X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Speculation wanted

I have been pondering about roundover bits for my OB project. I already own a 1.25" roundover bit. However, I have had my eye on this bit for a long while. I think the baffle would look seriously cool with such a profile.

I was wondering if anyone would have a guesstimation on how the different roundovers would affect things? Would it be enough to measure a difference? To hear a difference? Would the handrail bit cause a weird diffraction affect that would be harder to accomodate in the xo? Or would it be a push?

I will probably just buy it and try it, but was wondering if anyone wanted to speculate.

P.S. I have a 3HP Hitachi M12 and a router table, so no worries about using them. However, I do wonder if anyone has had experience, good or bad, with routing baltic birch?
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Wow thats huge...

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JoshK
      P.S. I have a 3HP Hitachi M12 and a router table, so no worries about using them. However, I do wonder if anyone has had experience, good or bad, with routing baltic birch?
      JonMarsh uses a similar bit with his M12. And last time anyone checked he still had all his fingers and toes..

The issue problem routing any plywood is the grain of the laminations being a 90 degrees to each other, so tear out can be a problem. And I think this problem would be exacerbated using such a huge round over.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• benchtester
        • Sep 2007

Big Bits

BTW: Ebay is very cost effective place to buy carbide bits. :P

Comment

• A9X
          • Jan 2007

I'd like one. I didn't see a price on the page linked; what are they worth?

Comment

• EdL
            • Apr 2005

Josh,

My limited experience is from EDGE.

I ran simulations for a speaker that I have built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2679274911_aef43eb7a8.jpg?v=0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	939589

I compared the edge diffraction for a 9" wide cabinet with a 3/4" radius with that of a 10" cabinet with the 1 1/4" radius. The slope and magnitude of baffle step were ~equivalent for both conditions. The greatest difference was in the ripple within the baffle step area. The larger radius edge had ripple with fewer cycles and less amplitude.

I think the table top edge will provide a softer "launch zone" from which diffraction will occur.

On a side note, there is a shop close by with a shaper and 2" radius roundover cutter. Also, I picked up a pair of B&C 250's from PE's tent sale. :T
            Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:02 Friday. Reason: Update image location
            Ed

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

Wow, those are beauts Ed! You really are a whiz woodworker.

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                The issue problem routing any plywood is the grain of the laminations being a 90 degrees to each other, so tear out can be a problem. And I think this problem would be exacerbated using such a huge round over.
                Yeah, I think I'll probably have to laminate some MDF to the BB, leaving the BB only for the core. Hopefully that will defray tendency to tear out.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

I have a 1" and a 1.5" roundover bits. I've been stupid and used them with a hand held (and modified base) router, but luckily I still have all my fingers.

I've had problems with tear-out on BB ply. But, I also have problems with small diameter roundovers, so I think some of it is my technique.

According to the few sims I've done with BDS, bigger is always better. I can't comment on the difference in profiles. I think that is a small difference. JonW did several simulations and actual build tests with different roundovers and chamfers. He found chamfers were better than roundovers, and I believe chamfers with softened edges even better. Search for his thread - I think you'll enjoy it.
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Paul W
                    • Oct 2004

My speculation is the change will be very slight but with the large radius nearer the drivers followed by the tighter radius 'round the bend, diffraction ripple will be reduced over a simple roundover. Enough to measure? With careful on and off-axis slices, quite possibly. Enough to hear? Sorta doubt it.

My experience with the large router bits is to work up from smaller sizes and then, with the largest bit, remove only a small amount of material in each of several passes. Takes a little more time, but much lower stress level.
                    Paul

Comment

• Eton
                      • Jun 2006

This is the profile you get using bit that size.

Name:	1p.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	850968

Name:	2p.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	850969
                      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:03 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonW
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                        JonW did several simulations and actual build tests with different roundovers and chamfers.
                        Here's the link:

It starts around post Firmware news... and goes on for quite a while. :-)

Given that it's real testing of different cabinet configurations, rather than just simulations, I've wondered if it would be worth writing up a small paper on it for a speaker building magazine or something. But I don't think that such things still exist (in the US). But it could be info that would be helpful to others. Or, like most of my work, it could just be misleading.
                        Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:03 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

AudioXpress would probably print it in a heartbeat. I subscribed for a year, but it seemed to be too focused on electronics. The few speaker articles they did publish were entry level and not new info. I think it would be good.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                            AudioXpress would probably print it in a heartbeat. I subscribed for a year, but it seemed to be too focused on electronics. The few speaker articles they did publish were entry level and not new info. I think it would be good.
                            Thanks Ryan. I didn't know AudioXpress was still published. I wonder about that Journal of the Audio Engineering Society or whatever it's called. That sounds more serious. I could put it on my resume and count it in my job publications. I'd imagine the contents in there are much more serious than a simple diffraction study. But I've not thumbed through it to know. Papers in there are mentioned on this board now and then.

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

I'd imagine the contents in there are much more serious than a simple diffraction study.
                              Yup. Lots of theory and higher math required (brush up on your LaPlace transforms). Kinda like a redneck who built a still in his backyard trying to publish his findings in JACS.

Comment

• JonW
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                Yup. Lots of theory and higher math required (brush up on your LaPlace transforms).
                                Sounds like it would be interesting to thumb through a few issues. The one we're referring to is called the "Journal of the Audio Engineering Society," correct? Looks like my library here has it. :B

Kinda like a redneck who built a still in his backyard trying to publish his findings in JACS.
                                Hey, I do that all the time. :P

Comment

• Dennis H
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2002

Yeah, that's the one. It's cool that you have free access! :T You can even look up the papers by our own JonMarsh (Jon Hancock). Just don't let Evil Twin catch you reading that subversive trash.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Here's Jon's first article, I'm not sure it's going to be very helpful to people building DIY speakers....
                                    Design techniques are presented for a 0.5-Mhz class D amplifier using specially processed MOSFETs with ultrafast intrinsic diode recovery characteristics. Design problems and solutions are presented for the power, filter, and modulator stages. Problems and results are discussed using error correction by loop feedback from the output filter and supply feedforward to the modulator stage. An overview is included of power supply issues, including a lightweight power-factor-corrected quasi-resonant...

Originally posted by JonW
                                    Sounds like it would be interesting to thumb through a few issues. The one we're referring to is called the "Journal of the Audio Engineering Society," correct? Looks like my library here has it.
                                    The JAES loudspeaker articles are published as separate volumes, I think there are 4 volumes currently available.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• NEO Dan
                                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Eton
                                      This is the profile you get using bit that size.
                                      the V-groove on the glue line is a nice touch

I also use the 1.25" and 1.5" bits:

The 1.5" is about as big as you can go in the porter cable:

Name:	DSCN2966.webp
Views:	43
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	939590

1.25" on the right:

Name:	DSCN3055.webp
Views:	45
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	939591

I'd definitely recommend a large baseplate for the router, say 12" x 12".
                                      Last edited by theSven; 09 June 2023, 21:04 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                      Regards
                                      Dan

Comment

• JonW
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Yeah, that's the one. It's cool that you have free access! :T You can even look up the papers by our own JonMarsh (Jon Hancock). Just don't let Evil Twin catch you reading that subversive trash.
                                        Originally posted by ThomasW
                                        Here's Jon's first article, I'm not sure it's going to be very helpful to people building DIY speakers....
                                        Design techniques are presented for a 0.5-Mhz class D amplifier using specially processed MOSFETs with ultrafast intrinsic diode recovery characteristics. Design problems and solutions are presented for the power, filter, and modulator stages. Problems and results are discussed using error correction by loop feedback from the output filter and supply feedforward to the modulator stage. An overview is included of power supply issues, including a lightweight power-factor-corrected quasi-resonant...

The JAES loudspeaker articles are published as separate volumes, I think there are 4 volumes currently available.

Cool. Thanks guys. It'll probably be a while before I find the time to amble over to that library. But it promises to be intersting.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"