X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • berlin07
    • Jan 2006

Modula MT Compromise

I currently have 3 Modula Mt Towers (internally blocked off at the standard .75 cu ft) that I am using for surround duty in my HT. In short my surrounds must come off the floor and move to the ceiling. I don't have time to built a set of enclosures with my current work schedule and the PE .75 cu ft box is just to big to hang off my basement ceiling. So are the PE .50 cu ft curved enclosures in sealed configuration doable for a surround only application? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-721 Or is the 8.5” baffle width to much of a compromise? If the smaller PE cabinets are an issue is there any other options out there? Or should I just scrap the Modula's and build another project?

Sorry if the answer is already out there. I used the search function and found no definitive answers.
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

While not ideal, I don't think you would have a problem using them as surrounds as long as the baffle is wide enough. Definitely better than most of the crap you would find at the big box stores.

Comment

• berlin07
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
      While not ideal, I don't think you would have a problem using them as surrounds as long as the baffle is wide enough. Definitely better than most of the crap you would find at the big box stores.
      Thanks for your reply PoorboyMike. Baffle width is my major concern as the .50 PE enclosures only have a 8.5" baffle width and the Modula's call for a 10" baffle. So I guess I should not ask if, but how much will the 1.5" affect sound quality?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There's more to it than just the smaller baffle. By moving the speaker to the ceiling you change the boundary loading.

This is one of those situation where you'll have to experiment. I think you'll be ok...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• berlin07
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
          There's more to it than just the smaller baffle. By moving the speaker to the ceiling you change the boundary loading.

This is one of those situation where you'll have to experiment. I think you'll be ok...

Thanks Thomas. I'll play around with them. Would you suggest another build for this application? Or is the above worth a try?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

As I posted previously I think it will work..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"