X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stidrvr
    • Sep 2005

Question about Bi-Amping Impedance

This may be silly, but when a speaker is bi-amped. Is the impedance the same? For example, the amplifiers I would like to use for and upcoming project, the RS 3way, are not bridgable. I would like to bi-amp them instead. And I was wondering, if I bi-amp the mid/tweeter and the woofers would the amp still see impedance load, or is its the same when parrelling coils on subwoofers where the impedanced is halfed?
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

It still sees the same impedance. Of course the impedance of a speaker can vary quite a bit with frequency so an 8-ohm nominal rating doesn't tell you too much.

Comment

• stidrvr
      • Sep 2005

right I understand that, I see the RS 3 way came be anywhere from 10 to 5 ohm, I was just wondering if the nominal of a speaker is say 6 ohms, when the speaker is bi amp is it still 6ohm per "section"? I figured the crossover has some effect on this?

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Yeah, each section stays the same except the impedance of the woofer section will go way high above the crossover frequency (that's how the crossover cuts the highs) and the mid/tweet impedance will go way high below the XO.

Comment

• stidrvr
          • Sep 2005

Ahhh, ok I see. So really the impedance curve increases lowering power consumption, resulting in lower volume levels. So then really, the impedance curve per "section" is closely realted to the roll-off of the x-over then, correct?

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

This is a mid-tweet XO but the principle is the same.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"