X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neuro
    • Oct 2007

Occluded woofer designs

Does anyone have experience or opinions on occluded woofer line array designs like these:
    XRT2K
    LS6593

It seems like a horrible idea at first sight, but surely McIntosh wouldn't do something horrible for their flagship speaker... Anyone know of examples other than the two I found?

I'm tempted to DIY something similar. The draw is to do something unconventional and hope that the slim design (as opposed to placing the woofers next to the mid/tweet lines) is more aesthetically pleasing. The crossover to the woofers would be fairly low (probably ~300Hz), so maybe odd reflections off the front line would be less of an issue.

Any thoughts?
  • Amphiprion
    • Apr 2006

Depending on XO frequency, it could be fine.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by neuro
      It seems like a horrible idea at first sight, but surely McIntosh wouldn't do something horrible for their flagship speaker...
      They haven't sounded very good the 3 times I've tried to audition them at the RMAF.

Can't really comment about the bass since I was driven out of the room by the harsh high frequencies...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dlr
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
        They haven't sounded very good the 3 times I've tried to audition them at the RMAF.

Can't really comment about the bass since I was driven out of the room by the harsh high frequencies...
        I suspect those need to be in a fairly large room and positioned at some distance. What was the setting where you heard them?

dlr
        Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

They've been both in a small room and a suite depending on the year. I was surprised to hear this hot high-end on all occasions. They were of course being driven by all McIntosh electronics.

A PS, that being any of the line arrays I've heard that use little cone/domes the high-end has been hot. This includes the Pipedreams and the fullrange line array system using tiny drivers (who's name escapes me) that received all the buzz a year or two ago.

This situation is a bit puzzling to me because I have high frequency hearing damage, so things need to be really hot to effect me...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• HareBrained
            • Jul 2008

Wouldn't this have a similar effect as a down firing sub? I could see having to have a very solid mid-enclosure but the resonances would be different frequencies.
            John

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by HareBrained
              Wouldn't this have a similar effect as a down firing sub?
              They're using a 250Hz crossover point. Can't do that with a downfiring driver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"