X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Documentation of my Plasma Speaker Project

For those who haven't read the threads in which it has been mentioned, I have been playing with a rudimentary plasma speaker design. I've recently decided to shelve the project due to some real safety concerns as well as the fact these don't sound very good without a LOT of work and custom components (namely the high voltage transformer). I've decided to document what I did here.

The system I used was a very simple Pulse Width Modulation amplifier that drove a high voltage transformer ripped from an electronic neon sign power supply. This is not one of the huge 60Hz high voltage sign transformers of yesteryear but a more modern switching device. It specifically was removed from an Evertron 2610 ordered from Neon Central.

This transformer has a single primary wound out of enameled copper wire driven by a half-bridge N channel FET system. The FET's ran off of line voltage through a voltage doubler rectifier to send a +338VDC square wave to the primary. The transformer also had two secondaries - the high voltage secondary, and a much lower voltage feedback secondary. The HV secondary was rated for 5.5kVrms @ 27mA but higher voltage was easily achieved once removed from its original power supply.

The pulse width modulator I used was an extremely simple analog design. Everything ran from from a regulated +15V supply. A triangle wave generator (schematic available in National Instruments application note AN-31.pdf in the signal generator section) was made using OPA2132 op amps and compared using another OPA2132 as a comparator to an analog input signal AC coupled into the single supply system to generate the PWM waveform. A true comparator would have been better, but due to the low speeds it didn't really matter.

This low-level PWM signal was send to an L6384 half bridge driver which fed two N-channel MOSFETs rated at 250V. I supplied the half bridge with rectified and filtered line voltage (169VDC). A DC blocking capacitor was put on the output of the half-bridge to prevent saturating the transformer.

The transformer in question had a strong resonance at approximately 33kHz. The PWM frequency was chosen to drive the transformer at this frequency with the PWM amplifier. This method was expected to be very very nonlinear for two reasons I won't go into here, and indeed it was. Tones fed into it with a tone generator elicited quite distorted sound, but the fundamental frequency was correct. I could run it to 650Hz before the arc would fail.

This method will never work for high quality sound. It was a simple test to see if I could really do this. My second idea for driving this is likely to be much more successful in terms of linearity, and if anyone is still reading and wants to play with this stuff I think it's a novel idea.

Since the transformer exhibited a strong high-Q resonance @ 33kHz, it could be operated at a bias point just beneath that (say 30kHz) while still maintaining a good thermal plasma arc. Using FM modulation, one could shift the drive frequency of the half-bridge switching amp according to an input audio signal. This would sweep the drive frequency from 27 to 33kHz, and generate your max 'peak-to-peak' output amplitude. This is bound to be better than the first method, but it still will be quite limited in the high frequency bandwidth. Some may remember my interest in the XR2206 function generator chip a few weeks back. One of the reasons I was looking into it was its built-in FM modulation capability. Some old-timers may recognize that this is essentially how an old 'super re-gen' tuner functions, but in reverse and with much higher power.

There is further capability here available with the feedback available from the second low voltage secondary winding. I never characterized its operation, but I expect that some form of feedback could be applied using it to further linearize the system.

Below are images of the triangle wave, a resulting low level PWM signal, and the output of the (totally unloaded and undamped) half-bridge.
    Attached Files
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

Wow :T , seems like a difficult project. At diyaudio there was also a thread about plasma tweeters.

For me it is not totally clear how it works, can you elaborate on this? Is the PWM signal some kind of carrier wave for the audio signal? Obviously the audio signal itself has not enough energy for creating a plasma, so the energy of the modulated signal feeding the plasma?

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

The hard part was having the guts (stupidity?) to try fooling around with high voltage like this. The electronics are all very basic for anyone with experience with microcontrollers or DC motor controls or PWM amps, which admittedly not many here are familiar with. But I certainly didn't do anything original with the simple setup here. It's in the FM modulation and feedback that I was going to be doing something original (I think) but I'm much more comfortable working with +/-15V active filter circuits and such

Doing something like this is a whole lot of R&D and experimentation. It's a really big endeavor, and I just tinkered compared to what others have done.

The easiest way to explain PWM is to say that the duty cycle (the ratio of the time the square wave spends 'high') is directly correlated to the amplitude of the audio signal. For an audio signal that ranges -1V to +1V in amplitude if there is no signal (0V input), the duty cycle is 50% (equal times high and low). If the signal goes to -0.5V, the duty cycle decreases to 25%. If the signal goes to +0.5V it goes to 75%. The period (time high + time low) of the square wave always stays the same. If you wanted to get an actual analog signal back out, you just have to add a low pass filter to the PWM signal. In my case the transformer itself served to do the lowpassing.

If you look at my waveforms, you will see that the 'high' portion of the square waves is changing (the falling edge is a blur). That's the modulation that's going on.

Comment

• MuaDibb
        • Oct 2006

Here's a couple of videos I saw awhile back, showing a plasma speaker. It would be pretty cool for a desktop speaker. :P

Please watch my other videos of this...Here is an early crude prototype of a powerful plasma arc speaker / tweeter. This has now been superseeded by an effic...

Hello ;) Please rate this video if you like it - comments are always welcome - Following on from my other designs & videos, this is the fully completed prot...
        Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

That is just the coolest thing..... Are there like PCB's you can order for this? I would love to play around with it a bit but never been so good at designing PCB's and what not not advanced enough to figure out how to design a circuit. But it is amazingly interesting.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"