• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrockman
    • Aug 2007

MT with matched bass bin

I've search thru the forum, but haven't seen any DIY designs like this one:

[IMG][/IMG]

Something about the overall cosmetics of a bass bin which is leaned back and mated to a nicely faceted MT unit is quite appealing.

I would like to build something similar to this, but need a proven 'current' design to work from. I am open to an active bass unit.

The speaker would be for 2 channel music only.

Any suggestions?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry we don't host any sloped front faceted MT designs...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Walter
      • Sep 2005

If you are willing to use a vertical front face for the MT you might consider a Modula MT with an active bass bin under it. You could slant the front of the bass bin, I don't think that would have much impact on the sound and still might give you the look you are interested in.

What kind of a budget are you looking at? If I recall correctly, Wolf, who hangs out over at PE Tech Talk forum designed a slanted MT based on ScanSpeak drivers that sounds very nice. I think his design is posted on the Iowa DIY 2007 website.

Brian Walter

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Sorry we don't host any sloped front faceted MT designs...
        :rf

Nope. none. :P

I was going to suggest the big WWMTM's... i mean, sure, they're all built together, but you could fake it...

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Rbrockman
          Something about the overall cosmetics of a bass bin which is leaned back and mated to a nicely faceted MT unit is quite appealing.

I would like to build something similar to this, but need a proven 'current' design to work from. I am open to an active bass unit.
          Is that a Tony Gee design? Reminds me of the Andromeda.

I was actually planning on designing something very similar, basically copying the design of a bass bin just like that. However, mine would have dipole mids (big surprise there :roll: ).

Not sure how it fits your budget, but the drivers will be:
          Tweeter - SS 9700 (or BG Neo3--I know, very large price difference)
          Mid - SS 8545K
          Woofer - Peerless 10" XLS or XXLS (not sure which one yet)

Bass bins that are angled back are nice break from the normal rectangle, and the extra labor involved is minimal:
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Rbrockman
            • Aug 2007

Thanks for the responses. I have built and am currently using the Modula MT design. While this is a great speaker, I'm looking to step up the bar a bit.

I am now ready to build two more designs in parallel, but do not have the cross-over design skills to implement anything from scratch. The woodworking and electrical component building comes easy. WAF is an issue as no design which consists of a big tall rectangular box is going to pass. There must as much style as there is sound quality. (is that heresy?)

For the first, I would like to build the M8ta or a version of it (waiting on a M12ta...)

For the second, I'm interested in building something with a bottom bass bin and then a top 2 or 3 way avalon or similarly style or even an open baffle top section. The Basslines project seems very interesting.

Speaking of OB designs; I've followed a certain un-named company's OB5/7 design for a while and have always been interested, but the drivers used weren't all that desireable and so have been looking for alternatives. I see Jed has the Tombstone now, but it's a bit pricey..

Can you tell us a bit more about your upcoming dipole design Undefinition? Sounds very interesting and looks to be using quality drivers.

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Can you tell us a bit more about your upcoming dipole design Undefinition? Sounds very interesting and looks to be using quality drivers.
              Well, the only missing piece is my choice of woofer. If anyone around here has a good suggestion, I'm willing to listen. At this point I was thinking of the Peerless XLS because I'm very familiar with Peerless' reputation for quality bass. Plus, I figure if it's good enough for Linkwitz's Orions, it can't be half bad :W HOWEVER, I'll be honest and admit that I've yet to actually hear the woofer.

I HAVE heard some of the 8" Scan Speak revelator woofers, and they were just amazing. But honestly, $350 per driver is too rich for my blood. I figured Peerless was a way to "keep it in the family," and not have to break the bank. I have heard very good things about Focal's low-end drivers, but their drivers seem to be harder and harder to get a hold of, and the more designs I do, the more I make it a goal to use drivers that are still available.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons I'm planning this project was actually at my wife's suggestion. She said, "You're always doing "budget" projects. Why don't you try using expensive parts, and see what happens?" (I know, she's a keeper!)

On the other hand, the Sunflower XT project I just finished is so satisfying that I'm kind of hard-pressed to try to top it for a while. If you're willing to go MTMW instead of TMW for your next project, I would say the Sunflowers are what you're looking for.

If you wanted to build these, but make the cabinets more faceted, that's totally fine. The curves and slants I designed into the Sunflowers are just cosmetic, and have no effect on the sound. You COULD also turn the bass bin around, and mount the woofer on a slanted baffle. I'd have to check the simulation, and see if any XO modification would be necessary (if so, I imagine it would be slight).
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Rbrockman
                • Aug 2007

The speakers shown at the top of the thread are from the http://www.edgaraudio.com/ site.

There are two similar DIY projects there which are the eVe II, and eVeII F speakers (very similar to Tony G. Andromeda design). These designs are 6-7 years old and I'm sure drivers and cross-over designs have evolved.

If I had cross-over design skills I would try and build these with modern high quality drivers, but I know enough to not even try at this stage.

Funny you should mention your wife suggesting your project. My wife likes the Modula MT's (in PE piano black boxes) but thinks they should be moved to the den or bedroom and be replaced with floor standing speakers which have a contemporary design and much deeper bass. "No stands, and no regular rectangular boxes" is the mantra.

My search continues....

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

My search continues....
                  If you’re still looking for a faceted MT design here at htguide…

Here is Jon Marsh’s M8ta’s:

As far as I can tell, a decent number of these have been built and everyone seems very happy with them. Jon is one of the local speaker design gurus, so you can’t go wrong with one of his creations.

And then there’s this one:

Pimp alert: I’m making them. The design is 99% complete. The full cabinet volume is not used for the woofer, so adding bass bins to the bottom would be pretty straightforward.

-Jon

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"