X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin Haskins
    • Jan 2005

EX-6.5 Now Available DIY

Hey... thought I'd drop in here and let the speaker builders know that these are being sold as raw drivers now.

I spent some time on the documentation this morning. Let me know if you see any glaring errors.

exodusaudio.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, exodusaudio.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

For an idea of scale, here is a driver next to the RS-180. Both are the same format driver but the motor of the EX-6.5 is dwarfed by the Dayton unit.

• Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Kevin. How much do these Retail for and does your company have wholesale accounts for speaker companies?

Jed

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

$75. Nice price.

It would be nice to see some unsmoothed curves though. Warts and all.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
        • Nov 2004

Kevin, that is one sexy driver you have made there. Nice work!

I also felt a bit of nostalgia reading the .pdf file. Almost like I was back in 2001 reading about any particular Adire product.
        My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jed
          Kevin. How much do these Retail for and does your company have wholesale accounts for speaker companies?

Jed
          Yea... retail is $75 and you would have to contact me off-line about wholesale. I do most of my wholesale stuff by the seat of the pants.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by tktran
            $75. Nice price.

It would be nice to see some unsmoothed curves though. Warts and all.
            There isn't much in that curve that is changed by 1/6th octave smoothing. The unsmoothed curve is identical but I've standardized on 1/6th for all my driver measurements.

I'm going through the entire lineup and getting FR & Z for the bigger woofers and the 1/6th octave helps cover some of their warts higher up in the FR range (the bigger woofers). As you move further out into the far-field many of the response issues even out also. I do most of my design measurements at about 1.5-2m because that is closer to what you are going to see at the listening position. If you try to equalize too much in the crossover (for near-field response issues) you end with poor results.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Scott Simonian
              Kevin, that is one sexy driver you have made there. Nice work!

I also felt a bit of nostalgia reading the .pdf file. Almost like I was back in 2001 reading about any particular Adire product.
              I have some pictures of this next to the Extremis too. The motor on the Extremis had a little more stroke but if you look carefully, the EX-6.5 has a larger roll surround. Out near the limits that allows this driver to have a little more usable stroke but not enough to get excited about. We also give up some cone area because of the nipple so it's a push.

The balance of parameters though are such that the EX-6.5 doesn't need as much excursion capability. It is a smaller box driver and more efficient so it gives up some bandwidth to the Extremis. I like the tradeoff though and it goes plenty low in the ported alignments. Low enough in-room that many people at VSAC wouldn't believe me that I didn't have a subwoofer running.

Comment

• Quwiksilver
                • Apr 2007

Kevin, that looks awesome! Two of these in an open baffle anyone?

Is there any chance we could get Zaph to do some distortion measurements on this guy?

Comment

• mazurek
                  • Mar 2006

This new driver of yours looks a lot like the B&C 6NDL38 I have (which I would give to Zaph to measure if he sends me a PM). I wonder how they would compare.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                    • Dec 2006

Kevin:

Is that blip in harmonic distortion at around 7kHz (Kepler) an artifact of the HDS tweeter, or is it a residual effect of cone breakup on the midrange?

Looks like a very nice driver, and a nice implementation in the Kepler as well, btw . . . makes me wish I wasn't all built out in speakers right now . . . :T

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
                      Kevin:

Is that blip in harmonic distortion at around 7kHz (Kepler) an artifact of the HDS tweeter, or is it a residual effect of cone breakup on the midrange?

Looks like a very nice driver, and a nice implementation in the Kepler as well, btw . . . makes me wish I wasn't all built out in speakers right now . . . :T
                      We THINK that blip was from a rub on the VC of the tweeter. We couldn't get them to do a follow-up measurement on another unit to see. It was too high for a cabinet buzz and it is WAY out of the bandwidth of the woofer. I'm using a 4th order acoustical @ 1.5K on the woofer.

I had that speaker in another chamber in Seattle and we didn't see anything at lower levels to indicate there was a problem on that unit but it could have been a gremlin from shipping or it just didn't show-up until you really cranked on the tweeter.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                        it is WAY out of the bandwidth of the woofer. I'm using a 4th order acoustical @ 1.5K on the woofer.
                        I noted that with approval in the SoundStage review, since "low and steep" is the approach I favor for dealing with cone breakup. I doubt that anyone would hear it . Still, I'd like to see further exploration of what's going on with the midrange at that frequency, even with the driving signal > 50dB down.

I've got this "thing" about cone breakup . . . can't get too little of it . . .

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
                          I noted that with approval in the SoundStage review, since "low and steep" is the approach I favor for dealing with cone breakup. I doubt that anyone would hear it . Still, I'd like to see further exploration of what's going on with the midrange at that frequency, even with the driving signal > 50dB down.

I've got this "thing" about cone breakup . . . can't get too little of it . . .
                          Most of it is a broad 10dB peak @ 4-5K, and there is a pesky peak @ 1.5K in the PE cabinet. My electrical filter is 10dB down @ 1.5K to achieve both the 4th order acoustic and to give it some baffle step.

It is a paper cone, but a light one that isn't super duper in the dampening department. Some of the break-up is surround related too because we are using that big 12mm roll surround so that we can use all that stroke.

I doubt that little burp at 8K is audible, simply because that measurement is at 101dB @ 1M and it's still less than 5% THD.

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

Mmmmmm. I've been hoping these would become available. Would love to use some in a dipole project that's been cooking for a couple years.

C
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                              I doubt that little burp at 8K is audible, simply because that measurement is at 101dB @ 1M and it's still less than 5% THD.
                              At my age there aren't *any* audible harmonics of 8kHz . . . . . . but I still worry about breakup related non-linearities generating IM and "Spectral Contamination" when there's other signal on the cone. Since just about nobody is publishing multi-tone IM tests (especially with some of the tones sitting in the breakup region) I tend to notice anything that might serve as a proxy, or suggest odd behavior that might be folding back down into a more significant, and audible, frequency range.

I think your lower-than-most 4th order crosover addresses the issue as it should be addressed, and would expect the Kepler to sound clean because of it. The reviewer seemed to agree . . . . Letting the motor establish excursion limits rather than the suspension seems a good design choice as well, although not an easy one to accomplish with such a long throw motor. I hope the driver sees a lot of use out there, and does well for you . . .

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"