X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    • Jul 2008

plan to build $150 sub for a small room

just getting into home theater, since budget is limited, not interested in visceral deep bass, usually enjoy listening to CDs but wife likes "theater setup".

Will be crossing over at about 100Hz with smallish Fonken DIY speaker.

Thinking about Triska from PE, also read about Table Tuba, any suggestions from the pros?, have moderate woodworking skills.

thanks in advance.

gychang
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

100Hz is a pretty high crossover point unless the sub is placed centered between the mains...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gychang
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
      100Hz is a pretty high crossover point unless the sub is placed centered between the mains...

I will be placing it in between the front speakers.

gychang

Comment

• djg
        • May 2008

I have built both of those projects. The table tuba is quite large and produces huge bass considering the 8" driver. You would probably want to dress it up as furniture. The MCM driver is on sale for 25 dollars right now. I built a wider two driver version. The designer also has two other smaller designs, since he sells his plans, I am not sure I should link here.

The triska is a very modest sub, easy to build. I built it for my computer sound. It might satisfy you if , as you say, you are not interested in lots of bass. You do need to add weight to the passive radiators, so you would need access to an accurate scale.
        Attached Files

Comment

• gychang
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by djg
          The MCM driver is on sale for 25 dollars right now. I built a wider two driver version. The designer also has two other smaller designs, since he sells his plans, I am not sure I should link here.
          Is this the speaker?

not on sale, shows up as $34...

what is the amp for the tuba version?

thanks,

gychang

Comment

• djg
            • May 2008

Yes, that's it. I got a sale flyer with the sale price. You might have to ask for it.

I use an old Kenwood stereo power amp to drive my tuba, amp is separate and not installed into the cabinet.

Google table tuba to get the designer's website, info you want is there.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

There's no problem posting a link to Bill Fitzmaurice website

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• djg
                • May 2008

Thanks for making that clear to me. Bill's site has info and a small forum for discussing his designs. You must purchase his designs.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                  • Jan 2006

FWIW,

If I were to build a sub for around 150.00 I wouldn't consider the triska. Because of the cost of the passives. You could get the larger versions of those subs and have better performance. I have a couple of the dvc 8" and 10" around they are pretty decent for the size/cost.
                  The price of the 8" and two passives is around 59.00 plus shipping. The 12" version of that sub is only 50.92 plus shipping.

Since someone brought up mcm have you looked at this 12" sub It was on sale a while ago for around 38.00.

and this amp
                  even not on sale you come in around 132.00 plus shipping.

Should be pretty good though I haven't heard it. The amp is a good buy but I'm not sure how it would tolerate the dayton drivers since it says "Absolute minimum speaker impedance: 4ohm " The daytons are quite a bit lower than that hovering around 3-3.2. The mcm 12" should come in around 3.9 ohms which I should be fine.
                  I know your aren't looking for room shaking bass but I think you would be happier long term if you went with a slightly bigger driver than a 8".

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"