X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OmegaSpeed
    • Mar 2005

Zaph ZRT 2-way vs. 2.5 sealed

I'd be curious to know what one could expect different, sonically, between the ZRT 2-way and 2.5 sealed version?

You don't see many sealed speakers but I have read positive comments about it if done right.

Also, are there downsides to the sealed version compared to the 2-way?

Thanks
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

The regular 2-way ported will go lower than the 2.5way sealed but have less power handling.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
      • Mar 2005

Thanks Jed. What would be the advantage of adding the second driver and using a sealed enclosure?

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by OmegaSpeed
        Thanks Jed. What would be the advantage of adding the second driver and using a sealed enclosure?
        Adding another woofer will help lower distortion, add more effeciency, help cancel standing waves inside the box, alter room floor bounce cancelations, etc. Generally better in all regards.

A 2.5way ported or sealed will both have these characteristics with the ported system playing lower, but may not integrate with a sub as well later on. I haven't modeled the ScanSpeaks in a sealed box so I'm not sure how satifying the bass would be but I'd imagine it would require a sub for much bass extention.

Jed

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jed
          A 2.5way ported or sealed will both have these characteristics with the ported system playing lower, but may not integrate with a sub as well later on.
          Hey Jed,

I followed everything you said except for the part about the 2.5 way not integrating with a sub as well. Can you explain that one? Thanks.

-Jon

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I could be wrong but I think he meant ported may not integrate with a sub as well as sealed, whether it's a 2-way or a 2.5-way.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"