X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james5
    • Dec 2007

Have box...need sub

So here goes...

I have a 1.9 cu ft box. I want to put a 12" sub in it for 70% HT/20% Gaming/10% Music. I have a HSU STF-2 that I want to move over by the TV and set this new one up in the corner by the couch. I would prefer that it be down-firing.

I've tried to narrow things down by using WinISD, but this is the first time I've used it. I've attached the plots of the Shiva (in yellow) and DaytonTitanic MKIII (in orange). The Titanic is modeled in a ported box tuned to 22.27 Hz using 2 EA 2 inch ports. The Shiva is modeled sealed because I don't think I can make my box work for it ported (the ports too long).

Do you guys have any more suggestions on other subs I should look at? Did I do anything wrong? What are your suggestions on plate amps? I've seen a lot of talk in here about the Behrenger EP2500...is that overkill?

Thanks guys...this forum is incredible! :T
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

2" ports are going to huff and puff like a steam locomotive.

IMO 22Hz tuning is to high for HT. There are a lot of sound effects that are ~15Hz. If the box is tuned to 22Hz you'll destroy the woofer unless you have a high-pass filter to protect it. If you go sealed the box itself will limit the lows.

Is this a smallish room and what are the dimensions of the box? Reason for asking is the price difference between Shiva-X and Tempest-X isn't that much, and the Tempest will move a lot more air..

Given the minimal price difference between an EP 2500 and EP1500, it's a no brainer to get the 2500...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• james5
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
      2" ports are going to huff and puff like a steam locomotive.

IMO 22Hz tuning is to high for HT. There are a lot of sound effects that are ~15Hz. If the box is tuned to 22Hz you'll destroy the woofer unless you have a high-pass filter to protect it. If you go sealed the box itself will limit the lows.

Is this a smallish room and what are the dimensions of the box? Reason for asking is the price difference between Shiva-X and Tempest-X isn't that much, and the Tempest will move a lot more air..

Given the minimal price difference between an EP 2500 and EP1500, it's a no brainer to get the 2500...
      I went with two inch ports because of the length and the "port mach" modeled in WinISD. If I go larger it says I need some ridiculously long port (like 75"). Is this an error on my part?

The room is 17 x17 with 20 foot ceilings. It's open on two sides to the kitchen and dining room, respectively.

The box is 13x13x32. The size is limited due to WAF.

The Tempest-X won't fit into my size constraints. :cry: That's why I was wanting to go with a 12" woofer...maybe two if I could make it work with the ports and all, but that may be a bit complicated for me.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It's a big room. Can you put 2-12"s on the 32" side?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• james5
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
          It's a big room. Can you put 2-12"s on the 32" side?
          Yeah...I think I could swing that. Do you still recommend the Shiva? I was looking at the Eminence Lab12. It models pretty well in WinISD sealed with two drivers. Any thoughts on these drivers? Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

It's lower cost and 27mm Xmax makes the Shiva-X my choice.

With 2-12"s in a box this size you'll need to use a bunch of EQ to boost the low end.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"