X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • messar
    • Jul 2008

time for some new HT speakers

Hi,

It's time for me to put together some new speakers for an HT system. I'd like to get some suggestions as to designs to look at.

Some details - unfortunately, the room is fairly small - about 10*15ft, and the couch sits right up against the 15ft wall. So, it'll be hard to get a lot of space.
    Center will go below the TV (32in LCD) on the TV stand.

For rear channels, I will re-use my current front speakers - they are a design I built off the internet years ago using a scanspeak tweeter, and eton mid. Still running strong.

For the front channels, I'm leaning towards the Zaph ZRT. The cost is within budget, and looks to be very good (I'm also impressed by the amount of detail provided in the design notes - very cool to share this level of info).

What about center channel? Zaph's ZDT3.5 is very compelling, but I'm open to other suggestions. My budget for the cc is 800-1000$ (although I'd be very happy to get it below that), so something using higher end drivers would be of interest, if there is an advantage to going that way.

For subs, (I'm thinking 2) my original though was to use the MAD 1259 from madisound, since the design for my existing speakers recommended pairing them with NHT1259s. Not sure if this is a good path to take now, or something else makes more sense.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

matt
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

The ZRT should be superb. Voice matching it may be tougher. Not many folks work with the Scan drivers around here probably due to the cost, and the availability of absolutely excellent products at lower prices (largely the Dayton RS lineup if you've not figured that out...)

You can't go wrong with Zaph's ZDT3.5. If you do this for a center (You'll be using the actual center design, right?) why not all 3 fronts?

If you have a little more room for mains, check out the Khanspires (there's a matching center designed to sit under a TV). They're well suited to smaller rooms and near (practically on) wall placement. They're tall, but not so deep (well, compared to the larger 3-ways I did)

If you've got the space behind/around for the open back, the Statement set is a similar size to the Khan with different design goals.

Jed's huge array of designs are probably worth a look as well, they fit a different package size-wise.

For subs, check out DIYCable - superb stuff. I'm just not sold on the MAD driver for its cost, under about any situation. The Dayton RS subs are also excellent, super low distortion numbers from them but less excursion.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Excellent advice! I can't add anything.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"