X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Laminating plywood to MDF.....

What is my best option, regular old wood glue or something like green glue? Anyone out there tried this green glue stuff?

Thanks

Greg
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I'd say scuff up the MDF with some sand paper and use wood glue. Should work fine.

Comment

• gbegland
      • Apr 2005

Thanks Dougie

I've done the wood glue route before and it's fine, but I am curious if some other adhesives might offer a type of sonic benefit as well as hold the layers together. Any other thoughts guys?

Greg

Comment

• JJones
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by gbegland
        I've done the wood glue route before and it's fine, but I am curious if some other adhesives might offer a type of sonic benefit as well as hold the layers together. Any other thoughts guys?

Greg
        Yes.

It would be something that's not bouncy and springy like silicone rubber, and something that doesn't dry hard like wood glue.

Constrained layer damping offers good benefit to speaker enclosure walls. One type is this semi-viscous loaded double sided self adhesive vinyl sheet that comes in rolls. To use that, what you do is coat the insides of both the sheets of wood with contact cement, let it dry, then carefully cover one glued board with sheets of the damping material, then, press the other sheet (glue side down, of course) onto that. The contact cement forms a surface that the adhesive strips can really stick to firmly.

Comment

• Ray Collins
          • Mar 2006

JJones,
          Can you provide a brand name or source for this particular type of vinyl?

Ray
          Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
          BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

In an ancient thread, and almost by accident, Thomas found that plain old rubber contact cement gave a deader panel than wood glue.

Comment

• Ray Collins
              • Mar 2006

Do you think it is preferable to a thin layer of silicon sealant?
              BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• JJones
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Ray Collins
                JJones,
                Can you provide a brand name or source for this particular type of vinyl?

Ray
                I was trying to find some info online, haven't yet. I've got a roll of the stuff, but it's not labeled. On the outside is a plastic coated white release paper and on the inside is thin a translucent plastic release sheet. The material itself seems something like a cross half-way between vinyl and tar/bitumen and it's maybe a little over 1 mm thick (about 1/16th inch, perhaps).

I'll keep looking to see if I can find a source...
                Originally posted by Ray Collins
                Do you think it [rubber cement] is preferable to a thin layer of silicon sealant?
                I would think so. Silicon rubber has generally been a fairly poor material for acoustic isolation in any applications that I've tried it. It seems to be too "bouncy" to "absorb" (convert to heat through internal friction) significant sound energy. Though, I guess it is decent at isolating shock from impact, such as bushings for HD shock mounts...

EDIT: Something like this: http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=14791 is good for damping, though, not the same as the material I mentioned earlier (for one thing, it's not sticky on both sides). I would also suggest digging around to find a cheaper price, that price looks REALLY high to me.
                Last edited by JJones; 10 July 2008, 13:00 Thursday.

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

Here's the Parts Express vinyl-based product:

I've been wanting to do a constrained layer thing with it between either two sheets of MDF or MDF/Baltic Birch plywood. One side is coated with a very strong pressure sensitive adhesive, so you'd only have to do apply contact cement to one side.
                  I'm intrigued by the rubber cement idea.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by gbegland
                    What is my best option, regular old wood glue or something like green glue? Anyone out there tried this green glue stuff?
                    Haven't tried green glue only used Titebond and as Dennis noted Contact Cement.

In instances of larger laminated panels they all dried with a slight bow. The only time I successfully eliminated the bow was when there was a plywood core and MDF was laminated to both sides of that core.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
                      • Apr 2006

I second/third/whatever the recommendation for plain old contact cement if you are going to do a lamination.

I've seen birch plywood bend noticeably when applying polyurethane to 16" x 8' long panels meant for shelving, so I would trust Thomas's experience with the sandwich technique.

Comment

• Ray Collins
                        • Mar 2006

Thomas,
                        Were the results worth the effort?

Ray
                        BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"