X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwgjr34
    • Jul 2008

built-in home theater advice

Hi,
    I've recently purchased a house with a built-in space for a home theater in the living room. I've included a picture of my TV in the space (which is very unfinished). For reference, the TV is the 70" Sony XBR2. I'm in the process of planning a complete rework of the space. The room is 25x30 with a 25' cathedral celling. These are the dimensions of the living room space, but it's actually open to a much larger space due to the house's open floor plan.
    My main question is about the wisdom of using the space below the TV for two sealed built-in subwoofers. Should I be concerned about the vibrations from the subwoofers being transfered to the TV?
    Also, I'd love to hear recommendations for for the room that utilizes the built-in space.

Thanks!
    Gary
    Attached Files
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

If you build the subs very sturdy you will not have vibration problems. The drawback is that it's very difficult to make a very stiff cabinet.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I agree. If you build the subs sturdy enough, you won't have a problem with the tv above. I would try an isolate the TV shelf from the subs to provide some added protection.

I'll ask the question several will want to know, what is behind the tv wall?

It looks like speaker placement will be your biggest issue.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Mount an IB sub in the ceiling above the entertainment center.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"