X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprint_9
    • Jul 2007

Subwoofer software

Ive been looking for box software for close to an hour but I cant find the one I want, I found Unibox but there was another one that I used a while back and really liked but I cant remember the name of it, and I want to rebuild my sub with better wood and a better finish. If you know of any programs please post them up, Thanks
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

WinISD?? I think there are also a couple of others at the FRD Consortium.
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• sprint_9
      • Jul 2007

I think thats it, sounds really familiar

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

From our FAQ and Reference pages

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sprint_9
          • Jul 2007

Yea I saw that late last night, now Im thinking about going with a sono-sub instead of a box but then I dont know what I would do with my plate amp.

Ill try getting some answers in here instead of posting a new thread.

What do you guys think about a Dayton RSS315HF in a sealed or sono-tube configuration. Right now I have it in a slot ported 4.2 cu.ft box tuned to 19 hz with 250 w/rms and it sounds good, the problem being is its size, its pretty big. I do alot of music listening but on the occasional movie I like the deep extension without distortion that this setup gives me.

What are your thoughts, would this sub even work in a down firing configuration that would be used with a sonotube

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

You need to run the numbers for a down firing driver (there's a calculator on the PE website). IIRC the RSS390 isn't recommended for that orientation I don't know about the RSS315.

Regardless of what the calculator says, down-firing will shorten the lifespan of the driver as a function of the continual pull of gravity on the cone.

Most put their plate amps in a wooden box beside the tube. They can be built into the tube but doing so is a pain..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sprint_9
              • Jul 2007

Thank you for the input Thomas, I will probably just stick with a conventional box either ported again or sealed.

Comment

• jeff_free69
                • Dec 2007

[QUOTE=Regardless of what the calculator says, down-firing will shorten the lifespan of the driver as a function of the continual pull of gravity on the cone.
                [/QUOTE]

The oldwives tale /rule of thumb we had when I did some pro-audio was that when traveling or storing our 18" JBLs, downward facing was preferred. Because gravity is pulling it straight down, in a way that it normally travels anyway. When upright, it is streching the top half, however slightly, distorting the shape

Don't have any real proof either way, but I recently unearthed one after 15 years from my basement and have been using it without issue. On the other hand an even older EV 15" stored upright ( in a voice of the theatre cabinet no less!) also works fine . These speakers are obviosuly tougher than your typical hi-compliance hifi woofs . Still it seems to me downward would be better....so i wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"