X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

First DIY speaker, need some help

I am about to start my first speaker building project and need some help with the cabinent. The plans I am following are on the partsexpress website:

From the website the process to build the cabinets is described as this:

Each speaker enclosure was constructed from the following parts:
    (2) Side panels: 11-1/2" x 6" x 3/4"
    (1) Top panel: 9" x 6" x 3/4"
    (1) Bottom panel: 9" x 6" x 3/4"
    (1) Front panel: 11-1/2" x 9" x 3/4"
    (1) Back panel: 11-1/2" x 9" x 3/4"
    ( 8 ) Horizontal internal braces: 6" x 3/4" x 3/4"
    (4) Vertical internal braces: 8" x 3/4" x 3/4"

The side panels were mitered to 45 degrees on both 6" sides (maintaining the exterior dimension of 11-1/2"). The top and bottom panels were mitered to 45 degrees on both 6" sides (maintaining the exterior dimension of 9"). This permitted the side panels to meet with the top and bottom panels, making a 90 degree corner. All four edges of the exterior facing sides of the front and back panels were routed with a half-over router bit. All parts were biscuit joined, glued, and screwed together to ensure a solid enclosure. Holes were pre-drilled for all wood screws. All internal seams were filled with clear silicon caulk to keep the box airtight, and the enclosures were lightly filled with Acousta-Stuf.

What I need help with is where would the internal braces go and how would they be oriented. Any thoughts on how to lay them out would be greatly appreciated.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I recommend building this design instead. I realize they don't have the pretty cones but these sound very good...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• peter_m
      • Sep 2007

Ouch, the HI-VI TN28 tweeter combined with an off the shelf x-over... Don't walk, run away. Zaph also has a new budget design very close to being published on his own site.

Peter
      Last edited by peter_m; 20 September 2008, 13:58 Saturday.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Thanks for the recommendation, I will consider it if I decide to try another set.

How about my original question, where should I put the crosbraces?

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Pez
          I am about to start my first speaker building project and need some help with the cabinent.
          What I need help with is where would the internal braces go and how would they be oriented. Any thoughts on how to lay them out would be greatly appreciated.
          This is a great group as long as you understand that they're a little nuts - in a good way - when it comes to speakers. You got a consistent response because there's a fairly good consensus among the very active and moderators regarding how well certain combinations work out. This is good advice, if not what you asked.

In the spirit of "building is better than talking," the cross bracing is designed to prevent enclosure flex in response to speaker excursions. Cross braces therefore connect the centers of opposite sides. You can see an alternate method used in the design Thomas linked - an internal wall with two BIG holes. The idea is the same, regardless; mechanically tie together surfaces that could resonate if left free.

What I don't understand are the numbers - 8 horizontal and 4 vertical - unless they also serve as corner reinforcement, and the sizes. This sounds like you're linking front and back, and side to side, but the removable part (front or rear baffle) is usually not included, since glue would render it permanent. I'd want the 8-inchers to be more like 10".

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

A found a link to where the designer took some photos of the building process.

This will help a great deal.

BTW, I definately appreciate the advice as I will need it since this is first attempt at a set of speakers. My priority is more on the woodworking side of things and this project was a perfect fit for my first time when I came across it. Thats why for this project I just want to a follow a set of plans and see what I end up with.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"