How To Increase Power Handling of Tweeter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

How To Increase Power Handling of Tweeter?

I have searched but cannot find what Jon Marsh wrote about halving the value of the tweeter resister? cap? and putting 2 of them together so it can handle more power. Can someone point me to the article? Thanks.
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Don't know about the post.

If you want to increase with power handling use twice the resistance and wire them in parallel.

For example if you need a 6 ohm resistor, buy 2-12's and wire them in parallel. That will double the power handling and give you a 6 ohm resistor.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• 1Michael
      • Sep 2006

Excellant. That's what I was looking for. Thanks Thomas :T
      Michael
      Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

That will increase the power the resistors can dissipate as heat, but that doesn't necessarily mean your tweeter will handle the power.

Steeper HP slopes or higher HP XO point (with the same slope) is the way to increase the power handling of the system and thereby get more out of a tweeter.

David.

Comment

• Sakura
          • Jul 2008

With tweeters, if you want more power handling, don't wire them in parallel, wire them in series. If you put two tweeters in series, they can handle twice the power of one tweeter.

Oh, btw, don't try this unless you have close CTC spacing :P It CAN be done successfully, but I bet not many here have seen it other than in line arrays which are prob. not designed in such a way that lobing isn't an issue...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"