• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

What does it take to design a class A amplifier

I would like to build a Class A amplifier that provides 500W power at 8 ohm
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

biiiiiiig heatsinks for one
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

500watt Class A? I would say thats darn near impossible. I mean you can create that kind of Class A power sure but to cool it is going to take something huge and when I say huge I mean HUGE! An Aleph60 requires heatsinks that normally a Class A/B 7 Channel amp would use. So 500 watts is going to be something like the 2 heatsinks the size of a small fridge or maybe even bigger (LxW wise) for just one channel.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I already talked about big heatsinks... :P

Class A/B is the only sensible way to get to 500W. What do you want that much pure class A for?
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well if its a sub its pointless thats for sure

Comment

• Gir
            • Dec 2006

Anyone remember those 195,000W amps from NASA I posted? Full class A, cooled with ionized water.

Seriously, though, A/B's the way to go.
            -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by cjd
              I already talked about big heatsinks... :P Class A/B is the only sensible way to get to 500W. What do you want that much pure class A for?
              Drive 802D
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

You will need two 20A lines from the breaker box, one for each amp, with nothing else on it.

An extra air conditioner for the room they are in.

Heatsinks sized like tanks.

A transformer that would give five people lifting it a hernia.

Seriously, class AB is your friend.

Comment

• TacoD
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2004

What about class-D? You can use water cooling, will safe you an air conditioning/ impossible heat sinks.

Even the big Pass Labs X600 amplifiers are not completely class A.

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

biamping is your friend too. A/B on woofer, class A on mid/tweet.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I would look for a class A/B design that runs in Class A for most of its power band because thats where most of your listening is. Honestly depending on what amp you have now if it performs a lot in Class A then you may not notice much of a difference going to a full Class A amp.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        I would look for a class A/B design that runs in Class A for most of its power band because that's where most of your listening is. Honestly depending on what amp you have now if it performs a lot in Class A then you may not notice much of a difference going to a full Class A amp.
                        Classé CA-5200 I know it is design like a classe A/B an ideas about how many watts in class A

Comment

• Saurav
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Bias adjusts itself depending on the demands, such that about 30% of the output is always in Class A
                          So that would be about 60W.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I doubt you really ever get more then 60watts rms under normal listening conditions. You might hit higher then that on peaks but even thats pushing it.

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

Seems like I recall JonMarsh saying more A in an AB design isn't necessarily better. There's an optimum amount and more or less than that will give you more distortion.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Well it depends on the design. But usually a Class A/B is designed to where Class A goes until it starts getting to much distortion and then it switches to B. Being that he's running a Classe I would take a guess that its designed properly.

Comment

• A9X
                                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by TacoD
                                  What about class-D? You can use water cooling, will safe you an air conditioning/ impossible heat sinks.

Even the big Pass Labs X600 amplifiers are not completely class A.
                                  You won't need water cooling for 500W class D amps, even a modest non fan assisted heastsink will do. Some of my earlier experiments with larger Pass amps used water cooling, but I found high efficiency speakers to be more worth the effort and at LF, for subs, the class of the amplifier won't be audible. That's the only place I'll need all that much power.

Re the Pass, thought some might find this interesting.

Comment

• TacoD
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by A9X
                                    You won't need water cooling for 500W class D amps, even a modest non fan assisted heastsink will do. Some of my earlier experiments with larger Pass amps used water cooling, but I found high efficiency speakers to be more worth the effort and at LF, for subs, the class of the amplifier won't be audible. That's the only place I'll need all that much power.

Re the Pass, thought some might find this interesting.
                                    http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/leaving_class_a.pdf
                                    The water cooling part was for the class A amplifiers.

I also tried different configurations and found out that speakers are imho the biggest factor for the sound experience.

Comment

• A9X
                                      • Jan 2007

The water cooling part was for the class A amplifiers.
                                      Sorry, I misunderstood.
                                      I also tried different configurations and found out that speakers are imho the biggest factor for the sound experience.
                                      I agree. Amps are far, far less of a sonic issue.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Well I wouldn't say far far less. I mean I can easily here the difference in amps with my speakers but they are extremely revealing speakers. So yes the speakers will make the biggest difference up to a point.

Comment

• A9X
                                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                          Well I wouldn't say far far less. I mean I can easily here the difference in amps with my speakers but they are extremely revealing speakers. So yes the speakers will make the biggest difference up to a point.
                                          You're entitled to your opinion and experience of course, but mine does not agree with it. I've built a lot of amps, some my own design, some other peoples and within reason (not clipping, low THD and output Z), the differences are small. Almost no one has picked out changes made blind, and never anyone consistently. I've built a few speakers too, from modified Tannoys, and Khorns to full range front loaded horns and LABsubs.

PS: I meant speaker + room, not just speakers.

Comment

• chrismercurio
                                            • May 2007

So....why build it?

Buy an old Krell FPB600. 600w into 8 ohms, stable into a dead short (almost), and the power doubles everytime the impedance is halved. I sold these in the 90's and they sound pretty good.

Latest and largest in Krell's current range of power amplifiers, the 600Wpc, $12,500 Full Power Balanced 600 joins the 300Wpc FPB 300 ($9000) and the 200Wpc (originally 150Wpc) FPB 200 ($5900). All are single-box stereo chassis and are specified as "Full Power Balanced"—I think to distinguish the essence of these designs from ordinary stereo amplifiers operated in balanced-bridged mode, usually with impaired performance. The FPB 600's speaker output is balanced; ie, neither "positive" or negative" terminals are connected to ground or the amplifier chassis.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

Well I wasn't the only one that could pick out differences. Of course we were comparing to a Rotel amp and I'm not a real Rotel fan

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                • Jul 2007

I'm not an EE, but I have built some class A SETs and a class A/B push-pull amp. All tube of course.

My understanding of A/B isn't that it "switches" from one to the other, but that in a class B amp, an output produces half of the signal wave and a complementary output produces the other half (hence the name push-pull). Joining the two outputs together can introduce distortion so each output is setup to produce a little bit of it's other half. This is technically class A operation. How much of the other half being output determines how much of the amp is operating at class A. So it's never really true class A or true class B, but something in between.
                                                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• A9X
                                                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                  I'm not an EE, but I have built some class A SETs and a class A/B push-pull amp. All tube of course.

My understanding of A/B isn't that it "switches" from one to the other, but that in a class B amp, an output produces half of the signal wave and a complementary output produces the other half (hence the name push-pull). Joining the two outputs together can introduce distortion so each output is setup to produce a little bit of it's other half. This is technically class A operation. How much of the other half being output determines how much of the amp is operating at class A. So it's never really true class A or true class B, but something in between.
                                                  Did you read Nelson Pass' paper I linked a few posts ago?

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by A9X
                                                    Did you read Nelson Pass' paper I linked a few posts ago?
                                                    No where is the link?

Comment

• Saurav
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

In post #17.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Saurav
                                                        In post #17.
                                                        link!

Comment

• Saurav
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2004

LOL. All you had to do is scroll up to find post 17

But I will copy and paste the link for you:

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"