X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

Upgrade from org. Tempest to SDX-15?

Hi everyone,

As what usually happens to most of us, I have gotten bitten by the upgrade bug. I am thinking of upgrading my 10 cubic foot ported @ 18 Hz Tempest sub to a new SDX-15. This is the original Tempest offered by Adire and not the Tempest-X. I would be building a new cabinet, as this one is a bit too big. I also have much more experience with wood working now, and more tools to back it up.

You can see old pics of my current sub HERE. Some of you might even remember it , as it's kind of monolithic and pseudo-industrialistic/ugly.

The amp is a CSS 250R plate amp, 250W/360W @ 8/4ohm. I am thinking of keeping this for the new sub, but in contacting Rob at CSS he feels it might be too anemic for the SDX-15. What are most people using for this driver, or I should say how much power? The current room it's in is roughly 26x14x8.

I searched here on the site for past SDX-15 cabinet designs but didn't come up with much. It's main duty will be for music. My current rig was designed mostly for movies, but my home theatre hasn't magically manifested itself yet so it has seen little movie use.

So, the final question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Haha, I guess that is a foolish question with too many variables... Ok how about this. Can you guys talk me into building a new toy? I am on the brink.

Thanks.
  • brent_s
    • Jun 2006

WinISD Pro or Unibox would be your friends here.

You mention smaller cabinet. Worthwhile depends on how much that reduced cabinet is worth to you and what else, if anything, you're looking to change/improve over the Tempest?

I don't have the original Tempest in my WinISD library, but ran your 10/18hz box against a Dayton DVC15 which is a near clone of the original Tempest. I put the SDX15 in 7 ft^3/18hz since you said you wanted to go smaller. I'm not in the LLT crowd so consider 7 ft^3 large myself. I've got a 6.4^3 gross internal cabinet in a dedicated room and think that's as large as I'd ever want to go.

From 18hz up with 360 watts, the Tempest (DVC15) would have anywhere from 0.5-2.5dB advantage, depending on frequency. The difference is, you're only using about half of the SDX15's available excursion while the Tempest/DVC15 model is approaching it's rated Xmax at some frequencies. CSS is suggesting a larger amp to utilize more of the SDX15's available excursion, which will give you more overall SPL than the Tempest/DVC15 is capable of due to less excursion. In terms of efficiency, the models suggest the Tempst/DVC15/SDX15 will produce pretty much the same SPL for a given input power. If you're happy with the SPL you have today, especially if you're not pushing the Tempest to its limits, then a bigger amp on the SDX15 probably won't do anything but lighten your wallet.

Another driver I'd take a look at is DIYCable's Maelstrom-X. Pricier at $350, but with a big enough amp, say 2000w, it can match or exceed the SPL output of the Tempest/DVC15 in a 4.5 ft^3 sealed box...now that's smaller. :-)

-Brent

Comment

• tktran
      • Jan 2005

I take it you've seen the measurements over that Hometheatershack?

If you want a small box eg. 3.5cu ft you may need some 3000W RMS, but it certainly can play low, cleanly:

Comment

• maximumshow
        • Nov 2004

Brent, ideally I am looking to go with a smaller cabinet AND improve output. I am still considering the Maelstrom-x, but there is a $100+ on the price tag compared to the SDX as well as much higher shipping costs (I live in Canada). I wont rule it out yet, but it's high vas has me worried.

Thanks for those numbers and the links tktran. I am currently pestering a friend of mine who has two EP2500s he's not using to sell me one .

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"