Dual Shiva-X sub project......help please...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blktre
    • Apr 2008

Dual Shiva-X sub project......help please...

After bouncing alot of ideas off Stangbats head including my own, I think Ive come up with a plan. I'm sure this needs tweaking with help from you guys. Ill begin with my goals and room size.

My budget, $1000.00. Id like to build something that can handle HT primarily and for music when i feel the need. So solely a huge boom boom design may not be what I need. My room is "L" shaped. The front sound stage sits in a 13'x8' front wall and extends 35' from the LCR to the back of the room. The "L" opens up to 26', 8' past my R tower, ceiling is 8'. My actual listening position is 14' from the LCR. I'm using the ZDT3.5 and vented CC. Geeez, that sounds confusing.

Heres the plan. Id like to build two separate boxes and place them behind the LR. I'm looking at the 12" Shiva-X. For power the Behringer EP2500 and using one or two of the Reckhorn B1 EQ. Two B1's will give me separate control for each sub.
    Hochwertige Audiokomponenten für Hifi, PC, Car-Hifi und Heimkino

Cab. size will come into play as Kevin at DIYCable suggest using a 17" long port for the ported designs. This could make the box size pretty large. So im looking at the sealed 100L box.
    diycable.com - Contact us for any business inquiries

I haven't figured up yet how big a 100L box will be. Since this is a sealed design, i don't need a subsonic filter. Which the B1 does not offer. Im also at a loss on how to wire up the Shiva's. Will this size of sealed box be what im looking for sonically?

Remember I will be building 2 subs of the same design. Another option is to buy two Titanic 12" MKII kits and punt the Behringer and Reckhorn.

Another Amp option is the Dayton HPSA 1000-R. But im not sure it has all the EQ stuff on it. I'm open to a different EQ vs the Reckhorn, but it will need to run 2 subs independently. Well, there it is, please make any comments as need be. I will appreciate it....Thanks in advance....
    Andy
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Before we go any further why do you need/want to use the B-1?

Do you not have a receiver or pre-pro that has a sub out?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Blktre
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Before we go any further why do you need/want to use the B-1?

Do you not have a receiver or pre-pro that has a sub out?
      My receiver has 1 sub out but i also can configure my SB (6.1) which i don't use for a second sub.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I fail to understand the need for the B-1?

With $1k to spend I'd buy 2-Tempest-X, one EP2500 and one Behringer DSP1124P or FBQ2496.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Blktre
          • Apr 2008

I fail to understand the need for the B-1?

With $1k to spend I'd buy 2-Tempest-X, one EP2500 and one Behringer DSP1124P or FBQ2496.
          I knew somebody could point me towards another option for EQ. Those things look pretty sweet. It also looks like a 2 channel EQ. Even better.
          I figured the Tempest would come up. I'm worried the Tempest subs will blow me away and wont be at all good for any type of music listening. With that said, im guessing the Behringer EQ's i can adjust back and forth from HT and be reasonable for music as well. Am i close?

I will go look at the Tempest sealed designs again........

Thanks Thomas....

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

With the 1124P you can create separate stereo filters for music, HT, games, and 7 other things.

I prefer the FBQ2496. It's easier to program and has better filter options. However it doesn't have 10 independent sets of stereo filters.

Using a sealed alignment the Tempests will be great for music and HT. The ~$50 difference between the Shiva and Tempest make the Tempest a no brainer provided the budget isn't tight..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Blktre
              • Apr 2008

With the 1124P you can create separate stereo filters for music, HT, games, and 7 other things.

I prefer the FBQ2496. It's easier to program and has better filter options. However it doesn't have 10 independent sets of stereo filters.

Using a sealed alignment the Tempests will be great for music and HT. The ~$50 difference between the Shiva and Tempest make the Tempest a no brainer provided the budget isn't tight..
              Sounds like a plan. I see dual Tempest's running off the Behringer gear. Off to study Tempest sealed boxes.
              If anybody else has comments, they are welcome....
              Thanks again....

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

IB...

hehe...
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Blktre
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by cjd
                  IB...

hehe...
                  Ive heard that about you...... :P

Comment

• Brian Hinther
                    • Mar 2008

One of the other considerations might be that the Shiva-X could run with as little as 65 liters (heavy damping), or about a 16" cube. The Tempest-X is going to need closer to 200 liters (again, heavily damped), or about a 24" cube. If you have the room, the Tempest-X would be great.

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

I built a 24" cube for the original Adire Tempest - it was... bigger than it seemed it would be. But man did it sound good.

C
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

One of the things I really liked about the Adire Tempest was that is had a fairly strong motor, with a Qts of about .35 (measured). These new XBL motors seem weaker to gain the excursion they have.

Comment

• Blktre
                          • Apr 2008

My biggest problem is running dual Tempest 120L sealed boxes on a 13' sound stage. Just wont work space wise. So my mind is running circles.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Use smaller boxes and a little more EQ

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fourdegrees11
                              • Aug 2008

Instead of dual Tempests, how about a single Maelstrom-X in a 120 L sealed box. The Q is higher then ideal, but it still gets 30hz -3 db anechoic (win ISD).
                              AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Sure.

Thing is there are almost unlimited options. The goals are to have as much Vd (swept volume) as is reasonable within the limits of the budget)

Another option with any driver/drivers is to make the box smaller and use what's called a Linkwitz transform circuit to make it play low.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• fourdegrees11
                                  • Aug 2008

Well the Dual Tempest's will have more Vd at 8.54 L vs 7.8 L for the Maelstrom, but the Maelstrom gets the benefit of only needing a single 120 L enclosure. The final build cost of the Maelstrom would probably end up a bit cheaper also (driver costs are equal).
                                  AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Whichever floats your boat....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"