• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scape
    • Aug 2008

seas excel series worth the cost?

I am looking heavily into the Seas Excel:

and

to start off on a minitower concept I had rolling in my head; I'm still looking to pair a 7-8" woofer to bring it down to 50hz with sufficient spl.

These speakers look awesome on paper, but are they really worth this amount of buck? Is there something similar in quality for a bargain?

;x( to all the accomplished speaker builders around here, great work! =D
  • fourdegrees11
    • Aug 2008

I would give the Peerles HDS Exclusive woofers a look, Or the Dayton RS

AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by scape
      I am looking heavily into the Seas Excel:

and

to start off on a minitower concept I had rolling in my head; I'm still looking to pair a 7-8" woofer to bring it down to 50hz with sufficient spl.

These speakers look awesome on paper, but are they really worth this amount of buck? Is there something similar in quality for a bargain?

;x( to all the accomplished speaker builders around here, great work! =D

I would say the Seas Excel are marginally better than the Dayton RS drivers. The place where I would use Excel is in the midrange, and use Dayton RS for the bass. Of course if you have to have the "best" the Seas or ScanSpeak drivers are the way to go.

Here's my version of using Excel drivers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jed

Comment

• Paul Ebert
        • May 2004

Well, in addition to the ones already mentioned, the Usher 8945P should probably be considered. Though, I got the impression you were less than thrilled with it, Jed. Is that correct?

What crossover point are you planning to use and to which tweeter?

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Jed
          I would say the Seas Excel are marginally better than the Dayton RS drivers.
          If your design could accommodate an MTM configuration, you might find that two Dayton RS woofers gave you lower distortion and more output than one Excel. The two RS drivers would still be less than half the cost of the Excel.

Of course an MTM using Excels (or Scanspeaks) would be awesome, but... $ :E $

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
            Well, in addition to the ones already mentioned, the Usher 8945P should probably be considered. Though, I got the impression you were less than thrilled with it, Jed. Is that correct?

What crossover point are you planning to use and to which tweeter?
            Never used the usher 8945P, but I'm sure they are nice too.

I'm basically just speaking from what I've heard at DIYDayton and all the tests I've done lately.

The ScanSpeaks sounded in a league better than Dayton RS. I thought the Seas Excel sounded better than the Dayton RS systems in the midrange, but not really in the bass. All my comments are subjective right now because it really depends on what he wants to do.

I think those Nextel Seas Excel aren't as good as the Magnesium drivers as well. But I haven't heard all of them, here I look at the test data to make that remark.

Jed

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

I think the OP was talking about using the Seas M15 as the mid in a 3-way so that opens up lots of possibilities like the TB W4-1337. About the tweeter, the standard Seas line, like the 27TDFC, tests about as well as the Excel and costs a fraction.

Comment

• scape
                • Aug 2008

thanks for the tweeter idea, that is so damn tempting with its literally a fraction of the price; too bad it rolls off before 20khz, but i imagine that is solid for HT use (considering the house curve).
                thanks for all the links, I checked out the usher series and more of scanspeak- which have great woofers, very linear response and much better spl than seas in the low-end.

is ideal to complete the set in a smooth and somewhat linear motion down to 50hz, but puts me far over by atleast half a grand of what I was hoping to put into this project!
                The seas midrange driver is so versatile, you only need good coverage @ 200hz and below. I guess the hope is as a 3 way classic-style sealed box, i wanted to stay away from the complications of ported; and this means a solid 7-8" at the least for good 200-50hz coverage. AS for the crossovers, I am starting to think about that, but I wanted to work top down on the speakers first, next the crossover :P
                I think the closer the speakers are matched, the easier it will be to cross it over and equalize it without serious dips (harder to relieve) or jumps (slightly easier to fix).

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Scape, can you design a crossover? That should be the first thing of importance. If not no matter what quality drivers you use it won't sound good.

So if you don't have experience with crossovers build something on zaphaudio.com or maybe one of the Mission Accomplished speakers.

Comment

• Sakura
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by scape
                    thanks for the tweeter idea, that is so damn tempting with its literally a fraction of the price; too bad it rolls off before 20khz, but i imagine...
                    Can you hear over 17 Khz? I bet most people can't.

For the subwoofer I recommend this: http://www.tymphany.com/830668

Or this: http://www.tymphany.com/files/products/pdf/830951.pdf (this one looks simply awesome)

But those are both 10"

If you don't want more than 8" for the low end woofer, then the Dayton RS225 does look nice, or this one: http://www.tymphany.com/830667

The Peerless SLS 8 (8 inch) has a little more excursion and about double the power handling of the Dayton RS225 8" woofer.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sakura
                      Most would consider a driver having a 33Hz Fs and an Xmax of 8mm to be a woofer...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• scape
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sakura
                        Can you hear over 17 Khz? I bet most people can't.

Or this: http://www.tymphany.com/files/products/pdf/830951.pdf (this one looks simply awesome)

But those are both 10"

If you don't want more than 8" for the low end woofer, then the Dayton RS225 does look nice, or this one: http://www.tymphany.com/830667

The Peerless SLS 8 (8 inch) has a little more excursion and about double the power handling of the Dayton RS225 8" woofer.

my cat's name is sakura! ok, anyways; to your statement regarding 17khz: true many cannot, but i feel as though having the high frequencies is important, in a way it compliments other lower frequencies when filling a room; not to mention a person in good hearing health can hear up to 20khz, and even sense (but not necessarily "hear") above this range. the same goes for the low end, way down to even 15hz (by sense only).
                        those woofers look great, definitely like the 830668 link but 10" is just too big for the box i had in mind. the 830667 may just fit the bill when complimented with a separate subwoofer.
                        in all of this research, btw thanks for everyone for all the great links and help, i'm starting to think i need more juice to power these respectably...i'm at 90watts and my avr (denon 1909) does not have pre-outs :-\

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Who's doing the crossover work? It's more important than the drivers chosen...

C
                          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• tktran
                            • Jan 2005

I'm with cjd on this one...

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"