X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djg
    • May 2008

New Zaph speaker, ZBM5?

On his blog. I made up the name, look at it and you'll see why.
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

Yup, working on it. I was thinking of just ZB5 for "Zaph Bargain 5" since it's not really "mini" like the ZBM4.

So far the only real fault I hear is not the best low end power handling. It needs a sub and active crossover for loud levels. Not too shocking for a 5" 2-way I suppose. The other fault is that it requires parts from multiple vendors but the price is still low. It fits in the PE .375 box too, so make that 3 vendors if you want prefab boxes. :E
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• djg
      • May 2008

I shouldn't have presumed to name someone's project. I am making two ZBM4s and a BAMTM to go with two Schumakubin mains. The ZBM4s are sealed with the reduced BSC as I will have to stick them against the walls.

Comment

• JasonB
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jkrutke
        Yup, working on it. I was thinking of just ZB5 for "Zaph Bargain 5" since it's not really "mini" like the ZBM4.

So far the only real fault I hear is not the best low end power handling. It needs a sub and active crossover for loud levels. Not too shocking for a 5" 2-way I suppose. The other fault is that it requires parts from multiple vendors but the price is still low. It fits in the PE .375 box too, so make that 3 vendors if you want prefab boxes. :E
        John,

Have you given any thought to making this in to a 3 way with a seprate bass enclosure using something like a Dayton RS225? Might be nice if the extra crossover parts don't kill the budget.

Jason

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

I picked up th drivers shortly after you posted about them in your blog. I am eager to see if it can beat a silver flute and H1212 design i have been listening too. I do not use a sub, do you think i will be disappointed with the bottom end?

Comment

• benchtester
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by JasonB
            John,

Have you given any thought to making this in to a 3 way with a seprate bass enclosure using something like a Dayton RS225? Might be nice if the extra crossover parts don't kill the budget.

Jason
            I am starting to cut wood for "speaker stands" that include a forward firing Dayton SD215-88 DVC "sub" woofer. The data sheets indicate that it should have low bass for a small enclosure and is pretty affordable as well. While modest, it might be a good match for the ZB5, especially for suited for apartment dwellers.

I will post results, eventually; probably after Burning Amp (Oct. 19).

Zaph - having a ZD5 and a ZB5 model will be a little confusing for dyslexics like myself. (I can deal, but... :E )

Comment

• dmalphur
              • Jun 2007

I really like this design, it just seems to "fit". Low cost, good looks, (expected) good performance. Can't wait to hear it!

I picked up a pair of both the shielded and unshielded versions of the woofer when MCM was offering 20% off and free shipping a couple weeks ago. The shielded woofer looks like it will work in a smaller box than the unshielded woofer, but I've yet to measure the FR and impedance curves to see if they will be drop in compatible.

Like benchtester, I plan on building a pair of speaker stands / subwoofers using a sealed 10" in each side with active crossovers.

-David

Comment

• jkrutke
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by JasonB
                Hmmm, not really. The low budget builder's cheapest way to wide range sound is generally going to be a pair of small 2-ways plus a sub. This design caters to that person, and going 3-way would pretty much blow the budget, particularly with crossover parts and more cabinet materials. The crossover cost for this 2-way is already a lot higher than I wanted, and I think I'm going to miss my $100/pair target by $20. What's sad is that it's a simple low parts count crossover, and it's still about $60 worth of parts per pair.

Originally posted by Rolex
                I picked up th drivers shortly after you posted about them in your blog. I am eager to see if it can beat a silver flute and H1212 design i have been listening too. I do not use a sub, do you think i will be disappointed with the bottom end?
                Satisfaction of the bass from this 2-way would depend on the level you listen at. It's actually fine for me, but I'm about as far from being a "bass head" as anyone could be. My average listening level is probably 85dB or lower. Most people would be happy with the bass clarity and depth, but not happy with the output if run full range. They definitely need a sub for HT usage.

I don't know anything about your Silver flute/H1212 design, but if I had that combo, I would cross about 1450 at LR4. That would avoid some non-linear distortion and minimize the little response cliff the W14 SF has. It would be tough to beat that. But, those tweeters are now almost $90 for a pair. Some Seas drivers are nice but there's pretty much no such thing as Seas and Budget in the same design anymore.

Originally posted by benchtester
                Zaph - having a ZD5 and a ZB5 model will be a little confusing for dyslexics like myself. (I can deal, but... :E )
                Yeah, I hear you and I was thinking the same thing. I'm not about to use up any of my limited creativity on an actual name, :B but I've got no problem with these 3 or 4 letter model numbers. I'm thinking of the "ZMV5". Zaph... MCM... Vifa... 5. Whew, I'm spent.
                Zaph|Audio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"