X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

Which subwoofer driver should I buy?

I'm looking to get a subwoofer, which would be temporarily powered by my 70w plate amp I already have. It must be from partsexpress and I don't want to spend more than about $150. I was looking at the Dayton HF line. My room is 13x18x8 (1900 cf). This will mostly be used for movies and gaming. I'd like something that will perform well with the LFE aswell. Thanks.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • fourdegrees11
    • Aug 2008

70w isn't much, so something with good sensitivity should be used. How about the 15" DVC?

AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

I'm planning on buying a pro amp in a while...if that makes a difference. How do the DVC series compare to the RS series?
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• fourdegrees11
        • Aug 2008

DVC gives you higher output for less money. The RS line claims lower distortion. The 15" RS requires a larger box then the 15" DVC.
        Last edited by fourdegrees11; 24 August 2008, 11:40 Sunday.
        AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• krips
          • Sep 2007

Interesting. The 15" classic also beats out the others in output it looks like, although it has limited xmax...
          Sharp LC-42D64U
          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by krips
            It must be from partsexpress
            Why?
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

In the $150 or less bracket the Dayton DVC 15" is the best bet. It's also reasonably efficient meaning it will play loudest with your existing amp. Use a ported alignment.

Since it has so little power you'll need to be careful not to over drive the amp. Were you to accidentally run it into gross clipping the driver could be damaged or destroyed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

The RS line claims lower distortion.
                It doesn't just claim it. It measures WAY better. As long as you plan on getting a new amp later, I'd go with the RS and live with low output for a while.

Comment

• Amphiprion
                  • Apr 2006

Measurements?

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

It's not an exact comparison but comparing the 12" RS to the old version of the 12" Shiva will give you a pretty good idea. The Dayton DVC line is a clone of the old Shiva/Tempest line -- both built by Eminence. Last I heard Monte was building a pair of uber dipole subs with a total of 16 of the 15" RS. :E

Comment

• krips
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                      Why? [why must it be purchased from parts express
                      I'm from canada, and there are things that I am already ordering from there. I don't want to pay for higher shipping and extra import duties etc. Unless Kevin will match whatever the extra shipping would be from pe :P. I do plan on getting extra amplification eventually and I want this driver to last me a very long time. So I'd like whatever would do me best in the long run. Thanks for all your help so far guys.
                      Sharp LC-42D64U
                      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Why not buy from CSS or Mach 5?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Ahhh, I see. Blame Canada! :P

Looks like Thomas has a good suggestion.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• krips
                            • Sep 2007

CSS doesn't look to have any subs that suit my needs. Neither does Solen. The Mach5 MJ-18M seems to model well though, about the same as the DVC. Has anyone had any experience with the MJ-18M? How would it compare in sound to the DVC?
                            Sharp LC-42D64U
                            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The Mach5 MJ-18M seems to model well though, about the same as the DVC.
                              Correct but is moves more air
                              Has anyone had any experience with the MJ-18M? How would it compare in sound to the DVC?
                              There are numerous builds using the MJ-18 (not the newer MJ-18M) scattered around several forums.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• krips
                                • Sep 2007

I read on the mach5 forum that the MJ-18M doesn't sound all that musical. I'm considering doing a dual ported RSS315HF now, although I'd need a new amp to run it as I doubt mine would handle 2 ohms.
                                Sharp LC-42D64U
                                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• looneybomber
                                  • May 2007

With the small amp you have now, the CSS offerings may not be the best. However, if you buy yourself a pro-amp - EP2500 for example - the CSS SDX-15 becomes a real nice looking driver. You may also have good luck with the Mach5 offerings - IXL or MJ.

If you feel even more output is needed from a single driver, the Maelstrom-x is the newest, affordable, high displacement king.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

I read on the mach5 forum that the MJ-18M doesn't sound all that musical.
                                    That would be news to the dozen or so people using them in IB subs...

Do you have a link to where that's posted?

I'm considering doing a dual ported RSS315HF now, although I'd need a new amp to run it as I doubt mine would handle 2 ohms.
                                    What happened to the $150 limit? There are lots of good drivers when the budget is doubled.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• krips
                                      • Sep 2007

The Maelstrom looks very impressive, but for the price, heck I could get 3 RSS315HFs which would give me 5db more output down to about 17hz..., i think, anyway.
                                      Sharp LC-42D64U
                                      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• krips
                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                        That would be news to the dozen or so people using them in IB subs...

Do you have a link to where that's posted?

What happened to the $150 limit? There are lots of good drivers when the budget is doubled.
                                        ---> Linkage http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...howtopic=19273
                                        "The MJ right off the bat didn't sound like a subwoofer that I'd use to listen to music. It seemed pretty sloppy on kick drums. It almost seemed like it wanted to throw a bass line after each one."

The $150 limit went away when It seemed as though it wouldn't be possible to get what I wanted for $150...good infrasonic performance from a sub 8cf or less that does decent with music too.

So you say the MJ-18M is a good sounding sub then, Thomas? If so, I'll get'er ordered up, as it seems to fit the bill!
                                        Sharp LC-42D64U
                                        TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• krips
                                          • Sep 2007

The Fi Q-18 looks good on paper but models horribly when its ported. I can't get it to model well at all .
                                          Sharp LC-42D64U
                                          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

The 'review' is rather silly. There are no measurements, he's comparing the MJ18 with a driver costing 3-4 times more money, and he doesn't have enough knowledge to put damping material in enclosure.

The quality of the MJ18M is certainly in keeping with the low cost drivers used in the TriTrix speakers. That said if you have the budget for a better driver it would be a good long term investment.

So I think it comes down to whether or not you want to spend $250, if you do buy the CSS SDX15, otherwise buy the MJ18M.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"