X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_free69
    • Dec 2007

upgrade my Sub?

I finally finished my new HT mains (PE RS150 + RS28A in .25 curved box, using cjd's crossover), a fractured wrist slowed me down for a while, but now I'm looking at the sub next. Since a sleek 46" samsung LCD has replaced the huge 32" hunk of trinitron glass, that sub is now sticking out exposed, just daring me to replace it.

About 7+ years ago i bought a Madisound plate amp + NHT 12" sub, and put it in ~3 cuft sealed box. It was Ok, though not as fast and punchy as the old dual Dynaudio 12"s in 6 Cuft boxes, which died from surround rot, that it replaced.

The new cabinet may need a different shape and be slightly smaller to be hidden again . What's something better in 2.5 - 3 cuft ?
  • jkrutke
    • Dec 2005

It won't take long for someone to recommend a Dayton RSS315HF which will work well in a 2 cu ft sealed box. Generally clean and well worth the cost.
    Zaph|Audio

Comment

• jeff_free69
      • Dec 2007

...Looks like a good choice and on Special in PE AUGUST flyer for 119!!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

We really like the drivers from Exodus Audio around here. (I probably shouldn't say we, because I'm just repeating what ThomasW recommends.) They are extremely reasonably priced, have XBL2 technology for low distortion, and have big X-max.

3 cuft is small by our standards here. :P But Kevin of Exodus Audio has simulations of both his 12" Shiva-X and the 15" Tempest in a sealed 3 cuft box. Take a look at the application notes, and you'll see the simulated in-room response and natural response. Kevin also provides good commentary to the designs. Consider a bigger box though for these drivers.

BTW, if the box is sticking out too much, get the 4-pack and build an IB in the wall, floor or ceiling. :P
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• jeff_free69
          • Dec 2007

Thnaks - that looks promising .
          the shiva x 12 is available for 139 and i checked out the well written application notes. the ported designs response look very impressive.

but I'm a little concerned about the over 45 Hz neghborhood too i need to get to at least 80 to blend with my small mains. it seems to be down significantly there...

If size matters i can always whip out my 24 cu ft 18" JBLs - LOL
          They're not hifi, but they're L O U D! (actually its a folded horn from an old PA; the main chamber is about 6 cuft)

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

With an Le of only 0.9mH output to your 80Hx XO frequency won't be an issue

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"