X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

How does OB effect efficiency?

In general, but more specifically in the midrange.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • Kevin Haskins
    • Jan 2005

In the midrange, not at all. It is at low frequencies, where you start to get significant cancellation that the efficiency plummets.

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

Interesting. I figured the backwave would act like a second driver and add 3db. Can anyone explain why this is not the case?
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Saurav
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Because it's out of phase, so it cancels the front wave, it doesn't add to it. This effect is more prominent as you go down in frequency, as the wavelengths in question become longer than (and thus, wrap around) the baffle width.

At least, that's my rough understanding. I would suggest spending some time at the following sites:

musicanddesign.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, musicanddesign.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Design and consultation in electro-acoustics. Fundamental concepts of sound reproduction in rooms. Detailed design information for DIY construction of a subwoofer and an open-baffle speaker with exceptional fidelity. Dipole loudspeaker design for true to the original sound reproduction with minimal room interaction.

Those two cover pretty much everything you need to know about dipole speakers. Some of it gets kinda heavy with the math, but when I first started reading them I used to skip over that and just try to understand the concepts. Now I'm slowly getting into a little bit of the math as I'm trying to design my own speakers.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"