• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Reality check for a modified Neo concept

Question re the Neo:

Does anybody think it would be possible to build the Neo with an integrated bass bin?

I was day-dreaming about this and came up with a two compartment tower config using the 40 liter volume in the top section for the Neo, and possibly the TB W8Q-1071F http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-838s.pdf in the bottom bass chamber.

This would allow keeping the 9” baffle width and its associated foot print while integrating a bass driver in the same cabinet. Could this TB driver be made to cross over at anything above 150 Hz?

Adding bass bins or a sub with a 40-60 liter Neo is not going to pas the dreaded WAF, and she is already V patient me, my NatP 68 Liter towers and the rest of my current system that dominates our LR.

TIA, Guys
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I have dual RSS285 to be used in each bass bin for my NeoDcc mains.

Using side firing woofer/woofers and a 100Hz XO point the front baffle can be kept narrow.

Oval speakers represent a compromise because the shape of the cone and resistance of the suspension isn't symmetrical, so from the get-go they're inherently less linear/pistonic than a round speaker

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah I was going to say just go side mounted with a single or dual woofers/subwoofer. Are you thinking of new speakers Bill?

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
        ...Using side firing woofer/woofers and a 100Hz XO point the front baffle can be kept narrow.

Oval speakers represent a compromise because the shape of the cone and resistance of the suspension isn't symmetrical, so from the get-go they're inherently less linear/pistonic than a round speaker
        Thanks, Thomas!
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
          Yeah I was going to say just go side mounted with a single or dual woofers/subwoofer. Are you thinking of new speakers Bill?
          Well, my system has outgrown my NatP’s, and I am interested in something more resolving.

Problem is I don’t want to increase the foot print too much, my room is too small for much more. I also wanted to avoid a sub(s) for the same reason. But I want as close to a full range tower as possible.

My concern with side mounting a woofer or sub is that I will not have precise staging in the lower frequency range. And I would like to have the LF xo as high as possible to get the best lower-mid performance as possible from the NeoD’s. Also, I am planning to go with a curved side cabinet, side-mounting a woofer would be a nightmare.

Yeah, I know, I want to have my cake and eat it, too.

BTW, do you know what the NeoD LF roll-off is on a sealed version is?
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well if the Neo's will play down past 100hz no problem which I doubt they would have issue with you shouldn't have any issues crossing to a woofer in the bass bin at 100hz and I believe that that frequency bass is pretty non directional? I doubt you'd be disappointed anyways.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
              My concern with side mounting a woofer or sub is that I will not have precise staging in the lower frequency range. And I would like to have the LF xo as high as possible to get the best lower-mid performance as possible from the NeoD’s.
              This needs to be done with a outboard active crossover so you can experiment with different points. At 100Hz or lower there will be minimal issues with smearing of the sound stage.
              Also, I am planning to go with a curved side cabinet, side-mounting a woofer would be a nightmare.
              Since these cabinets are being made from scratch having a flat spot for woofer shouldn't be that big a deal. Just start the curve further back on the side with the woofers.
              BTW, do you know what the NeoD LF roll-off is on a sealed version is?
              Nope I'd need to run a sim.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Ah missed the part about the curved cabinet

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Nope I'd need to run a sim.
                  Can I run the sim using unibox or win freeware programs that I already have, or is a more sophisticated software required?
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Unibox will work great.

See post 6 to see Jon's sims using Unibox for the vented config:
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Per post 6, as you so kindly pointed out to me:

"To build a version more optimized for wide range music, I'd recommend a larger custom enclosure, with a net internal volume of 40 liters (gross volume around 46 liters).

Then, tuning to ~ 30 Hz, with a 3" ID port instead of 2", you can get extended bass response with a slight anechoic droop that should sound pretty flat in room with boundary lift..............

...........If you want to go sealed, and are crossing at 80 - 100 Hz, that should be doable to, but for running full range, consider this- sealed, the maximum output at 30 Hz per cabinet is about 90 dB; the 40 liter ported version can do about 102 dB at 30 Hz."

Thanks for your help, Ryan!

Some of the info (and there is a ton of it) is burried so deep I have a hard time finding it even when doing a 'search'.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah 40L isn't huge might be silly to go sealed :B Not sure if there would be a ton more low end then the Nat's though guessing thats why you want the bass bins.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"