X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KAC
    • Aug 2008

Newbie subwoofer build questions......

I've been lurking around this site now for a couple of months and have decided to enter the DIY speaker building world. I have built a couple of enclosures for automotive applications but never for home use. I have a JL Audio 12w6 laying around from a previous automotive system that I would like to use for my first project. The woofer has dual 6 ohm voice coils and I need an amp that can handle the 3 ohm load. I see the behringer amps are highly recommened on this site and was looking at purchasing one for this build. I will eventually replace this subwoofer and would like to have an amplifier that can be used for the upgrade. I guess what I'm asking is, will these two components work together? Can the seperate channels from the amp be connected to the seperate voice coils so the amp is seeing a 6 ohm load on each channel? Or, can the amp be bridged and handle the 3 ohm load? Any advice would be much appreciated.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I think the amp would probably handle 3 ohms ok. Or at the very least like you said 1 channel to each VC.

Comment

• collo
      • Nov 2005

The EP2500 is rated down to 2 ohms per channel.
      In bridged mode the minimum is 4 ohms.

You would thus need to run it unbridged, with one channel to each coil. Power delivered would be around 600w / channel, ie 1200w total.
      Ports rule ...

Comment

• yousuredo2
        • Jun 2006

I have Just acquired the same speaker...
        and was thinking of using it too.

I tried to model it in WinSD(I am New to it).
        but it stated it would do 19.44hz in a ported enclosure around 7 sq.ft.

I have a 150w plate amp though, not the Ep2500
        so I look forward to hearing what you end up doing.
        My System
        ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
        ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
        ~ Onkyo tx sr805
        ~ Sony PS.3
        ~ Xbox 360
        ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
        ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
        ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
        ~ Behringer ep2500
        ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• KAC
          • Aug 2008

After thinking it through some more, I think I will purchase the ep1500 and bridge the amp. However, I think running the voice coils in series for a total of 12 ohms would probably work best. I am unsure about running seperate channels to each voice coil.
          Last edited by KAC; 06 September 2008, 00:34 Saturday. Reason: typo

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by KAC
            I am unsure about running seperate channels to each voice coil.
            It is quite easy with the EP series (I've got the 2500). It has some DIP switches that you can set to output "parallel" signals (one input, two identical outputs). Hook each VC up to one channel and it's all set.
            Danish

Comment

• KAC
              • Aug 2008

I have been looking at a subsonic filter for this build as well. I checked out the ed eq.2 as well as the Behringer feedback destroyers. Will the behringer units act as a subsonic filter and if so which one would be the best option. If there are better option, please advise......

Comment

• Rightbrained
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by KAC
                I have been looking at a subsonic filter for this build as well. I checked out the ed eq.2 as well as the Behringer feedback destroyers. Will the behringer units act as a subsonic filter and if so which one would be the best option. If there are better option, please advise......
                I am not sure about the others but a Behringer DSP1124P will not work as a subsonic filter below 20hz. I purchased a MIC2200 to use as a SSF , they can be had pretty cheap and also have a balanced line converter and eq built in if you need those for anything.

Comment

• KAC
                  • Aug 2008

well, i have decided to go with the BEHRINGER EP1500 and the Elemental Designs eQ.2. The eonclosure is well on its way to being completed. I am just waiting for the Jasper router jig and a few parts. I understand that subwoofers in a ported enclosure will unload if it sees frequencies below the tuned level. How do I accurately set the subsonic filter to the lowest htz safe for this subwoofer? The dial on the eQ.2 doesn't have small increments to go by.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

I think you can guestimate it close enough considering the pot only has a 25 Hz range. Set it a little below your box tuning. The pic shows the response full left, full right and straight up on the dial.

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by dyazdani
                      It is quite easy with the EP series (I've got the 2500). It has some DIP switches that you can set to output "parallel" signals (one input, two identical outputs). Hook each VC up to one channel and it's all set.
                      I think it was Chuck who said the parallel switch didn't work very well on his EP2500 and one channel had more output than the other. He ended up using stereo mode and a Y cable to feed both inputs. It's worth checking the output with a voltmeter to make sure they're the same.

Comment

• KAC
                        • Aug 2008

The sub is done and it ROCKS!!!!!!

Well, I finally finished the project and tweaked it until it sounds awesome. I originally purchased this speaker 7 years ago and used it in a car audio set-up. It sounded great in a selaed enclosure but it just didn't give me the output that I wanted. It sat around for a couple of years until I got the itch to start upgrading my home theater system. I modeled this speaker with Winisd and started buidling. The enclosure has internal dimensions of 24 x 24 x 22.5 for a total of 7.5 ft3. Less the woofer and port displacement comes out just over the 7 ft3 recommended by Winisd. It is tuned to 19 hz. When I first hooked everything up it sounded like crap.... But, after tinkering with it for awhile, all I can say is WOW! I actually find myself being startled during action scenes due to the impact that is felt. Music also sounds very good with this sub, too. All I can say now is that the fever has overtaken me and I will be building center, mains, and surrounds as soon as I can decide on one design.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"