X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

How does this subwoofer plan sound?

I’m going to build a sub for my office. I’ve read lots of threads on subs so I think I know what I want to do. But I’ll make this post to check and see if anyone thinks I should do anything differently.

The system:
    It’s a sub for my office, so music only. The room is about 725 cubic feet in volume. The sub will be played with some smallish MT speakers I’ll be designing soon. The speakers will have a 5.5” woofer and should just barely be able to play down to about 80 Hz. I’ll make the sub look like a nice end table, with cherry accents and legs holding it up. The sub will provide me with a little extra desk space and fit between my 2 desks that are perpendicular to each other. No significant budget constraints for the sub. I’m after good performance.

Cabinet:
    I’ve got about 4 cubic feet to play with, minus the volume of the driver and amp. The driver will be mounted facing down. As far as I understand, I should just make a sealed, well-braced box. Line the insides with some R-19 fiberglass. And that’s about it. Oh, one question: Should the driver be flush mounted or does it not really matter for a sub?

Driver:
    I can just manage to fit a 15” driver in the footprint space that I have. So 15” and 12” drivers are options. I gather that the 15” Tempest-X is the favorite 15” sub driver at the moment:

Or the Shiva if I were to go 12”. Is the Tempest-X pretty much the best one to use these days? .

Amp:
    My only constraint here is that I do not want a fan in the amp. Upon Chuck’s [chasw98] recommendation, the Oaudio 500 W plate amp looks pretty good:

Is that Oaudio amp pretty much the best way to go?

[An added benefit of the Oaudio amp is that it has a crossover. So I could go digital out from my computer to, say, a Benchmark DAC, then to the Ouadio amp with crossover. Then the sub signal goes to the sub. And the speaker signal, without <80 Hz info, goes to the regular (not sub) amp and speakers. Alternatively I could just get a prepro with a sub crossover.]

That’s it. A pretty simple project. Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Flush mounting isn't needed given the passband of a sub.

Yes the Tempest is the best 'bang-for-the- buck' for a higher excursion driver. But you really only need a smallish driver for that room so the Shiva sale $135 pricing is an attractive alternative that saves $53 and allows a smaller enclosure.

Driver considerations, thinking out loud here..... I always keep a 12" sub around and it's used in a bedroom or similar. Since you have the big ported system for HT I'm not sure if you really need or want a 15" for the office

And yes for an all-in-one package the O-Audio amp is a good choice.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Thanks Thomas. :T

Yeah, it’s a small office and I’ll never be watching movies in here. Other than box size, is there any disadvantage to the 15” Tempest over the 12” Shiva? In addition to the sound, the sub provides an excuse to build a little table and gain some extra desk space in the office. So a 3-4 cubic foot volume may actually be ideal.

I didn’t think there was any audio reason for flush mounting, given the long wavelengths, but I’ve seen people do it and was wondering if it was something beyond aesthetics. The Oaudio does look like a nice, fan-less package.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you're ok with a larger box and the extra $$$ for the Tempest sure go for it... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Yeah, it’s one of those cases where larger might actually fit the room better. I have 2 desks that I work at, perpendicular to each other. They touch, but not completely, so not forming a perfect L. If I build a table/sub to about 22” x 22” footprint x 30” tall to fill in that area, it will provide me with a little extra desk space and also be a sub. After taxing my woodworking skills by building speaker cabinets with slants and facets, this should be relatively easy.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

It's my pleasure to help other people spend their money.... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonW
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Wow. What a supportive community we have here. You know, supportive like a crack house. :P :W :B

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"