X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tizeye
    • Oct 2006

Dayton vs Dayton caps, Zaph's SA71 build

I am preparing to build Zaph’s SR71 but not overly enthrawled by Madisound’s kit for reasons noted below. But the reason for this post is more a Dayton vs Dayton capacitor question. Figured this board would be more objective than the supplier’s boards, as despite PE’s sponsorship you use all suppliers. There is the standard Dayton metallized polypropylene capacitor (DMPC) and the Dayton metallized 1% polypropylene capacitor (PMPC). There is little cost difference between them with the largest cap. 12uf, $5.99 vs $11.99. This is well below the intermediate priced Clarity SA and Sonicaps, and obviously well below the ultrapremiums. I did a search of this and other boards, and almost without fail, crossover designs used the cheaper DMPC over the PMPC. With the price being so close, is there a reason people seem to prefer the DMPC? Are there problems with the PMPC?

There were several things that influenced me skipping the Madisound kit and forgoing the 10% discount. First, 5/8 foam with no dampening – substitute PE’s Sonic Barrier as too small a project for Wispermat. Next, pre-made crossover just doesn’t seem like DIY, plus there are some obvious compromises. On one hand they put a Clarity SA on the tweeter circuit, but instead of the remainder Bennics as Zaph suggests, they drop the other large cap down to the Carli Mylar Polyester rather than the Bennic/Dayton polypropylenes.

The other area that is motivating me away from the kit are the few reviews. All are positive, but somewhat reserved. When comparing to other speakers they anticipated out performing, there was a feeling while performing great it didn’t take to the next level. Perhaps it was preconceived notion setting the bar high only to be let down. Or perhaps it was the compromise in the components. Or both.

Doing it myself creates opportunity without dramatically increasing the cost. Substitute the Eagle resistors for Mills seems like a no-brainer. Inductors, instead of the 15agw 3.3mh steel laminate sledgehammer and Madisound’s 19agw 0.15mh air core, for $4 more substitute Erse Perfect Lay Air Core 14agw and 18agw. Granted the DCR increases from .185 to .488, that is well within Zaph’s cautioned upper limit of .7 if building them yourself with other components. That brings me to the caps. 1) Straight Bennic as Zaph suggest, 2) straight Dayton – if so which one and the primary reason for this post, or 3) Clarity or Sonicap combo with either Bennic or Dayton.

Your feedback would be appreciated
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Problem with other people's reviews is there's usually little or no info regarding the playback electronics or the listening room. These variables make huge differences in the sonics of any speaker.

Regarding your upgrades, I say go for it not provided it's not a budget breaker.

The PMPC are very nice, we've used them in a couple projects and they sound very good.

For some people a couple bucks difference in a cap is a deal breaker since they're working on a tight budget.

Can't comment on the Bennics since I won't use electrolytic caps in my crossovers....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I heard Bennic is the OEM for the Dayton poly caps so I doubt there's much if any difference between the Bennic polys and the Daytons except the largest Bennic Madisound sells is 16uF.

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

Dayton's regular caps are so tight of tolerance that no one needs to buy the 1%. Lately I've been using Jantzen Crosscap or Z-Standard caps. On my Delphis I have mix of Jantzen and Claritycap. Pretty happy with those. For resistors consider the Lynk ones from meniscus. They are MOX like Mills but priced similar to Dayton or Eagle. I plan to get some soon to see how good the tolerances are.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• tktran
          • Jan 2005

Hello,

Feel free to change, mix or match components to your liking. As long as the components are all within (+/-%5) spec, at the end of the day the differences in passive components will yield you a net gain of 0-10% in perceived performance improvement.

IMHO changing spec will yield even more significant differences than different brands/types of parts. Increasing the DCR of the series woofer inductor by 0.303ohm will reduce the woofers's output by a fraction of a dB. This may or may not be significant in your room/to your ears.

I may be projecting here, but it sounds like you're a little hesitant to get started, and all the various options are slowing you down. To which I say-

Build it you'll like it.

Comment

• djg
            • May 2008

If you build it as Zaph suggests, then you will have speakers just as he intended. I read Zaph's writeup on his site. He stopped short of saying the Clarity cap is a waste of money, but if you have read much on his site, you know his opinions.

The crossover looks very easy to build, I would build my own following Zaph's suggestions, and save a bit of money.

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tizeye
              I am preparing to build Zaph’s SR71 but not overly enthrawled by Madisound’s kit for reasons noted below.

There was a bit of bargaining between myself and Madisound for the SR71 design, and even more for the ZRT design, about what caps to use in the kit. If Madisound had their way, they would be using expensive high end caps everywhere. If I had my way, I'd be using Bennic poly caps for everything in the SR71, and the ZRT would have had a few electrolytics in the design for the larger values. Both myself and Madisound know what's marketable, and electrolytics hooked up to Scan Speak drivers isn't going to fly.

So, it's all about marketing. There are bigger concerns here. Anyone fretting over which capacitors to use, in my opinion, does not have their priorities straight. The other concern is "analysis paralysis". It leads excessive expectations, which leads to nothing but disappointment.

Right now if there was anything I could do to talk you out of building the SR71, I'd do it. But if you must build it, all I can do is talk you into looking at more important things, like your room. I've seen people use uber-expensive crossover components then put the speaker on a bookshelf or in a corner...
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

I assume capacitors are produced with a 'normal' distribution. Does anyone know if the specified tolerance is akin to 3 sigma or something similar? Or is the 3 sigma value very very tight, but the middle of the normal distribution varies over the tolerance range from batch to batch? I'm thinking it's the latter.

Polypropylene vs. Polyester (mylar) is something that is quite debatable if you are designing active electronics and want very low distortion. Polypropylene performs excellently, while polyester can perform 'good enough'. It is likely that you would be unable to determine the difference between the two in a double blind test.

Thus the primary difference in a loudspeaker application would be tolerance. I would save high tolerance parts for critically accurate circuits, like placing a notch filter right on top of metal cone resonance.

I find it odd that such importance is placed on capacitors. The real, terribly behaving components are inductors. They deviate from ideal behavior far more drastically than any cheap mylar capacitor.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jkrutke
                  I've seen people use uber-expensive crossover components then put the speaker on a bookshelf or in a corner...
                  Very true... That and rooms having absolutely no acoustic treatments.

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                  I assume capacitors are produced with a 'normal' distribution. Does anyone know if the specified tolerance is akin to 3 sigma or something similar? Or is the 3 sigma value very very tight, but the middle of the normal distribution varies over the tolerance range from batch to batch? I'm thinking it's the latter.
                  For large scale production (10K+ piece runs) the values are almost always on the low side of the tolerance since this saves the mfgr money. I haven't measured enough 'boutique' caps have a consensus.
                  I find it odd that such importance is placed on capacitors. The real, terribly behaving components are inductors. They deviate from ideal behavior far more drastically than any cheap mylar capacitor.
                  Yeap the tendency to use ferrite core or small gauge wire inductors to save money is problematic

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kevinp.
                    • Apr 2008

Right now if there was anything I could do to talk you out of building the SR71, I'd do it.
                    i don't suppose you could elaborate on that, could you? Was that directed solely at the OP, or are there other designs you believe hold more value/performance?

by the way, that new B&C 8PS21 looks sweeeet.... man those are some nice distortion numbers. Who would've thought? Why don't we see more high-effeciency drivers in DIY designs I wonder. Cost?

Comment

• dmalphur
                      • Jun 2007

If I may, the problem isn't with the speakers, it's with potential builders that agonize over every decision (myself not immune from such tendencies). Like John said above, agonizing over every detail only leads to excessive expectations and eventually dissappointment with a project, no matter how good it might be in reality.

An anecdote if you will allow it. I am slowly finishing a remodel of my master bathroom, including some very elegant marble trimmed in white porcelain around the whirlpool. Everyone who has seen it thinks it looks outstanding, and my wife is very happy with the work, but I am miserable. I have analyzed every detail of the job and all I can see are the parts which could be slightly better or could have been done differently (this was my first tile job).

The same thing happens to speaker builders. When you over analyze a project all you see are the faults in the project. Those types of builders are typically the least rewarding for a designer, because they are constantly questioning the project. In the worst cases these builders end up not even finishing due to the aforementioned "paralysis analysis".

Regards,
                      David

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

excessive expectations and eventually dissappointment
                        Expectile dysfunction? 8)

Comment

• jkrutke
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by kevinp.
                          i don't suppose you could elaborate on that, could you? Was that directed solely at the OP, or are there other designs you believe hold more value/performance?

by the way, that new B&C 8PS21 looks sweeeet.... man those are some nice distortion numbers. Who would've thought? Why don't we see more high-effeciency drivers in DIY designs I wonder. Cost?
                          Just directed at the OP. The SR71 holds a unique value to performance ratio that may be suitable for some builders. David has it right, it's more along the lines that I don't want people building my designs who are setting themselves up to be unhappy with them. I may be the only DIY community designer that frequently tries to talk people out of building my designs. I once considered having an interview process to decide who gets to build them. I'd be worse than the soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Agonizing over caps? No speakers for you. Mounting on a bookshelf? No speakers for you. :B Note that Madisound owns the SR71 design though, so it's out of my hands.

Yup, the B&C stuff is interesting. For those who think they really need high sensitivity, (I'm not in that group) pro drivers seem to be the way to do it. For woofers and mids at least, I'm not sold on pro horns yet. I'll have some commentary on these later.
                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Amphiprion
                            Expectile dysfunction? 8)
                            Heheh, that sums it up well. :B
                            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• kevinp.
                              • Apr 2008

Just directed at the OP. The SR71 holds a unique value to performance ratio that may be suitable for some builders. David has it right, it's more along the lines that I don't want people building my designs who are setting themselves up to be unhappy with them. I may be the only DIY community designer that frequently tries to talk people out of building my designs. I once considered having an interview process to decide who gets to build them. I'd be worse than the soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Agonizing over caps? No speakers for you. Mounting on a bookshelf? No speakers for you. :B Note that Madisound owns the SR71 design though, so it's out of my hands.

Yup, the B&C stuff is interesting. For those who think they really need high sensitivity, (I'm not in that group) pro drivers seem to be the way to do it. For woofers and mids at least, I'm not sold on pro horns yet. I'll have some commentary on these later.
                              thanks for the reply - I have 2 more questions and thats it, I promise!
                              First, and I don't know if you'll answer this at this time or wait for your driver comments regarding the B&C... is there a downside to a pro driver like this in a high sensitivity design? (other than trying to find a decent tweeter to match it?)
                              and second, if there was a dome tweeter with a 96db sensitivity, is that high enough to be used with that driver? There is such a tweeter, I'm just not at liberty to discuss who is selling it...

I'm sure you get tired of inane questions from people new to this hobby, and I don't blame you. We all appreciate your efforts and the patience that you do show. That can actually apply to numerous contributors on this board come to think of it.

Comment

• tizeye
                                • Oct 2006

As OP, thanks for the replies. Not ignoring. Typed a reply - hit a wrong key apparently sending but it is lost in cyberspace. Grrrrrrr! Will wait to see if it actually posts, then edit to finish. Otherwise will recompose the post from the beginning.

Comment

• tizeye
                                  • Oct 2006

The reply never appeared, so re-composing. Thanks everyone for the replies. Zaph, you about threw me with the 'encourage not to build' but the later explaination made sense. Yes, room dynamics have a major role and probably the sole reason for bookshelf over the towers I really want. WAF isn't a major issue as I will build the boxes, veneered and stained to match the furniture - so she's happy. Rather, it is the room with a fireplace monopolizing placement that forces bookshelfs. Granted towers could go either side, but where do the electronic components go. That's the problem. Essentially will build matching component cabinets, stand height, for either side of the fireplace with speakers on top and set far enough out from the wall. Next home (in a couple years), a dedicated music/HT room is an absolute requirement, but currently have to do with what I have.

Didn't intend to start a capacitor war, and figure Dayton vs Dayton (the same company) would avoid it. Overall, I am cheap. Yes, I will splurge slightly with the DIY but there are limits - say $5 on a part if there is a perceived benefit and/or no harm. Don't ever see myself going for hovland, goertz, and mundorf, and while clarity and sonicap might be feasable - that are above the $5 splurge. That is why I was in shock to see the two Daytons so close in price. Likewise the iron core large inductors were in the $15-$20 range. If I could step up to the generally more desirable air cores for the same $20, and keep the DCR within recommended range, it meets my 'cheapness' guideline. Janzen's were ruled out because of the further elevated DCR close to the maximum recommended.

What started it? I could really care less about Dayton vs Bennic (or others). It is more a matter of what the supplier sells. Sure I will get some parts from Madisound (or Zaltron) as they carry the Seas speakers, and Zaltron has the Erse air cores that PE doesn't carry in the required value. But what really started it was the 5/8" foam with no barrier (although I can make a barrier from asphalt roofing flashing strips). That required ordering at least 1" Sonic Barrier from PE. Unfortunately, such material is oversize with a shipping surcharge. Enter my cheapness again. What other light things (either speaker components, or the latest MUST HAVE electronic widget) can I throw in the package without bumping the shipping further. Essentially, free shipping for those components. That is where the Dayton came into play, and confused when I couldn't find any posts on the more expensive 1% - thus the post.

Comment

• exojam
                                    • Dec 2006

I was wondering if anyone could comment-explain Zaphs comment below. Is it that electrolytic caps are low end and Scan are top end or vice versa? Thanks.

Quote from Zaph above:
                                    Both myself and Madisound know what's marketable, and electrolytics hooked up to Scan Speak drivers isn't going to fly.

Comment

• kevinp.
                                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by exojam
                                      I was wondering if anyone could comment-explain Zaphs comment below. Is it that electrolytic caps are low end and Scan are top end or vice versa? Thanks.

Quote from Zaph above:
                                      Both myself and Madisound know what's marketable, and electrolytics hooked up to Scan Speak drivers isn't going to fly.
                                      the former - Scan Speaks are high end, electrolytic caps are not

Comment

• exojam
                                        • Dec 2006

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• jkrutke
                                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by exojam
                                          Electrolytics are believed to be low end by many people. Some believe it just from reading written reviews. Others have become convinced through their own testing they they can hear a difference. I am in the minority in that I think they sound fine and I do occasionally use them for large values. My reference Scan Speak ZRT in house uses a couple in the conjugate notch, paralleled for power handling, and tolerance checked.

Madisound does not use electrolytics in the kits I've done for them. They know what people want, are willing to buy and/or are afraid of buying. I pretty much don't care either way. I'm not on a campaign to convince people of anything, so I just let it go. People are certainly welcome to just buy the drivers separate and get the crossover components they want, but like I said, I think these kind of priorities are way off.

I can allow others to believe what they want, and this discussion is uniquely flame free so far. (try it on other forums, heheh) I do feel a little warmth here though, I better get outside for a bike ride to cool off before this Wisconsin weather doesn't let me anymore.
                                          Zaph|Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

tizeye,

I think many of us here use a similar approach. My crossovers are all Dayton caps. I could have used some real cheap electolytics caps for the woofer, but I was spending so much anyway what is a few more bucks and not have to wonder. But, I wasn't ready to step up to clarity caps or what not. I'm tempted, but too cheep. I could have gotten away with an iron core inductor in a spot, and CJD recommended it, but it was less than $20 to upgrade both to air core, so I did.

Its all trade offs. Until I spend over $1000 on drivers, I don't think I'm going to worry about the caps.
                                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"