X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Another random idea: Cabinet building idea

So about halfway through tiling my 19'x28' floor with granite tile, I had an idea. Why not line the inside of an MDF box with granite tile or other hard tile with thinset? Would make the box pretty damn rigid.

Yeah I know you'd need to account for the lost volume, but you could use thinner MDF too. Speakers would otherwise look normal on the outside, painted or veneered as you normally would. The baffle might be a PITA given the driver cutouts, but you could either skip the baffle or deal with it (pieces might work out).

I got my 1/4" granite tiles at Home Depot for $2 sqft. Wouldn't take many sqft.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cover the outside. It would look cool and accomplish the same effect.

Somewhere there's a picture of a sub someone veneered with black mica flecked granite tile it looks amazing.

EDIT....

Here's the pic...there's speculation it's granite look Formica given the corners...

Click image for larger version

Name:	GraniteSubwoofer.webp
Views:	27
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	943890
    Last edited by theSven; 03 July 2023, 22:47 Monday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

I was thinking for a practical point of view, the seams and esp corners might be hard to make them look nice, but could be done by overlapping some sides. Anyway, if you did the insides, nothing else would change. Either or, pick your poison.

Comment

• JoshK
        • Mar 2005

P.S. I have a wet tile saw. It will cut at 45º by tilting the table. It is possible the person who did that sub cut the sides of the tiles at 45º so that it didn't show edges on the corners.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"