X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rightbrained
    • Jul 2008

Building Natalie

I am about to undertake my first DIY loudspeaker project with the Natalie P.
    I have one subwoofer build (Maelstrom-x) under my belt and am ready to take the plunge.
    The crossover network scares me the most as I have absolutely zero experience . I have glued the components to the board and have started wiring but have not soldered any yet. I thought it best to post a photo for you to inspect to see if I am headed in the right direction.
    Also I am concerned with the ability of my Denon AVR-988 (AVR-2808 ) to drive the 4 ohm load of the Natalie P. Does anyone have these paired to a Denon and if so how does it behave?

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 27 June 2023, 20:46 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
  • scape
    • Aug 2008

4 ohm is a little low i think, i would not go under 6...

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

That receiver will probably be ok with a 4ohm load.

Comment

• Rightbrained
        • Jul 2008

I have only had the receiver about 2 months so I hope it will drive the speakers . IF not I would likely buy a couple of amps and use the Denon as a pre/pro.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Your receiver will be fine. It may be a slightly weak in the bass and some of the areas where the impedance dips, but it won't be bursting into flames. My Pioneer 1015tx drove my speakers just fine, though the Outlaw amp is noticeably better.If you can afford a decent separate amp, that is always highly recommended.

I would hook up the speakers and the crossovers as is and see how it sounds. You don't have to solder them initially, as long as you have good mechanical connection. My speakers probably limed for 6 months with the crossover just twisted together. If you hear some funk, we can take a hard look at that crossover.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Rightbrained
            • Jul 2008

Thanks K , I followed Opt-E's diagram so it should be fine. I just need to get some terminal strips and solder so I can finish them up. Doing a mechanical test run does seem like a good idea prior to soldering though so thanks for that tip.
            I will keep my eye out for a good outboard amp . In the future I plan on building an entire 5.0 set-up with all Dayton RS drivers so new amps will certainly be an asset.
            I am awaiting cabinets so I cant try them out just yet. Was going to build those myself too but I have decided to try the Parts Express cabinets as everyone recommends them highly.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If you save for a little while I amongst others here can easily recommend an Emotiva amp And they are relatively cheap considering. You can get a 5 channel amp for 799. Just an idea of course you could find something used.

Comment

• Rightbrained
                • Jul 2008

Thanks for that heads up Dougie. I had never heard of that brand before but I will check them out. I got a steal on my EP2500 used and it is in great shape. I also bought a used BFD for 24 bucks on ebay .

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

The Emotiva stuff is extremely well built. My XPA-3 is a 3 channel amp and weights like 60lbs.

Comment

• Rightbrained
                    • Jul 2008

Wow , their stuff does look good. I have been reading up on the XPA-5 . Add something else to the wanted list :lol:

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Rightbrained
                      I am awaiting cabinets so I cant try them out just yet. Was going to build those myself too but I have decided to try the Parts Express cabinets as everyone recommends them highly.
                      That is what they are there for. No shame in using them.
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"