Buzzing outdoor speaker, any suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Buzzing outdoor speaker, any suggestions?

I don't venture out to the DIY section much, but I figure if anyone can come up with a fix for this, it's the experts here.

One of my Russound OB-6.1 outdoor speakers started buzzing. These speakers are about 2-3 years old (purchased fall '05). I pulled it apart and found two hairline cracks in the woofer's rubber surround. I put some silicone goop on the cracks to seal them, but the speaker still buzzes.

Here's a video I made to illustrate the problem. I ran a portable synthesizer through the speaker so I could send frequencies that brought out the buzz.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Any suggestions, short of replacing the driver or entire speaker?
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

Your problem is probably on the other side. The woofer either has a loose voice coil, or is suffering from tinsel slap. Maybe the dust-cap is loose as well... That does not sound a like rubber suspension problem.

Peter

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sorry dude but the driver is toast. What you hear is the voice coil banging away. It stops when you touch it because your finger pressure is aligning it in the gap...

Options are have it reconed or replaced.

Reconing is your best option because that doesn't require a new crossover to be designed.

Check you local yellow pages for a reconing service. If none are locally, there are numerous available online

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yikes thats painful.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

The voice coil isn't fully detached, because the speaker plays fine except at certain frequencies and only at higher volume levels. In the video I play several notes on the synth, and only when I get down below a certain frequency, when the buzzing starts. At first I thought something in the cabinet was loose because it sounded like something resonating at certain bass frequencies.

Judging from the way it reacts when I press on the surround, I'm thinking the VC is somehow out of alignment rather than detached. But who knows. We had some wild weather last week (torrential rain) and then this happens. Don't know if there's a connection but I guess anything's possible. Maybe moisture got inside and the VC swelled, or it affected the spider throwing the VC out of alignment?

In any case, it looks like I need a new driver. I sent Russound an email to see what they have to say.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

If the VC was detached there would be no noise.

Unless the speaker is designed for 'marine' use, they typically don't fair well outside even though they're sold for outside use.

I'm pretty sure you'll find a replacement driver to be $pendy, that's why I suggested a local reconing service. Having a driver reconed is usually 1/2 the cost of a replacement unit from the mfgr

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"