X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawaro
    • Feb 2005

MTM Power Distribution Question

OK lets say you have a MTM like the Modula or the Dr. K how is the power distributed to the speakers? Do each speaker receive equal power? I have a MTM design that I would like to use an amplifier from a Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system. Each channel is selectable as to LF, LR, RF,RR, or Sub. If you want you can switch all 5 channels to the sub. The factory x-over point is a 2-way 80hz but I am working with someone on modifying the points to 200hz. What I would like to do is use these to power a MTMWW tower. The problem is the MTM section is a (kit offered by a company we don't discuss on this forum). The pair of midwoofers are on a single x-over and the Neo3 on its own. Will powering the pair of midwoofer with the same amount of power as the Neo3 make the Neo3 over powering? Would I be better of redesign the x-over to have two separate x-overs for each mid or will it be fine this way? The lowend is expected to be RS180's at this point. They will be covered by the electronic low pass so it is not a concern.
    Any opinions?
    EDIT by moderator to conform with forum New Rules #2..

Sorry Thomas...
    Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 00:31 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
    Will powering the pair of midwoofer with the same amount of power as the Neo3 make the Neo3 over powering?
    No, each driver will use what power is required (no more, no less) to provide the required SPL demanded by the source material. Typically a tweeter will require much less power than a woofer, as less energy is contained in the source material at those frequencies.

Below is the chart usually posted for typical power distribution by frequency, but keep in mind it can vary significantly with the choice of musical genre.

C

X-over Frequency (Hz) Power to Bass (%) Power to Mid+High (%)
    250Hz 40% 60%
    350 50 50
    500 60 40
    1,200 65 35
    3,000 85 15
    5,000 90 10
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• dawaro
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by dawaro

EDIT by moderator to conform with forum New Rules #2..

Sorry Thomas...

Sorry Thomas
      Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 00:34 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
      I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"