X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HareBrained
    • Jul 2008

To Sub or not to Sub? That is the Q.

I've been over on Tech-Talk where a few people have been helping me with the xo design for a 3-way system. It uses a pair of RS100-4 and ND28FA-6 in a sealed MTM configuration with a DC106S-8 handling from about 350Hz and down. The DC160 is ported with an Fb of 38Hz. I'm learning a lot about the drivers, the tools and the craft of speaker design. It's been great.

Well, a thread on here got me thinking. I have a Dynaudio MW190 (just one) not doing anything (in fact, it's never done anything). A quick sim of the RS100 in a vented enclosure can result in an F3 of 56Hz.

So, is that a realistic expectation (56Hz) or would the in-room response be higher?
    What would be the highest response the MTM could produce and still be low enough for a single 12" sub?
    Should I ditch the DC160 or keep it and build the sub box too? (I think I know the answer to this one. :roll: )
    Any random thoughts? (Like use a 6.5" sealed that can play to 60Hz.)

The MW190 needs 2-4cf sealed. I'd probably go with 2. Any watt recommendations?

TIA - John
    John
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by HareBrained
    I've been over on Tech-Talk where a few people have been helping me with the xo design for a 3-way system. It uses a pair of RS100-4 and ND28FA-6 in a sealed MTM configuration with a DC106S-8 handling from about 350Hz and down. The DC160 is ported with an Fb of 38Hz. I'm learning a lot about the drivers, the tools and the craft of speaker design. It's been great.

Well, a thread on here got me thinking. I have a Dynaudio MW190 (just one) not doing anything (in fact, it's never done anything). A quick sim of the RS100 in a vented enclosure can result in an F3 of 56Hz.

So, is that a realistic expectation (56Hz) or would the in-room response be higher?
    What would be the highest response the MTM could produce and still be low enough for a single 12" sub?
    Should I ditch the DC160 or keep it and build the sub box too? (I think I know the answer to this one. :roll: )
    Any random thoughts? (Like use a 6.5" sealed that can play to 60Hz.)

The MW190 needs 2-4cf sealed. I'd probably go with 2. Any watt recommendations?

TIA - John
    Sub is the answer the more power the better :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pretty spiffy woofer (not a subwoofer given the limited Xmax)....

If you can get another to augment the output of the midwoofers that IMO would be a very good system. But if adding a second one costs more than buying a pair of RSS315's, then it's not worth it....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• HareBrained
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Pretty spiffy woofer (not a subwoofer given the limited Xmax)....
        {deleted links}
        If you can get another to augment the output of the midwoofers that IMO would be a very good system. But if adding a second one costs more than buying a pair of RSS315's, then it's not worth it....
        Yeah, that's the beastie. And yeah, it'd be about 3.5x the cost of the RSS to get another. Or to put it another way, I could get the RSS + amp + box + a 12-pack of Mirror Pond Pale Ale + a new CD for the cost of another driver alone. I use to have 2 but I sold one to a friend.

I wasn't going to add a sub to my set-up, relying on the DC160s for my small room.

Another option: I have a pair of BA Pro8.4 subs. F3 of ~45Hz in sealed enclosures (ported is not recommended). I think the ported DC160's may actually play lower and louder.
        John

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"