X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

My first Design

Well I've built the Maxx's and just recently sold them and have been thinking of making my first design. Jed and I are working on a new design but the cabinets I'm going to build for those are going to take some time to complete so in the mean time I need something to listen to and I've been wanting to get my feet wet. These will use the PE cabinets more then likely the .75 Cu ft curved sided cabinets.

Right now I'm looking for some input on the drivers that I've been thinking of. I'm currently thinking either the new Tangband W6-1721

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-874

Click image for larger version

Name:	264-874_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	945341

Or possibly the Peerless Exclusive 830883

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=1604

Name:	264-1094_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	945340

As for the tweeter more then likelying I'll be using the new double magnet XT25.

I've plotted out the W6 and come up with this which I think looks rather good.

Name:	TangBandW6-1721.gif
Views:	10
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	945338

The Peerless this is about what I can come up with.

Name:	Peerless830883.gif
Views:	9
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	945339

The driver SPL just slightly passes the xmax line but I think in real life that probably won't be an issue.

Edit: PS this would more then likely be a TM design. Not sure I want to add the extra expense of an MTM but it could be possible depending on some factors. I'm looking to get a design between 500-600 dollar retail not sure I can get 4 of either of these drivers to fit into this price point.
    Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 13:25 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Those are nice midwoofers. Should be an interesting project.. :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

I never noticed it before but that TB weighs 11.75 lb! That's over twice the weight of two shielded RS180s. :E

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah its a beastly 6.5" :B I'm kind of leaning towards the TB mostly because its new and unused so far. Also because of its awesomeness!

Comment

• Bastek
          • Apr 2008

What's the difference from the standard XT25 to double magnet XT25? (except the price, and having 2 magnets of course).

Comment

• augerpro
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2006

Who gave Dougie the speaker building crackpipe? Was it you Jed? :

Sounds like a fun first project Dougie. The XT25 should be very easy to work with.

What's this other project you talked about? Is it Jed's new speaker?
            ~Brandon 8O
            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
            DriverVault
            Soma Sonus

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well apparently not much has changed as far as FR and what not but the previous XT25 is no longer being carried at Madisound I believe and this is just the newer version. I think its supposed to have lower distortion and what not but I'm not sure if the difference would be noticeable.

Here is where Jed did some testing on his site.

Image not available

As you can see this compares the D26, the original XT25 and the newer double magnet XT25.
              Last edited by theSven; 15 July 2023, 13:26 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Madisound still carries the "old" version with the single magnet. The benefits of the double magnet XT25s are an increase in efficiency, looks slightly better down low below 2k, and inherent shielding with 2 magnets. I bought 2 boxes of them.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by augerpro

What's this other project you talked about? Is it Jed's new speaker?
                  Well since the word is out, I'm working on an MTMWWWW main with TB W4 1337, XT25 double magnet, and Hivi D6.8s, a WWMMTWW CC with the same drivers, and a TMWMT surround.

Dougie is going about it with the same drivers but a curved cabinet version.

I'm not going to discuss this in Dougie's thread though so send me a PM if you want more info.

Jed

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Curved and probably a bit deeper but still same speaker. You had mentioned it before Jed so I didn't know it was a secret ops:

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                      Curved and probably a bit deeper but still same speaker. You had mentioned it before Jed so I didn't know it was a secret ops:

Nah, there's no secret on this board! Ya'all are family. Besides its all in my blog anyhow.

Comment

• Silversmoky
                        • Nov 2007

I like the choice of drivers. That tang band midwoofer is a beast. Have been trying to get setup more lately to attempt my first project as well. I'll be watching this close to see what I can learn.

Jed - Sounds like a very cool design. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Yeah if I could get my measurement equipment to work properly I might order some drivers :B

Comment

• Silversmoky
                            • Nov 2007

Yeah if I could get my measurement equipment to work properly I might order some drivers :B
                            Yeah not really looking forward to trying to get that first set of measurements to come out correctly.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Silversmoky
                              Yeah not really looking forward to trying to get that first set of measurements to come out correctly.
                              As long as this is expected you should be fine. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I just can't seem to get it to work properly....starting to wonder if something is wrong with a piece of hardware or something idk......

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Jed
                                  Nah, there's no secret on this board! Ya'all are family. Besides its all in my blog anyhow.
                                  Jed,

In the South it's either y'all or all y'all! I think up there it's yous alls or something like that, right? Ya'all ain't a word!

Doug, this sounds like an interesting project. Has anyone gotten ahold of these drivers yet to do any testing?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Umm Don't think so? I don't think Jed ended up ordering one of the W6's because we had talked about it and decided to use something else for the towers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Well I think there may be something wrong with the Mic I have (friends) or the cord thats connected to it. It's a 1/4" to XLR cable and its really long so not sure. I was trying to just get sound through it and I can't seem to do it.... so not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it just isn't working.

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Brian Bunge

Ya'all ain't a word!

Does Yazalls count? :B

Comment

• Ray Collins
                                          • Mar 2006

Jed,
                                          Not even close...try a pinch of grits between cheek and gum...that should do it!! :W

Ray
                                          Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
                                          BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• HareBrained
                                            • Jul 2008

I noticed that the TB is 4 ohms while the Peerless is 8 ohms. It may matter to your amp and it may sway your decision if you're going MTM. Otherwise, it's going to sound sweet.
                                            John

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

I could care less as long as nominal is close to 4ohms. This project may be pushed back a little bit though. Starting to think about just going with the regular cabinet for the new Maxx Ultima's and adding up the cost of what I would need for these TM's its becoming a large chunk of the Ultima's. I do want to do my own design and chances are this speaker is it. It just depends on money mostly and when I have it so we'll see. I also have to get this measuring equipment to work still.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2006

Thomas I'm just wondering here, I have the USB Mobile Pre and was wondering when taking recordings should the gain be set all the way up? Or in the middle?

Comment

• Jed
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2005

Thomas I'm just wondering here, I have the USB Mobile Pre and was wondering when taking recordings should the gain be set all the way up? Or in the middle?
                                                  Check the meters so there is no clipping. Adjust the gain accordingly.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

They never clip I can turn them all the way up and they still don't clip. I run the tests at like -20dB as well because -3 is still quite loud. Actually the ones I ran today were -15.

Comment

• 88ws6dave
                                                      • Mar 2008

I'm interested in following this thread closely as this is exactly what I have been looking for in a diy speaker. Polk Audio looks with some base for a large room. Patiently awaiting further details. Thanks signed Dave S.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"