X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourdegrees11
    • Aug 2008

Newbie question about multiple woofers

This board seems to be full of very knowlegable people, I'm trying to increase my understanding of things so one day I can contribute. I understand that doubling the number of drivers gives a 3 db increase in sensitivity, and wiring them in parallel also gives a 3 db boost for 6 db total increase. BSC eats up this gain and you get a the single drivers claimed sensitivity in your room. Thats what I understand, now for the questions...

In the above senario is a full 6 db of BSC automatic, or can you still shape it to whatever amount you like (3-4 db)?

If you have two 4 ohm drivers and you wire them in series to get 8 ohms, how does this play out? Does the increase in impedance cancel out the surface area gain? A pair of 90 db 4 ohm drivers become 90 db 8 ohm drivers that still have to deal with BSC, or am I looking at this all wrong...
    AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/
  • minkuni
    • Feb 2008

You are on the right track. Two (identical) drivers in series will have the same voltage sensitivity as either driver alone since doubling the impedance cancels out the gain from the doubled cone area. The advantage of this setup is a reduced current load on the amplifier.

As for the baffle step questions doubling the number of drivers with a parallel or series connection does not change anything. Connecting two bass drivers in parallel gives you 6dB higher voltage sensitivity which you can choose to spend entirely on BSC, but only if you want to. In many cases a full 6dB is not required (or desired) and you can get away with 3-4dB of BSC with a couple of dB's "left over" to spend on midrange/tweeter sensitivity. I hope this makes sense to you
    Last edited by minkuni; 22 August 2008, 02:45 Friday.
    Hail to Slay Radio baby!

Comment

• fourdegrees11
      • Aug 2008

Thanks!
      AKA - Jay1

http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"