Help needed in building a Sonotube style sub.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slayer
    • Dec 2005

Help needed in building a Sonotube style sub.

I had built a sub a couple years ago and am still enjoying it very much. There used to be pics on the site but they are no longer there. Enclosure is 3 Cu Ft. sealed. Problem is the size and I need to lessen the footprint so I want to change over to a tube enclosure and just have it taller. I want to keep it sealed at 3 Cu Ft of airspace. It is a 15 in driver. Diamond Audio TDX.
    No sure where to start on this one as I have been building square/rectangle enclosures only. If anyone could help with a parts rundown and design/build process, it would be a huge help. Thanks
    Parasound Halo C2
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
    Oppo BDP103
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
    Xbox One
    Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
    Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
    BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
    Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
    Energy Veritas 2.0i center
    CAT Tiburon series side surround
    Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

I don't have the dimensions at hand, but on my crude website you can see photos of the sonosub enclosure with attached plate amp enclosure. I built it for my 15" Tempest driver. I built it a few years ago and it still sounds good.
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Tip: I routed a groove into the MDF top and bottom, such that the sonotube would fit in the groove. Centered on the inside-facing sides of the top and bottom MDF circles, I glued MDF circles with an OD the same as the sonotube's ID. I glued the tube in the grooves, reinforcing with brads nailed through the tube into the MDF inside the sonotube.
    I wrapped the tube in unbacked carpet (sold by PE for wrapping DIY pro sound speaker and gear cabinets). I primed and then sprayed the MDF with faux stone texture paint from the Home Depot.

Hope that helps a tad.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pat Sun has a website with a bizillion pics of sonotube sub building

I have a couple links on my website to specialized aspects of tube sub building.

Collo has a tube sub designer program
      Free speaker design software allows easy selection of tube and port size to attain desired tuning frequency

Here's a handy calculator for determining the volume of a cylinder
      Our volume of a cylinder calculator takes height and radius to instantly calculate your cylinder's volume.

Although ported this thread has lots of construction pics
      https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22491
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 19:09 Thursday. Reason: Update urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bill Schneider
        • Sep 2007

I built a pair of round 10" subs for my Linkwitz Plutos using PVC pipe. You could easily substitute stout sonotube for my PVC.

If you do a search for the Orion/Pluto User Group, then search that forum for the thread called "Round PLUTO+ Fabrication", I've posted a build log with detailed plans and photos.

Most builders glue the top and bottom plates to the tube, but I went with a different method using all-thread rods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p+_rod_tight_sml.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	948349

One more thing... I used 10" drivers. If you're using 15" drivers, you'd want to double up on the thickness of the MDF driver mount.
        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 19:00 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
        My audio projects:
        http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"