X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Budget sub for my dad!

Dad finally asked me to build him a sub. Been searching around but I don't know what's considered the best thing going on right now. Budget is under $500 for everything.

Been looking at the BASH amps but also some Nady/Behringer pro audio stuff. Not sure what's the best deal in this catagory! I've used the Dayton Reference subs before and like the way they sound but don't know if they're the best thing out there for home theater stuff right now. Enlighten me!

Thanks,
    Nathan
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Try a Tempest-X for $188:

and a Oaudio 500W Plate Amp for $245:

Kevin has some great application notes that will give you several box designs that should work pretty well. I think you're dad would be happy.

A pro amp provides better watts/$$, but since it is for your father, I would go for the simplicity of a plate amp. The PE drivers are also very good. But, in terms of air moved per $$, the Tempest is the current champ.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Nathan P
      • Mar 2006

What about the Shiva-X on there? It's on sale right now

What size enclosure does the Tempest-X need? Dad's still married and wants to keep it that way

Comment

• NEO Dan
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nathan P
        Dad's still married and wants to keep it that way
        That's why he asked you for a sub, It's your turn to take one for the team.

Maelstrom-X and an EP2500 for $623, reasonably priced as compared to the commercial equivalent.

eD's got d4 12' drivers @ $50 each currently
        Regards
        Dan

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

What about the Shiva-X on there? It's on sale right now

What size enclosure does the Tempest-X need? Dad's still married and wants to keep it that way

The Shiva-X is a great driver also. You said $500, so I was going to spend all of it.

The Shiva is a 12" vs. the 15" Tempest. The Shiva will probably have enough output for most reasonable people, but the big bass heads around here will suggest the Tempest except for the most space or budget limited. The cost difference is so small versus almost 2x the output.

You can find recommended boxes for both the Shiva and Tempest in the PDF called Application Notes:
          Shiva-X
          diycable.com - Contact us for any business inquiries

Tempest:
          diycable.com - Contact us for any business inquiries

Probably best for you to read those and tell us which size best suites your dad's requirements. We can help you modify if needed.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Nathan P
            • Mar 2006

The Tempest is definitely going to be too big for him. Which ported alignment would your recommend for the Shiva-X?

Nathan

Comment

• Nathan P
              • Mar 2006

So can anyone help me talk my dad out of an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus? For what it is, it looks pretty good to me and all reviews seem to like it, but I KNOW I can do better :twisted:

In looking at the Shiva specs, it looks as if the 3.5 cu ft box with the 4" precision port does really well down to around 25 hz or so.

Is there anywhere I can buy a prebuilt 3.5 cu ft box? Dad's worried that with me working full time I'm not gonna get it done fast enough and pretty much he doesn't want to worry about having to build it...

Nathan

Help! I want to build it :W

Comment

• Scottg
                • Nov 2006

Consider an in-wall infinite baffle, preferably corner loaded (..i.e. built into the wall in a rooms corner).

Two of them, wired in parallel.

Then power with this:

(..tucked away in a closet with modest ventilation.)

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Is there anywhere I can buy a prebuilt 3.5 cu ft box? Dad's worried that with me working full time I'm not gonna get it done fast enough and pretty much he doesn't want to worry about having to build it...

Nathan

Help! I want to build it :W
                  Parts Express has a prefinished 3.0cu ft box. Click on their banner ad at the top of this page and paste 302-820 in a part number search

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
                    • Mar 2006

Would it be best ported or sealed at 3 cu and how would it compare output/SQ wise to that Outlaw? The smallest ported design in the pdf on the site is 3.5 cu ft.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"