper ring in its gap that the 830884 has.
              And please tell me if I'm wrong but distortion figures could suffer slightly from absence of this ring for the 830869.
              At the end , how would be this influence on this specific bandwidth of 80-700Hz?
              By the way is there any specific group of performance curves available that he would have done with this unit?

Luke

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                Speaking of Jon, has his boss considered giving him any more freetime in the future? He needs to spend more time on important stuff again me thinks... :B

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Yes, let's get that boy unchained from his desk! Maybe a wild west jail break?

Comment

• augerpro
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Luke
                    Thanks Thomas

Very interesting.
                    You mean that Jon prefers this one over the 830884?
                    According to him, for which reasons?
                    As I'm looking at drivers specs on Impedance curve, I can note that this driver does not have a copper ring in its gap that the 830884 has.
                    And please tell me if I'm wrong but distortion figures could suffer slightly from absence of this ring for the 830869.
                    At the end , how would be this influence on this specific bandwidth of 80-700Hz?
                    By the way is there any specific group of performance curves available that he would have done with this unit?

Luke
                    I've done some comparison on these since I needed a good 8" for a project of mine. I'd used the 5.25" Nomex before and was happy with it so I was looking at these too. If you look Peerless' specs the 8" Nomex shows quite the null around 800-1000hz. The 8" Exclusive does not. What concerned me was Jon's measurement that showed a pretty good dip in this area on the 8" Exclusive. I think this was an early sample of this driver and they have had some small changes over the years. I figured that Peerless's info was optimistic if anything, so that response pretty much ruled the 8" Nomex out and I bought an 8" Exclusive to see if it displayed a problem in this area that wasn't shown on Peerless's spec sheet. Here are the results: NOT AVAILABLE Later I seen Zaph had also measured this driver: http://zaphaudio.com/tidbits/ As you can see the 8" Exclusive doesn't show much trouble, compared to Jon's early measurement. OTOH the 8" Nomex probably does have some response problem as the Peerless spec sheet shows.

Outside of that issue you can see by comparing the smaller versions of these on Zaph's site that HD is considerably lower on the Exclusive series over the Nomex. My own informal testing of inductance at xmax shows the Exclusive to be quite superior to the Nomex also. None of this should be a surprise given the better motor.

So anyway the current Exclusive is an excellent driver, while the Nomex is good, but probably not worth the small cost savings because of the lower performance.
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 14:09 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

Where does the RS225 fit in all this?

Comment

• Luke
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by augerpro

I've done some comparison on these since I needed a good 8" for a project of mine. I'd used the 5.25" Nomex before and was happy with it so I was looking at these too. If you look Peerless' specs the 8" Nomex shows quite the null around 800-1000hz. The 8" Exclusive does not. What concerned me was Jon's measurement that showed a pretty good dip in this area on the 8" Exclusive. I think this was an early sample of this driver and they have had some small changes over the years. I figured that Peerless's info was optimistic if anything, so that response pretty much ruled the 8" Nomex out and I bought an 8" Exclusive to see if it displayed a problem in this area that wasn't shown on Peerless's spec sheet. Here are the results: NOT AVAILABLE Later I seen Zaph had also measured this driver: http://zaphaudio.com/tidbits/ As you can see the 8" Exclusive doesn't show much trouble, compared to Jon's early measurement. OTOH the 8" Nomex probably does have some response problem as the Peerless spec sheet shows.

Outside of that issue you can see by comparing the smaller versions of these on Zaph's site that HD is considerably lower on the Exclusive series over the Nomex. My own informal testing of inductance at xmax shows the Exclusive to be quite superior to the Nomex also. None of this should be a surprise given the better motor.

So anyway the current Exclusive is an excellent driver, while the Nomex is good, but probably not worth the small cost savings because of the lower performance.
                        ​

@Augerpro

Great infos!
                        Also this Zaph Audio site is quite interesting also.
                        Thanks.

PS. Hey guys don't forget the limited band usage of around 80-700Hz!!!

Luke
                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 14:09 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Luke
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                          I will to check this one also.
                          Thanks Mark

Luke

Comment

• Sakura
                            • Jul 2008

I read that the Peerless Nomex 830869 DOES have shorting rings, says so here on Madisound site also: http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=13

I also prefer the HDS Nomex over the Exclusives in most sizes because of the smoother top end rolloff - but - I haven't heard the 8" in either series.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

All Peerless have had Faraday rings from the CSX to the HDS to the current Nomex and Exclusive (and maybe even PPB but I haven't checked). The cheaper units implement less expensive faraday shielding methods and materials.

Comment

• Luke
                                • Sep 2008

All Peerless have had Faraday rings from the CSX to the HDS to the current Nomex and Exclusive (and maybe even PPB but I haven't checked). The cheaper units implement less expensive faraday shielding methods and materials.
                                Sakura and Mark...thanks!

First, Peerless like lots of other manufs don't say much about their products. Sad!
                                Hard to figure out sometimes with them!
                                We have to search hard for third party tests and some who dares dismantling components to learn and save infos.
                                Anyway these guys are always welcomed and thanked.

But for the sake of discussion and your contribution is welcomed, naturally...
                                The discontinued CSX's and a lot of other new driver like the 830869 and 830884 have aluminium modulation rings in the magnet structure.
                                The 830884 like some others has also a copper Faraday ring in the gap to control inductance behavior and further influence for lower H2 and H3.
                                This copper ring can be "seen" in its slow rising of impedance.
                                It would be nice to have distortion specs on the 830869.
                                It would also be nice to hear Jon about this 830869 over 830884 supposed preference as reported by ThomasW.
                                Later...

Luke
                                Last edited by Luke; 24 September 2008, 16:55 Wednesday.

Comment

• Luke
                                  • Sep 2008

Mark

Assuming what I saw in Jon's report about the RS180 in the #4 link of this thread, the RS225S could be a good candidate.
                                  The specs look nice too.
                                  As nice as the price also...like the 830884.

Luke

Comment

• Jonasz
                                    • Nov 2004

I would go with the Seas W22. The part about Le in Zaphs tidbits section convinced me that I already use the "right" driver for my application wich is similar to yours. It's halfway down the page: http://zaphaudio.com/tidbits/

The difficult question is "How do these different Le(X) performances affect the sound?" Tough question, but I'm very familiar with these three drivers, so I can toss out a couple subjective comments. Gulp. Here goes... It's all in the dynamics. The better Seas drivers are less likely to fall apart at high volumes. The RS180 is best crossed over steep and low "Jon Marsh Style" but it's not really going to be too bad crossed over anywhere under 2kHz.

Comment

• augerpro
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2006

I think the Seas W22 may be a bit out of the OP's budget. If it's not than I agree it would be an excellent choice running from 80-700hz if the OP can swing it.

In fact it was the informal Le(x) test (which I heard about from Zaph) that really made my favor the 830884 over the RS225 for my Delphi project. Here is the impedance of the 830884 at +/- 5 or 6mm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	830884.webp Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	944654

Here is the RS225 at roughly the same excursion:

Click image for larger version  Name:	rs225-8.webp Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	944655

The RS series is really quite good, but the Exclusive is just on another level. This would be much more important if the OP were running a higher passband as the impedance changes at xmax would begin to modulate the frequency response-probably quite noticeably-with the more uneven RS motor.

Another 8" woofer with very low Le and extremely good Le(x) behavior is the B&C 8NDL51
                                      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 14:10 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                      ~Brandon 8O
                                      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                      DriverVault
                                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Luke
                                        • Sep 2008

Thanks for help.
                                        There's alot of nice drivers here.
                                        But some are a bit too expensive.
                                        Others are too powerful for nothing.
                                        I find the 810884 to have a potentially nice combination of price and performance.
                                        And it doesn't even look like a compromise as is!
                                        Thanks very much everybody for these suggestions.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"