X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sokoban
    • Apr 2006

Enlarging PE prefab cabinets

Would it be possible to connect a PE 1.0 ft^3 and 0.75 ft^3 cabinet in order to make a ~1.75 ft^3 cabinet?

I have a couple Natalie P MTMs I built last year and am in the process of building 3 Modula NeoD cc's and 4 Modula MT (non bsc) speakers so that I can have a separate 2 channel and HT setup. At the PE tent sale this year I got three of the 0.75 ft^3 MTM cabinets for pretty cheap and was thinking of using them to increase the volume of the NeoD or Natalie P to around 50 L so I could get more bass extension.

The NeoD's will be running with a sub (Tempest-X in a 3.0 PE box, another tent sale score), which will hopefully be replaced with an IB (HT room has a closet that is almost exactly 20x the Vas of the ficaraudio 18"). When (if?) the IB gets completed the 15" sub will probably go downstairs with the Natalie P's.

So, would it be feasible to expand the cabinets, and if so which would be better to do, the NeoD or the Natalie P?

If it would be feasible, would it be better to use the 0.75 to extend the back of the cabinet, or use them as a sort of stand/extension? I'm guessing the back so as to not mess with the baffle step or whatever since the 0.75 ft^3 MTM and 1.0 ft^3 MTM are different widths, but I don't know.

Thanks for the help/amazing design work. ;x(
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

By the time you get around to all that you're pretty much building your own cabinets anyhow...

Why not just build the box and use your current baffle on the new box? You can do this even on a tower design...
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• sokoban
      • Apr 2006

Because I got a crazy good deal on three 0.75 ft^3 MTM cabinets (scratches on the rear or bottom) and got three 1.0 ft^3 cabinets for ~55% off (old style with no magnets for grilles, no blemishes I could find, but no shipping boxes) at the tent sale.

Figured I really couldn't beat the black finish on the 1.0 ft^3 cabinets and the blemishes on the 0.75 ft^3 cabinets would be easy to hide.

Comment

• dawg1161
        • May 2006

Someday I'm going to one of these tent sales............................

Comment

• sokoban
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dawg1161
          Someday I'm going to one of these tent sales............................
          I'm not sure which is more amazing, how much you save or how much more you spend than initially intended.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

At the PE tent sale this year I got three of the 0.75 ft^3 MTM cabinets for pretty cheap and was thinking of using them to increase the volume of the NeoD or Natalie P to around 50 L so I could get more bass extension.
            Neither of those designs need additional bass extension to work with a sub. Besides when using a standard 80Hz crossover point who cares about more low bass ability when it's not going to be used?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sokoban
              • Apr 2006

Cool. That works for me.

Now I have a good excuse to learn more about the design aspect of speaker building when I'm done with my current projects. Two of these cabinets would look nice as a pair of computer speakers, and the third would make a good monitor stand/case for a small amplifier and headphone amp.

Comment

• bluewizard
                • Mar 2008

Question; are the cabinet assembled, or are they in kits?

If kits, it gets easier. If not, it gets harder.

If the cabinets are fully assembled, then you could cut the bottom off one and the top off the other, but first you must ask yourself if you have a way of cutting them that assure that they will be reasonably straight when you are done? It will be difficult to re-glue cabinets that have been hacked apart.

Next, you must assure yourself that there are no NAILS or SCREWS in the areas you will be cutting. Very likely the cabinets were fastened with a nail gun to speed the process of assembly.

Third, are the cabinets paint finished or are they veneer? If veneer, then you must assure that the cuts are clean and smooth, or the seam is going to look nasty.

Finally, if you have all the tools to assure the above, why not just build new cabinets. Yes, I know, you have these cabinets and want to use them, but why not use them for what they were intended? Throw together some nice speaker in those cabinets, and sell them for a small profit.

So, to answer your question 'Can I do it?'; the answer is YES, you can do it...if you can do it.

In other words, if have the tools and skill necessary to do a good job of it, then certainly it can be done.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"